Coffee - Your Current Brew

I've heard the same about coffee in the freezer, not sure why, something about the natural oil in the beans. You've had quite a world tour with coffee. Is the Moka pot anything like Greek or Armenian coffee? I never understood when people say Starbucks tastes burned, it seems to me that a lot of other cafes serve weak, and somewhat tangy coffee.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
I'm joining late so I guess I will ad hoc, yet somewhat randomly, drop in some comments.

Best coffee I had brewed for me was in Brazil. Amazing body and flavor. Served pretty sweet and thick, and no milk at all, but not acidic in the least. Cloth sock filter.

Italians say Americans enjoy coffee that is too oily. I think I know what they mean, but that oil adds to the body. I think folks like a coffee with a good mouthfeel, but not too bright - not too acidic. I have tried a couple Lavazza bought from Amazon. Disappointing to say the least. Too acid, maybe old, no oil at all.

Moka pot is my favorite method, but not sure about aluminum - so once a week or so. French press method is my usual daily method.

I live and breathe in the shadow of Starbucks and generally agree with the charbucks comments. It's analogous to the overly hopped ales (for the style) in the PNW. That said, I find the Starbucks Italian Roast to make the very best brew with my moka pot. These beans from the right store are fresh, oily and awesome. I also like the Pike Place blend.

We have a Saeco espresso machine. It's a piece of junk.

We always store our beans in the freezer, sealed up. This is bad?? Why???

If you enjoy Fivebucks coffee, Lavazza is never going to cut it because it is a lighter roast. I personally prefer darker roasted beans such as Caffe' Mauro and Kimbo. Keep in mind that they are still nowhere near the dark roast that you are used to.

You may want to get a stainless steel moka if you are worried.

I'm not sure what issues you've had with your Saeco but they don't like oily beans.

Keep beans in a dark airtight container and consume within two weeks. Beans that are kept in fridges and freezers are susceptible to absorbing food odours.

Roasted on 3/22. Received on 3/24. Tried it first time this morning... super smooth and great crema. It'll probably get even better in a couple of days.

DSC_7795-2.jpg

Originally Posted By: asiancivicmaniac
Currently, the organic single origin Honduras beans from Aldi. It's really good.

Yes, that does sound good. How much does that run? Prob don't have a ground version.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Originally Posted By: asiancivicmaniac
Currently, the organic single origin Honduras beans from Aldi. It's really good.

Yes, that does sound good. How much does that run? Prob don't have a ground version.

IIRC, it was $4.99. I didn't see a ground one.

Originally Posted By: Pablo

I live and breathe in the shadow of Starbucks and generally agree with the charbucks comments. It's analogous to the overly hopped ales (for the style) in the PNW. That said, I find the Starbucks Italian Roast to make the very best brew with my moka pot. These beans from the right store are fresh, oily and awesome. I also like the Pike Place blend.

My youngest works at Starbucks, so she brings home a bag of beans each week. Well, she takes some to her mom and others, but I get my turn in the rotation too.

There are two varieties I ask her to bring me. Italian Roast and Christmas Blend.

I ask that when CB comes out, I'm getting her bag each week until they are out.

When I go there, I skip the sugary flavored coffee drinks and ask for a Grande Italian Roast done in their Clover machine in a Venti cup.

I will do that in the French press or a stainless cone as a pour over depending on the time I have.

Occasionally, she'll bring something from their reserve collection that has been marked out. I don't recall any varieties I like better than the two mentioned above.

Say what you will about *$, but they seem to take care of their employees. When she turned 18, I had her contribute enough to her 401(k) to get the max match. I don't know many places that offer the benefits *$ does to part time workers.

She was even awarded stock as her 2016 bonus. Not bad treatment of a part time worker by a giant corporation.

I setup an account at gocoffeego.com on the auto ship plan and it sends me out a 12oz bag every two weeks. All I have to do is keep my list current. All beans are roasted to order, so my order goes in on Sunday, they roast it on Monday and I have it by Wednesday night.

Last order was some El Socorro - Yellow Reserve from PT's Coffee.

Currently drinking Guatemala Antigua Hunapu from Klatch.

Next up is William and Maria - Costa Rica from 1000 Faces.

I just wanted to try different coffees from around the world thru different roasters and this seemed to be a good choice. There are 18 different roasters you can order from all in one spot.

Originally Posted By: Duffyjr
I setup an account at gocoffeego.com on the auto ship plan and it sends me out a 12oz bag every two weeks.

What are their shipping charges like?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Duffyjr
I setup an account at gocoffeego.com on the auto ship plan and it sends me out a 12oz bag every two weeks.

What are their shipping charges like?

It's $5.75 per shipment but I forgot to mention every sixth shipment is free shipping. I know it is a little spendy but there is only one guy in town that roasts coffee and he only roasts once a month or so and he roasts most of his beans to medium or darker, I prefer light to medium roasts. So, rock and a hard place if I want to drink fresh coffee.

Trying this stuff for the first time. It's probably the lightest roast I've ever used for making espresso. The taste is on the lighter side as well. Good for straight espresso shots, but it gets a little lost in milk-based drinks.

D72_0984.jpg

D72_0988.jpg

D72_0993.jpg

Current brew is a 50/50 blend. Folger's Black Silk/ New England French Vanilla. I drink it old and cold and black. Cold brings out the vanilla. I walk out of the door with 48 oz of this every morning. Coffee Straight out of the pot into my travel mug and thermos. I stopped with sugar early and whitener afterward. Black is so much easier to prepare. If it isn't burned, it won't upset my stomach. Maybe fresh ground tastes better, I don't know. Grinding beans is a hassle. French presses are more hassle. I go for coffee that is on sale. Or store brand french roast. I don't like a caffeine buzz, but I don't like weak coffee either. Thing about black is that it is easy to tune with plain water.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
My usual Starbucks French Roast.

Now you tell me after you got me hooked on PEETS "French roast" :^)

Originally Posted By: car51
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
My usual Starbucks French Roast.

Now you tell me after you got me hooked on PEETS "French roast" :^)

Haha man Peet's French Roast has been mia down here
frown.gif
That stuff seems to be rare as hen's teeth! I miss my Peet's!!

Back