Filthy under valve cover, valve train is clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Chris142
Those engines often crack heads under the valve covers.

It was ONLY "706" head castings ONLY used on 5.3L/4.8L engines cast by a certain foundry that had that issue & not even all those crack, Those do look like 706's though?

My 02 has been short tripped a lot and the valve covers didn't look real bad. It helps that I stay in a warm climate and having efans means the engine warms up faster.
bZN4Cxk.jpg

0PTCdoS.jpg

Last edited:
wow... how weird is that.
Hope that's not the norm... if so perhaps they should have on the maintenance schedule to clean/replace after x-miles or x-time.
eek.gif
That's not Crisco cool.

I would think that if there were cracks in the heads, all the oil would look like the oil on the covers, but that's not the case. My opinion is condensation from short trips in a cold climate.

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
I would think that if there were cracks in the heads, all the oil would look like the oil on the covers, but that's not the case. My opinion is condensation from short trips in a cold climate.

Ive seen enough to know that it doesn't always work that way. Usually the oil that drains out of the sump is kind of a chocolate color and hard to distinguish from regular used oil. So far, the best way I've found is to shine a light through it- just a little led pen light. The chocolate color will be much more noticeable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back