Fleet maintenance system

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently changed jobs and am tasked with creating a system to manage the maintenance at our facility. I spent time in the past using professional operating systems like NAPA TRACS to keep record of maintenance and inventory. At my new position we won't have to bill out tickets for customers like the past, but have to find a system we can accommodate anything from small engines to wheel loaders to agricultural tractors and keep records. All said probably 100+ pieces plus their inventory to account for. An operating system like TRACS is $170 or more a month for subscription. Are there more affordable options short of a Google docs/ spreadsheet to account for this task?

I maintain equipment and facilities at my workplace and looked at numerous CMMS software. Because I do not have to manipulate data regarding costs, etc., I reverted to just making up my own simple Excel system to maintain inventory, preventive maintenance, repair maintenance, and history. Simple is better in my case. But you will have to match your system to your needs.

I tried out and liked this software. One time fee, but costs can escalate if you need multiple station use or add optional modules.

http://www.mtcpro.com/products.htm

I'm sure others with more experience will chime in to provide assistance.

Will your employer pay for software for this task?

I'm not familiar with any software for this, of course you could create a spreadhseets to do this yourself, but if your doing it for scratch it will take considerable time and you'll need to test your formulas etc.

I guess you are going to have to capture all of the mileage logs or hours of service in your app. Do you have a list of the full requirements?

OK, go talk to the boss first. Ask about how they did it in the past. Maybe there are old log books, etc. Maybe you could use that data to seed your system ...

At the ranch we write everything on the radiator support in sharpie and note in log books. It's manual, but does well enough. And any operator or mechanic can look right at the equipment and see what's up.

Things like tranny/clutch changes, final drive overhauls, in-frame majors get a flagged page in log books. Just spiral bound note-books with history of equipment from day bought. The equipment itself carries the service record for instant access. Junk-yard marker paint or sharpie is pretty good at staying alive until next service
smile.gif

State of Cali does same thing, or did until I retired. Red service history log book in the glove box. Their carrot/stick - you don't keep your book up to date, you may get delayed on repairs ... Some folks won't ever put in book, but 90% do and the book is good from day one to auction
smile.gif

It's right there any time it needs review. Any shop, any town, any time ...

Last edited:
I use fleet VIP for my small fleet of vehicles and it is expandable , they give you a free version to play with then after 2 units it gots into a pay system

Originally Posted By: JC1
Will your employer pay for software for this task?

Do you have a list of the full requirements?

I am slowly buying into the operation so employer paying for this will eventually become me paying for it.
Currently have some equipment with 20+ years of records on paper in folders in the shop filing drawers. They have a list of inspection items and the intervals copied on pages for that item. So I am going to need to enter all the history data and then be able to add from there. The records now are all from oil services, actual repairs rarely/never got recorded. I want to be able to record all service, making repair orders for parts replaced as well not just oil services, as well as keeping track of other intervals (fuel filter/hydraulic filters/ etc).

I won't be the only person working with the system so I'm going to have to train everyone whichever route we go. Other people besides myself being able to see when it is time to do other services is a priority. At the moment it is very hard to tell when the hydraulic fluid was flushed last on a tractor and what the next hour interval will be for that without scouring through all the papers to find when it was last done.

I've always used an Excel spreadsheet. It's cheap and easy for anyone to use or look up past maintenance on anything we have. I did the same to handle our payroll. For our circumstance, it would be a waste of money to use anything other than Excel.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
This and a picture of odometer is all I do - and backup 2x ...

How do you search your records for specific repairs?
confused2.gif

If you going to use excel then just setup a google sheets worksheet that you can access from anywhere.

Having grown up in the construction industry, and not seeing a maintenance tracking option that fit my family's business well, I decided to start working on my own (on the side) about a year ago. Logaid allows for creating flexible service plans with service items based on time interval, hour meter interval, or odometer intervals. It also incorporates asset and employee time tracking, which in addition to job cost tracking, enables tracking of hour based service items on equipment with nonworking hour meters. I just recently got it up where people can try it out now. Take a look at logaid.com. I'd really appreciate any feedback as I'm trying to make it solution that will benefit a lot of different people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back