Oil for a 2012 vw jetty 2.5 gas motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

A1O

Hey all my daughter just bought a 2012 vw jetta with the 2.5 ltr gas motor in it. It has vw spec 504.00 either 5w30 or 5w40 in it. What is a good oil and filter for this car. I am new to German cars been working on domestics and Japanese cars for 25 years. German cars not so much let alone having someone in the family own one. Any help would be appreciated

+1 for castrol 0w40.

And stick to either oem or Mann/Mahle filters. You can find them on Amazon reasonably priced or even directly from a VW dealer.

Pep Boys has M1 ESP 5w30, the only place I can find it on US shelves. They include it in the oil change specials, but there is a slight extra charge of a few dollars.

AAP/CQ has Castrol Edge Gold 5w30 European Diesel . I think it's included in the gold bottle oil change specials.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Castrol Edge 0W-40 or Mobil 1 0W-40.

Those are 502/505. OP needs 504/507
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Pep Boys has M1 ESP 5w30, the only place I can find it on US shelves. They include it in the oil change specials, but there is a slight extra charge of a few dollars.

AAP/CQ has Castrol Edge Gold 5w30 European Diesel . I think it's included in the gold bottle oil change specials.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Castrol Edge 0W-40 or Mobil 1 0W-40.

Those are 502/505. OP needs 504/507
smile.gif

Wrong. rooflessVW is correct. OP needs 502.00

It's a 2.5L gas motor, not a common rail 2.0L TDI with DPF that is victim to Dieselgate

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat
Wrong. rooflessVW is correct. OP needs 502.00

It's a 2.5L gas motor, not a common rail 2.0L TDI with DPF that is victim to Dieselgate

cool
thumbsup2.gif

I was just going by the OP, sorry!

It specs VW 502.00. Castrol 0w40 is the best oil meeting this spec IMO. Its readily available at WM for a great price, and the main oil rival (Mobil 1 0w40) apparently change their formula and is not as good as it once was.

Thanks for the replies. That 504.00 is what it said in the owners manual then it listed 503.00and 502.00.That kinda confused me. So I can use an oil that meets 502.00. What about pennzoil or kendall euro 5w40

Originally Posted By: A1O
Thanks for the replies. That 504.00 is what it said in the owners manual then it listed 503.00and 502.00.That kinda confused me. So I can use an oil that meets 502.00. What about pennzoil or kendall euro 5w40

with 504.00 you won't be able to use the 10,000 mile OCI that is in the manual.

502.00 will have plenty of TBN for the long OCI.

Mobil 1 0w40 has a rebate going on right now.
https://mobiloil.com/en/promotion/mobil-promotions/up-to-15-dollars-off-with-mobil-1-and-mobil-super

Originally Posted By: A1O

Either of those will be fine
thumbsup2.gif

There's also Mag 1 Euro 5w40, and it comes in clear bottles
smile.gif

Ran Edge 0w40 in my old '08 Jetta with the 2.5. There was a few oddball times I used T6 5w40, but mostly the Edge. Changed it somewhere between 5K-7.5K, depending on how many miles it got for the year. Always bought filters and drain plugs from the dealer because oddly enough they were cheaper there. I used a Hazet 2169 socket for the filter, although it's collecting dust since the GTI takes a 32mm for the filter.

There's nothing really out of the norm working on the 2.5. Owned mine for 35K trouble free miles for the most part. Other than a leaky vacuum pump and the thermostat starting to go bad at 75K, nothing major. Make sure you check the air filter which is in the engine cover, most places don't check them because it's a PITA to get to.

Wal-Mart does indeed have five quart jugs of VW 502 0W40 oil for a good price. Not all locations will have Castrol and Pennzoil 0W40, but most will certainly have Mobil1 0W40 in stock which is fine.

We have 2 2.5 jettas in the family a 2008 with 108k and a 2012 with 52k. I use Mobil 1 0-w40 with 10k mile oil changes with no issues. We do mostly highway miles. Don't overthink this. Oil from Walmart, filter from Rockauto. One thing you should know the windshield wipers are a little difficult to find for the 2012. I use Anco C 19 N and C 24 N. I get these from Rockauto also The mounting points are VW/Porche specific.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. Went to Walmart got the castrol edge 0w40 European formula A3/B3 vw 502.00. Also was able to get a hengest cartridge oil filter through work for it.

Isn't the new Mobil 1 0w-40 called Mobil 1 FS 0w-40. It maybe a new formulation incorporating GTL that needs, like you say, recertifying.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: riggaz
Isn't the new Mobil 1 0w-40 called Mobil 1 FS 0w-40. It maybe a new formulation incorporating GTL that needs, like you say, recertifying.

Sure, but in that case, when asked, XOM could have said that they're working on getting it recertified. Yet, they said no such thing. And the FS has been out there for a year and a half now. So my guess is they're not even trying. Whether it's because they don't care about LL-01 or because they can't pass it, is anyone's guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back