Yokohama Geolander A/T G015 or snow tires?

Status
Not open for further replies.
One other thing -- which I've seen brought about before on this forum -- about Tire Rack.
I said earlier that the SilentArmor wasn't made in 275/65R18.

Yet Sears has it (granted, for $255 each and you have to probably let THEM install them -- yuck!):
"Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor - P275/65R18 114T OWL"

Why DOES TireRack seem to not have all the Goodyear offerings lately? TripleTred and various ComforTreds
also seem to be in short supply there. I still like TireRack but don't understand this "shortage".

I looked at some of Goodyear's listings. It appears that the SilentArmor is being slowly discontinued; there are only a few sizes listed. We used them on a fleet of Tahoes and F-150s for the past decade. I was always pleased with their performance. Maybe you could find your size on clearance somewhere. $255 is way too expensive; my local shop has the General Grabbers in that size for $175.

Goodyear sells three other similar tires, so I expect they're consolidating the lineup. The AT, ATS, and All-Terrain Adventure overlap a lot.

Originally Posted By: sgc2c
To answer a few questions, I'd be driving from Florida to Cape Cod on something other than a Winter tire (compound would wear right off on a snow-less 1700-mile drive).
Hence I wonder if an on/off-road AT tire like the G015 is suitable for everything since I'd use that as the go-to tire.
What I was really wondering was, would the G015 stand up to a Massachusetts Winter (I lived through 40+ of those) or would I be better off and closer to never-ever-slip on ice and snow with the Blizzaks (or other Winter tire)?
The truck would return to S. Florida in warmer-weather months the same way it got to Cape Cod.

For the tires some people mentioned, are you sure they are available in 275/65R18 ?
Especially the Nokians...?

Yes, that's why I suggested them.
https://www.nokiantires.com/all-weather-tires/nokian-rotiiva-at-plus/

https://smile.amazon.com/Nokian-Rotiiva-Plus-Radial-Tire/dp/B0100OTQC8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1490408226&sr=8-1&keywords=nokian+rotiiva+at+plus+275%2F65r18

Nokian seems like a great tire from what you've said and what I could read.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Why doesn't TireRack sell that brand? Actually they don't have a few respectable
brands. Wish I could get Kelly-Springfield as a selection there also. Oh well.

Originally Posted By: ChevyBadger
People drive 2wd vehicles all over Wisconsin throughout winter. I have to laugh at people over thinking tires. Get a good AT tire and keep on keepin on.

Not all snow is created equal. Some places like where I am in Western WA, the snow melts quickly and then freezes even quicker, within an hour of falling. And then it is gone the next morning.

So yes, I grew up in upstate NY and went everywhere in 2WD vehicles, but out here, there is a reason Subarus and SUV's are everywhere..

That being said, I have Goodyear Duratracs on my 4X 2006 Colorado Z71. Don't need 4X as much as I used to with my old Michelins, but you still need it on the commute sometimes as the tire tracks in the snow are iced over already, they are wonderful.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back