Glock striker control device - the gadget

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JDM396
.......you've yet to provide why it's such a problem that others use it?

There is nothing to provide because I never said that. You are assuming that. It's not a "problem". If they can't run an issue Glock without shooting themselves, they are the problem.

In all this hissy fit you've thrown about this thing, you've yet to provide why it's such a problem that others use it?

It's just another case of someone thinking the whole world should operate like they do. Guess what, people operate how they see fit - that's what making your own decisions in life is all about. If someone wants to add a safety feature to their Glock then who cares.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
It's just another case of someone thinking the whole world should operate like they do. Guess what, people operate how they see fit - that's what making your own decisions in life is all about. If someone wants to add a safety feature to their Glock then who cares.

I agree with you 100%. Just don't presume to tell me that it's going to make them operate a weapon "safer". It won't. If the rules of gun safety are practiced 100% of the time, every time, as they should be, add on parts like this are completely unnecessary. I also agree with you that if everyone would "operate" like myself, and many others do, (for over a half a century without ever having a safety indiscretion), gimmick junk like this wouldn't be on the market. You cannot supplement safe gun handling by adding contraptions to any gun, Glock or otherwise.

^^^ Cars also wouldn't need seat belts and high tech safety features if everyone knew how to drive and handle a car safely.
grin.gif

Cars also wouldn't need seat belts and high tech safety features if everyone knew how to drive and handle a car safely.

Nowhere near the same thing.

Originally Posted By: billt460
Cars also wouldn't need seat belts and high tech safety features if everyone knew how to drive and handle a car safely.

Nowhere near the same thing.

Sure it is. If everyone was a total expert at safely handling a car there would be no need for any safety equipment.

That's your claim with guns ... if they are handled correctly & safely they don't need any extra safety gadgets.

Sure it is. If everyone was a total expert at safely handling a car there would be no need for any safety equipment.

That's your claim with guns ... if they are handled correctly & safely they don't need any extra safety gadgets.

OK, I'll play. I just bought a brand new Jeep Grand Cherokee not that long ago. It's got "lane departure warnings". It has automatic braking if it gets too close to the car in front of it. Or if it creeps up on the back of another vehicle with the cruise control on. It has back up alarms if something gets too close to the rear, or the sides of the vehicle. It even has a backup camera with a 8" screen so you can see everything behind you. Complete with little colored lines that bend as you turn the wheel, to show you where you're going.

I've seen several of them wrecked. When I took mine in to have a bad strut replaced, there was a black one with half of the rear quarter panel wiped out, all the way into the rear passenger door, with white paint smeared all over it. I asked the service tech what happened. He told me some woman wiped it out backing out of the garage. So all of those devices are meaningless....... To an idiot who can't drive to begin with. Just like every "safety device" you can put, or add on a gun isn't going to make an idiot handling one any "safer".

^^^ People still need to be smart enough to understand how the "safety features" work, be it on a car, a gun or anything else that's potentially dangerous to operate. If the person handling a gun doesn't understand the functionality of the safety feature then it doesn't do much good.

In your example above, that kind of backup safety feature probably saved 100 people for every 1 that didn't use it properly because they were just a plain bad driver and shouldn't even have been behind the wheel. Now if she would have been a total expert driver, she probably wouldn't even need rear view mirrors let alone a backup camera and proximity sensor system. I'm sure there are safety features on firearms that have help way more people handle it more safely than not.

People still need to be smart enough to understand how the "safety features" work, be it on a car, a gun or anything else that's potentially dangerous to operate. If the person handling a gun doesn't understand the functionality of the safety feature then it doesn't do much good.

In your example above, that kind of backup safety feature probably saved 100 people for every 1 that didn't use it properly because they were just a plain bad driver and shouldn't even have been behind the wheel. Now if she would have been a total expert driver, she probably wouldn't even need rear view mirrors let alone a backup camera and proximity sensor system. I'm sure there are safety features on firearms that have help way more people handle it more safely than not.

And as I've proven, too many don't, regardless if it's cars or guns. Point being that woman was an idiot. No amount of safety devices were going to save her. She managed to override all 4 of them, and wreck her vehicle in the process. You have the exact same situation with guns. You can either operate a motor vehicle safely, or you cannot. The exact same can be said about firearms. It doesn't matter how many safeties they have or don't have. No mechanical device can, or will protect someone from themselves. Politicians have been trying that for years. How successful have they been? And let's at least be real. You don't have to be a, "totally expert driver", to back your car out of a garage without wrecking it.

.......you've yet to provide why it's such a problem that others use it?

There is nothing to provide because I never said that. You are assuming that. It's not a "problem". If they can't run an issue Glock without shooting themselves, they are the problem.

The very fact that you're still here whining about non-existent scenarios pertaining to this accessory shows that you're emotionally involved. Rather your ego is. You can't stand it that someone does something different than you, and it works for them.

I agree with you 100%. Just don't presume to tell me that it's going to make them operate a weapon "safer". It won't. If the rules of gun safety are practiced 100% of the time, every time, as they should be, add on parts like this are completely unnecessary. I also agree with you that if everyone would "operate" like myself, and many others do, (for over a half a century without ever having a safety indiscretion), gimmick junk like this wouldn't be on the market. You cannot supplement safe gun handling by adding contraptions to any gun, Glock or otherwise.

If the rules were followed 100% of the time, then no platform would ever require any safety at all. So that blows your theory out of the water.

Do you run your ARs off safe? Do you run your 1911s with "the answer" and with the TS off? If not you're a hypocrite.

"Contraptions" evolve as carry options evolve. Don't like it? Don't use them. But don't tell anyone they're unsafe until you have some real world proof these people don't follow the basic and THEN add another level of safety as they see fit. I know it's hard for certain demographics of shooters to accept, but that's just the way life is.

Last edited:

OK, I'll play. I just bought a brand new Jeep Grand Cherokee not that long ago. It's got "lane departure warnings". It has automatic braking if it gets too close to the car in front of it. Or if it creeps up on the back of another vehicle with the cruise control on. It has back up alarms if something gets too close to the rear, or the sides of the vehicle. It even has a backup camera with a 8" screen so you can see everything behind you. Complete with little colored lines that bend as you turn the wheel, to show you where you're going.

I've seen several of them wrecked. When I took mine in to have a bad strut replaced, there was a black one with half of the rear quarter panel wiped out, all the way into the rear passenger door, with white paint smeared all over it. I asked the service tech what happened. He told me some woman wiped it out backing out of the garage. So all of those devices are meaningless....... To an idiot who can't drive to begin with. Just like every "safety device" you can put, or add on a gun isn't going to make an idiot handling one any "safer".

You're a pretty egocentric individual if you believe that your one anecdote negates a safety feature. It would be near impossible to quantify the progression of safety features on a car and how many accidents they've helped avoid. But you talk to service tech and it negates all that lol?? Do your eyes roll back in your head every time you assert your perceived perfection?
whistle.gif

If the rules were followed 100% of the time, then no platform would ever require any safety at all.

Hey! Now your finally catching on. Good for you. I knew you would come around.

You're a pretty egocentric individual if you believe that your one anecdote negates a safety feature.

Do you actually think she's the only one? How about 4 safety features? And she still managed to wreck it. Some people shouldn't drive because they're idiots. No matter how "safe" you try to make the vehicle they operate. It's no different with guns. You can't fix stupid with a device.... Any device on any machine.

If the rules were followed 100% of the time, then no platform would ever require any safety at all.

You're being obtuse, I'd wager you've clicked off a safety on an AR, 1911, BHP, AK or something of the like, before. Meaning, you've used a safety feature on a firearm platform, if you're experienced as you say you are.

Last edited:
You're a pretty egocentric individual if you believe that your one anecdote negates a safety feature.

Do you actually think she's the only one? How about 4 safety features? And she still managed to wreck it. Some people shouldn't drive because they're idiots. No matter how "safe" you try to make the vehicle they operate. It's no different with guns. You can't fix stupid with a device.... Any device on any machine.

Stop, just stop. You've argued yourself into a hole. Do you somehow believe that those features and many like them, haven't help avoid an exponentially higher number of accidents? Sure you're going to have someone that tests all the limits of safety features, but that doesn't negate the use of them on a widescale.

Well...after all this debate and name-calling, I've decided that I will buy one and install it, just to see how I like it.

My Glock holsters are all Safariland kydex, but I still prefer to thumb check a pistol into a holster, particularly when re-holstering quickly. I might do another shooting match with these guys: http://www.hrshootersguide.com/second-saturday-series.html and had planned to try my G17 this time around.

Cheers.

Magically remove every safety feature on every firearm in the world and see what happens. IMO, a safety feature is worth while if it prevents AD as long as it doesn't hamper the proper use of the firearm.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Glock perfection, if why so many after market gizmos?

Ask PT Barnum (sucker born every minute)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back