Fram Ultra XG9641 Cartridge! 14K Miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
This filter is from my 2007 Mazda 3 with the 2.3l engine. The engine has 63K miles. Filter was run for two 7000 oil changes which took two years. Looks like a well made sturdy filter. I have another one and will continue with the 2 oci's per filter. (It's a pita to change the oil filter on this car.). My only criticism is that it looks to have a little rust on the crimp on the inside of the filter.

Should be able to handle 20k miles easily. In fact new packaging will soon state exactly that.

Originally Posted By: CharlieJ
My only criticism is that it looks to have a little rust on the crimp on the inside of the filter.

Does is wipe off ... could just be engine deposits from running it so long. Don't see how it could rust unless it was rusted when initially installed.

Looks good! If that is rust I bet it was on the crimp before being installed. Thanks for posting!

Originally Posted By: blupupher
So the only internal support is the wire mesh backing?
No, these kinds of cartridges fit over the permanent support cage that the engine already has.

Yeah, wondering if that is really rust. Maybe just deposits.

Looks good. I'm thinking about running the one in the Camry two OCI. Every regular filter has looked great at 9-10K.

The filter slides over a plastic cage built into the oil filter cap. But, this filter is extremely stiff by itself as the steel mesh is potted in the plastic resin.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Does is wipe off ... could just be engine deposits from running it so long. Don't see how it could rust unless it was rusted when initially installed.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Yeah, wondering if that is really rust. Maybe just deposits.

It is rust, it does not wipe off. I looked at the second one I have (new in box) and it has a single spot of rust. Untreated steel is just going to form some surface rust over time. It's not a big deal, I just did not notice it when I installed it.

Perhaps moisture in the oil accelerated more rust?

FYI, not all oil filter caps have that plastic support for the cartridge filter. My FU model has it built into the actual filter. (XG9018)

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
No, these kinds of cartridges fit over the permanent support cage that the engine already has. ...
Most lower-class cartridge filters (at least the ones for 1.8L Toyotas) don't have the wire mesh. The "permanent support cage" built into the cap is so much smaller than the inside of the media that I don't see how it can offer much support unless the media is badly collapsed inward.

Last April when I got the Slingshot with an Ecotec motor that uses cartridges I bought several FU filters and none of them had a wire cage. They were plastic and only half of the plastic cage had holes for oil to get through. The top half without holes had the filter material glued to the cage. I didn't like the way they were made and went with AC Delco instead. Maybe they have changed since then. I'm not sure what the XG number was.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back