Max interval for Napa Silver?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a bunch of Napa Silvers I got very cheap. I am curious to know your opinions on the max OC interval I can run them.

All are on well maintained, higher mileage vehicles that are driven 80-90% highway. Thanks all.

I'd be comfortable running them probably 6 months/5000 miles or a little longer, or following the OLM if you have one. They're quality filters but just not suited for super long drains. 6 months/5000 miles with Maxlife (or any oil) -perfect. 1 year/10,000 miles with M1EP- probably not. They're a good filter, just not built for extended drains. However, Wix recommends them for 3 months/3000 mile changes. I think they're good a while past that.

I'd start st 5k and see how well they push out 1k MI at a time. ADBV would be my concern, nitrile can harden, especially since it is the bypass valve also. Wouldn't want that thing to turn into a wix XP

Cali Fleet Admin ran experiments years ago to determine best ROI for vehicles. They included all operating costs. Paralleled an oil filter change strategy test and came up with filter changes every other oil change. State mandates 6,000 oil changes for everything but severe duty (Fire Trucks in the heat of summer/fall can go less because they get so much smoke and ash contamination - get all filters changed more often...).

I went that way after reading papers on retained oil at change time. So I do my filters every other also, and not the day of the oil change, but usually a week later. It's kinda nice to not have to juggle drain oil and filter oil at the same time. I can set up a drain to catch just the filter oil and make less mess
smile.gif

So, saying all that, since the above tests were done using whatever filters were at hand, or low bid contract supplier; they were/are getting 12K out of non-premium filters. Why wouldn't these be good for the same run?

If the motor is decent and in mid-life, unless you loose a head gasket or something, it is making very small amounts of contaminates. 12K should be easily doable
smile.gif

Step up to a premium filter and maybe go three changes ...

Last edited:
I wouldn't go above 5k due to nitrile ADBV... but I have. Put about 10k on one in a Seabring a couple years back. Cut it open after and it looked just fine, even the adbv was soft. Actually, might have posted pics back then, you could search me if you want.

I have run pro selects and silvers for 5-6k and the ADBV was still good and flexible.

Originally Posted By: E150GT
unless you cut it open after a run youll never know whether it was ok to run or not.

No kidding.Never would have thought of that.

Last edited:
There is a member that cut one open at 7k it was still in good shape but another one at 10k and the media waa falling apart. I use them and the proselects except for my fall into winter change then I use a gold cause of the silicon adbv.

They are sturdy well made filters particularly for their price bracket. But typical of an entry level filter (except the orange can) they have all paper cellulose media, so filtering efficiency and capacity is not great. And I wouldn't normally expect it to be for 3 bucks.

I have used and cut a bunch of them. I would feel comfortable personally running one 5k, beyond that I'd not be so sure.

For what it's worth, Napa markets these as 3 to 4k filters.

They must meet OEM specs as set out in the owner's manual. Mostly highway miles I would be comfortable running them to 12,000 miles in my vehicles.

Id go 6 months 10k miles if you drive that much. Proselect I used 6 months 6k miles and could of gone easily further. ADBV was still flexible. I think time is more of a factor when speaking of nitrile adbv. I wouldnt exceed 8 months of use regardless of mileage (my personal opinion).

Thank you all for the great replies. Since we do drive 90% highway, I have changed them at every other 5000 mile OC. I know 10K is a lot of miles for the NS, but most of our vehicles non-severe service schedules call for 7500 OC anyways, so I figured going 2500 extra miles on them isn't "that" much more. I also assumed the hot TX climate would help keep the ADBV flexible, too.

When my supply of the Silvers is used up, I will go back to NAPA Gold.

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
Thank you all for the great replies. Since we do drive 90% highway, I have changed them at every other 5000 mile OC. I know 10K is a lot of miles for the NS, but most of our vehicles non-severe service schedules call for 7500 OC anyways, so I figured going 2500 extra miles on them isn't "that" much more. I also assumed the hot TX climate would help keep the ADBV flexible, too.

When my supply of the Silvers is used up, I will go back to NAPA Gold.

I think the heat would make the valve harden more quickly, noticed especially at cold start up.. For the low cost of that filter, I wouldn't even consider two runs.

Last edited:
The new Mobil AP oil filters use nitrile and they are rated for 20k.

So what makes you think a NAPA silver can't go >5k on a nitrile ADBV? I'm not suggesting running these to 20k, but for vehicles equipped with an OLM, I can't imagine there would be any problem running these to 7-8k.

Agreed. I don't use the NS on our Honda Odyssey, but if I did, the OLM takes the Honda out to 10,000 miles, because we do so much interstate cruising. I am thinking the NS would do OK with this 10K use.

My House Rule states not to use a nitrile filter beyond 5K. That's why I always purchase silicone and use them for two OCIs (10K).

I see great deals on filters like the Silver. I always Pass. It's not about saving a couple bucks per filter to me. Id rather pay twice-as-much and get more quality there.

All my future filter purchases will be the Fram Ultra. It's the best bang for the buck.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
My House Rule states not to use a nitrile filter beyond 5K. That's why I always purchase silicone and use them for two OCIs (10K).

I see great deals on filters like the Silver. I always Pass. It's not about saving a couple bucks per filter to me. Id rather pay twice-as-much and get more quality there.

All my future filter purchases will be the Fram Ultra. It's the best bang for the buck.

I would rather use a silver, changed at 5k than a more costly filter, used for two 5k runs. Leaving that dirty oil behind in the filter is the reason.

Originally Posted By: TmanP
I'd be comfortable running them probably 6 months/5000 miles or a little longer, or following the OLM if you have one. They're quality filters but just not suited for super long drains. 6 months/5000 miles with Maxlife (or any oil) -perfect. 1 year/10,000 miles with M1EP- probably not. They're a good filter, just not built for extended drains. However, Wix recommends them for 3 months/3000 mile changes. I think they're good a while past that.

+1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back