What oil for 2009 Kymco 500?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello guys,here is my current choice on hand. Amsoil 10w40 scooter oil,or Mobil 1 5w50.
The machine it will go in is a 2009 Kymco 500. Bike is liquid cooled,fuel injected,holds 3 quarts and has a spin on oil filter like a car. Oh and 500cc! Just wanted to ask what you all think is the best choice. I have a nice stock of both type oils. Thank you very much! Bike also has,6,800 miles on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
What does your manual say? Suzuki scooters of 400 and 650 generally call for 10-40. So does Yamaha Majesty 400.

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
Now that the weather is getting warmer, I'd go with the 5/50 wt.,,,

?

Now that the weather is getting warmer, I'd go with the 10/40 wt.

But I doubt it matters much, unless its got flat tappets, in which case it might matter a bit.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Motor and any gears share the sump? JASO MA or MB depending on if the centrifugal clutch is wet or dry?

Explanation here: http://www.oilspecifications.org/articles/JASO_MA_JASO_MB.php So it really does matter what your manual says...

Not usually a factor with scooters. They usually have "dry" belt-and-cone CVT automatics, with a separate final drive running "gear oil", so car oil would be ok apart from the flat tappet aspect.

Understood. But some of the big scooters seem to have enclosed CVT trannies that run oil baths ... I've seen a lot of Kymco scooters in Holland, just never looked at their powertrain layout very closely. That's why I posted the question ...

Last edited:
I have a kymco downtown 300 and it calls for a 5w50, I went with castrol edge 5w50. So I'd say go with the mobil 1.

Thanks for the responses everyone. Ya....no shared sump on this machine. Seperate gear oil. The manual says 5w50 but 10w40 can also be used. Since i have a nice stash of both,i was just curious what you all think the better oil is. I also have a Yamaha Majesty 400 that i use the 10w40 in. Thanks again everyone. Hope you all have a great day!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back