2.4 multi air under valve cover

Status
Not open for further replies.
14jokd2.jpg

The spark plug tubes started to leak very slightly so I am replacing the gasket and tube seals. Look how that multi air is setup....weird little thing! Engines clean though.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
How many miles on it? Also what is your first name since I've never caught it before?

Dakota. And 31,000 and some change. So not enough to justify the issue but it's easy to fix

Originally Posted By: spasm3
31k miles on a dodge dart and you need to replace the valve cover gasket? Was it leaking that bad?

The spark plug tube seals seal the tubes and the bolt next to the cylinder in the center of the valve cover those bolts were pooled up with oil.

31k miles on a dodge dart and you need to replace the valve cover gasket? Was it leaking that bad?
Originally Posted By: ram_man
I gather it's a common problem.

Interesting, the jeep renegade we are looking at has a 2.4 multi-air. I assume its the same engine?

Interesting, the jeep renegade we are looking at has a 2.4 multi-air. I assume its the same engine?

Yes it is. A few had oil consumption issues but other than that they're good engines.

Ugh, multiair... Too complicated for what it does, especially since VVT works so well. At 31k, and a leaker, it would be back at whatever Dodge or FIAT dealer it came from for repairs if mine, complete with the proper amount of grousing about it for good measure.
We have them at work in the ProMaster City. 2 have already gone to heck with blown head gaskets, both less than 25k miles. Not off to a good start.
Good luck with yours.

Originally Posted By: beanoil
Ugh, multiair... Too complicated for what it does, especially since VVT works so well. At 31k, and a leaker, it would be back at whatever Dodge or FIAT dealer it came from for repairs if mine, complete with the proper amount of grousing about it for good measure.
We have them at work in the ProMaster City. 2 have already gone to heck with blown head gaskets, both less than 25k miles. Not off to a good start.
Good luck with yours.

You've had head gasket issues on a 2.4? I've heard of virtually nothing like that on the dart forums.
For 40 bucks and 30 mins time I just prefer to do it myself it's a bigger hassle to go to the dealer.

I won't complain about it my old 14 Ford Focus has 25 issues including leaking oil in 23,000 my dart has had one minor thing a lot of people would have not even noticed

The fact that your 2014 Focus had more issues doesn't make this acceptable. But i hope this is the extent of premature issues for you.

Originally Posted By: wemay
The fact that your 2014 Focus had more issues doesn't make this acceptable. But i hope this is the extent of premature issues for you.

Agree but it's better than what I had and it's a minor issue. Not debilitating or anything.

As usual the double standard is clearly evident. A Honda with a stretched timing chain, and at least a second actuator is OK and actually considered normal with only 120k. But when a domestic needs a repair, no matter how small or easy to do, it's a big NO NO.

Last edited:

You don't want a Renegade sir. Tons of odd electronic problems and other problems.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Hmmm.....the fact you need to remove the valve cover at 31k miles tells me enough about the quality that I'll pass.

Oh does it? Do you have any idea how many vehicles (of all makes) with the same or less miles go in every day for warranty repair of silly little things like a leaky gasket? How about more major things?

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
As usual the double standard is clearly evident. A Honda with a stretched timing chain, and at least a second actuator is OK and actually considered normal with only 120k. But when a domestic needs a repair, no matter how small or easy to do, it's a big NO NO.

Does anyone want to mention the Honda civics that were getting engines replaced left and right under warrany? My friend is a honda tech and said it was at least 2-3 a week for quite awhile. But dodge makes a seeping valve cover gasket and we should avoid it like the plague. The double standard is very apparent!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back