M1 0w40...FS vs European Car Formula?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: edyvw
Quote:
But they do in Canada. Weird eh?

Yes, Super3000 I think, right?
But that oil is typical HC oil. That is why I am thinking there is connection between M1 GTL base and loss of LL-01. Their VISOM and other base stocks in that category are still LL-01.

Well SOPUS, the Champion of GTL, has their 5w-40 approved but their 0w-40 not
21.gif
Both being GTL based. So it would seem that a GTL-based oil can in fact pass the testing. Strange situation for sure, as it is all just wild speculation at this point since nothing concrete has been established.

VISOM was supposed to just be a stop-gap until Mobil was producing GTL, it was never meant to be a long-term product based on their roadmap we discussed here a while back. I would think that they could mix it with PAO in whatever quantities necessary, like they did with VISOM, to get the performance needed
21.gif

Originally Posted By: edyvw
Exactly, and I have hard time believing that M1 just decided to drop LL-01. I would think that there is certain issue to their GTL and ad pack that makes it currently unsuitable to LL-01.

Who knows. We'll have to wait and see. Unless we get a statement of intent for XOM or a timeline from them, we don't have much of anything for information. From a consumer's standpoint, I'm not exactly impressed. This country isn't exactly swimming in cheap motor oils, and having an alternative to Castrol 0w-40 A3/B4 in an appropriate container size for LL-01 users is a nice thing. The Shell alternatives up here (not to mention GC 0w-30 and Castrol 5w-30 A3/B4 and the Imperial Oil Mobil 3000 product) aren't in the most helpful containers, with them being 1 L bottles, EcoBoxes, or 1200 litre pallets.

Got a response from Mobil today:

As of 11/15/15, Mobil removed the LL-01 specifications because BMW did not renew their contract with us.

Thank you for choosing Mobil,

Jxxx Axxxxxxx
Mobil Help Desk Team

I'm not sure how BMW would maintain a "contract" with a oil company that is not a factory OEM fill.

With Pennzoil, it might be that BMW precludes them from directly competing with the BMW labeled SOPUS product. The 5W-40 remains an exception to this since it preceded the SOPUS/BMW deal and has only limited distribution. Just a theory.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
Got a response from Mobil today:

As of 11/15/15, Mobil removed the LL-01 specifications because BMW did not renew their contract with us.

Jxxx Axxxxxxx
Mobil Help Desk Team

I'm not sure how BMW would maintain a "contract" with a oil company that is not a factory OEM fill.

With Pennzoil, it might be that BMW precludes them from directly competing with the BMW labeled SOPUS product. The 5W-40 remains an exception to this since it preceded the SOPUS/BMW deal and has only limited distribution. Just a theory.

LOL, what a bunch of malarky.
What they are saying: we sent oil for approval, and did not get approval back. Or: we knew we will not get approval, so we just dropped it.

Last edited:
Quote:

Jxxx Axxxxxxx
Mobil Help Desk Team

What contract are they referring to? The contract went from Castrol to SOPUS. XOM was never in the picture, AFAIK. You can't renew a contract which you don't have.

Unless they are just talking about losing the BMW bid to SOPUS, and as retaliation, dropping the BMW spec, but the only ones hurt by this would be XOM, so this makes no sense either.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
21.gif
Both being GTL based. So it would seem that a GTL-based oil can in fact pass the testing. Strange situation for sure, as it is all just wild speculation at this point since nothing concrete has been established.

It's very likely that BMW will not allow Pennzoil to state their 0W-40 euro oil is LL-01 approved since BMW offers the same oil, branded as BMW Twin-Power Turbo. Same goes for the PPE 5W-30 LL-01 (not available in U.S.).

Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
21.gif

It's very likely that BMW will not allow Pennzoil to state their 0W-40 euro oil is LL-01 approved since BMW offers the same oil, branded as BMW Twin-Power Turbo. Same goes for the PPE 5W-30 LL-01 (not available in U.S.).

Back when Castrol was the supplier though, BMW sold the 10w-60 as did Castrol
21.gif
Though I don't recall Castrol selling an LL-01 5w-30.

Hi everyone new guy here, just looking around for oil recently for my 08 challenger and wanted to use mobile 1 and didn't realize its only available now in the European formula for 0-40, should I be even considering using this or no ? I have read that some of you believe its actually better stuff or should I just pay way to much money and buy into the whole pennsoil ultra platinum SRT oil thing, the one with SRT on the bottle. I just purchased this car in November so its been sitting in my garage all winter and I want to change the oil before I take it out for the season, it has 7000 miles on it so its still new as far as Im concerned. and god only knows what the dealership put in it before I took delivery so its getting changed before I drive it again. any help would be appreciated. thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back