General Altimax RT43 @ Walmart?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was walking down the isle that has the tires on display and saw General Altimax RT43 on a sign in front of a tire. I walked closer and looked at the tire and it had strange looking puffed out side walls so I drove to another Walmart and there is another Altimax RT43 with the same strange looking puffed out side walls.

These are strange with the center section of the sidewall being puffed out about one inch wider than the tread on both sides of the tire.

I was thinking about buying a set from Pep Boys until I saw the horrible looking sidewalls at Walmart. The strange thing is that no real tire store in town has a General Altimax RT43 in stock that I can look at.

Those Generals happen to come in a wide variety of speed ratings, load carrying capacity, PSI ratings and a few sizes even have rim protectors.
There are a few of the same exact size that are offered in two different speed ratings. It's also possible some sizes have a more square shoulder than other sizes. If the tire on display is something of a realic size like 215/70/15, it's going to have a horrible looking flexible flyer sidewall.

That's how tires look before being mounted on wheels with air in them.

I bought new ATV tires last year and they looked completely different once mounted. They were much taller and narrower

just got some myself in the 225/50-17 size, higher speed range. these have the rim protector, was surprised to see it but its a good thing!

The OP is describing rim protecting sidewalls. The perception-about Walmart is staggering, that they somehow carry off spec or inferior merchandise.

It lingers here on this board. I remember a post (on the general topics board here) about someone claiming they sold inferior medicine in their pharmacy because he had a side effect from what ever medication his doctor prescribed.

Strange indeed! And of course took the time to post "his observations".

Last edited:
Will the Altimax RT43 have lettering stating what they are the “Rim Protecting Sidewalls” version.

I'm looking at a brochure PDF for Genreal and none of the RT43s are marked to have rim protectors. Some G-MAX AS03s are marked to have them. The brochure is from 2014 however.

Edit - Sorry, it appears some 17"+ sizes now DO have rim protection according to the General website.

I'm more familiar with rim protectors looking like this. I feel like you are seeing non inflated T or H speed tires.

Last edited:
I've observed the same thing with many tires on display-- they just don't look right, with many, the sidewalls are "puffed" out, as if the tire got stretched somehow. Today, while at Sam's Club, I saw a GY Wrangler Authority labeled with the wrong size. It had a 215/75/xx (forgot rim size) sticker and was branded on the sidewall in that size, when it was clearly larger than 215mm width. It was wider than a 265 tire sitting beside it. I saw the discrepancy just walking by, it was that obvious.

I wonder if they use defect tires from the factory for their display tires..?

Just a review for thr RT43 on 17" toyota sienna wheels. Quiet, no spin when accelerating or stopping on wet roads, a bit kore mushy in steering response. That is a common trade off for soft ride. Tire pressure in in the low 30s. If i went to 40 the ride would get more harsh but more sporty.

Orignal tires were the mIchelin mxv4 and these are a slight upgrade besides being substantially cheaper.

I had a set of the RT43's installed on my 2010 Impala 2 years ago and I'm really happy with them. They ride a bunch smoother and are quieter than the Goodyear Integrity's that were on the car from the factory.

Have the rt43 on my crown Vic for 20,000 miles no problems to report. Handle great in the wet and light snow great in the dry and a good ride to boot

We have a set on the girlfriend's Matrix. They are very good for the price. Very smooth ride, wear evenly, and are excellent (better than most other all seasons) in the snow.

I tried to find a set of 245/50r20s for my wife's Venza but no luck without a long wait. Ended up with Yokohama Geolander G055.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back