Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30, 4,810 miles, 2016 Audi A3 2.0T

Status
Not open for further replies.
Miles on oil 4,810
Miles on engine 9,810

1,000 miles dumped the FF and put in Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30
5,000 miles oil change with Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30
9,810 miles oil change with Mobil 1 ESP again

Typical high iron in a VAG engine. The TBN starts at 6.46. I would like to see how the new low sulfur gas would affect the TBN now?

uoa_zpsf2rehrwp.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like the oil is holding up well to ~ 5k mile OCI, still has enough TBN (2.1 from 6.46) and viscosity is still OK at 11.2 cSt.

The oil looks to have a decent add pack, at approx 780 ppm Zn, 100 ppm B and 80 ppm Mo.

The SAPS level is 0.6% according to the Mobil web page, so that low Ca (1007 ppm) makes sense. The web page also gives it a HTHS of 3.58 cP, and a KV100 of 12.1 cSt, so this is right up there at the thick end for a 30 grade.

I like it, a good API SN and ACEA C3 oil. I haven't paid it much attention before, thanks for the UOA and bringing it to my attention. Mobil does make some nice and well balanced products. I don't know why more people aren't running this oil at 6k mile OCI. The low SAPS & Ca level should reduce LSPI and the extra HTHS & KV100 should off-set fuel dilution.

From Mobil's web sits
Quote:
Volkswagen (Gasoline/Diesel) 504 00/507 00

According to ExxonMobil, Mobil 1 Formula ESP 5W-30 is of the following quality level:
Volkswagen (Gasoline) 502 00/503 00/503 01
Volkswagen (Diesel) 505 00/506 00

I assume this may have something to do with it.

Where's the detergent pack went? Only 1k of Ca and 12 ppm of Mg? Low (2.6) TBN after 4.8 k miles. A dino can do it even better.

Originally Posted By: SR5
From Mobil's web sits
Quote:
Volkswagen (Gasoline/Diesel) 504 00/507 00

According to ExxonMobil, Mobil 1 Formula ESP 5W-30 is of the following quality level:
Volkswagen (Gasoline) 502 00/503 00/503 01
Volkswagen (Diesel) 505 00/506 00

I assume this may have something to do with it.

Mobil says use it but it is not a 502.00 approved oil.

Originally Posted By: OPR4H
Where's the detergent pack went? Only 1k of Ca and 12 ppm of Mg? Low (2.6) TBN after 4.8 k miles. A dino can do it even better.

Very typical of a low SAPS oil, formulated to protect diesel particulate filters.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Is there a reason you're not using a 502 00 oil?

A Low SAPS oil helps fight the intake valve carbon buildup compared to a 502 oil.

Originally Posted By: Finklejag

A Low SAPS oil helps fight the intake valve carbon buildup compared to a 502 oil.

I hear some people mention it from time to time, but is there any actual proof of this?

I know Lubrizol mentioned this in one of their presentations, but it was very long ago, and I'm not seeing any other oil makers making the same claim.

Just curious.

With that said, at fairly low OCI, like you're doing, the low SAPS oil certainly does not appear to be hurting anything.

Is that 3rd gen. 2.0T in 2016 A3? If it is, I think 5K will be OK.
But, be aware, there is not a lot of margin when it comes to TBN. If you want to address CBU, I would go with Valvoline 5W40 MST that I use in BMW. It has SAPS level at 0.76 and TBN I think at 7+. It is also VW 502.00 approved.

Yes, this is a gen III 2.0T. I bought the ESP on sale and did the rebate thing. This OCI was the last liters left. I might go back to Castol 0W-40 like I was using in my MK6 GTI.

Yes, this is a gen III 2.0T. I bought the ESP on sale and did the rebate thing. This OCI was the last liters left. I might go back to Castol 0W-40 like I was using in my MK6 GTI.

Yeah, I am using that religiously in Tiguan.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

I hear some people mention it from time to time, but is there any actual proof of this?

I know Lubrizol mentioned this in one of their presentations, but it was very long ago, and I'm not seeing any other oil makers making the same claim.

Just curious.

Great question! I know that some Audi dealers have even moved to C3 oils where A3 is specced. Has yours switched?

How about yours Finklejag?

Many DIT WRX owner's are also running low SAPS oils in hopes of mitigating intake valve deposits as well, although Subaru Japan still allows high SAPS 0W-30 and 5W-40.
21.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back