M1 Annual Protection?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The penultimate tribological marketing hyperbole?

How can they supersede miles driven in a calendar year with a solely calendar based OCI?

What in the eff. Also, it's $12/qt. So it must be gold.

I drive 1k miles a week and change my oil every 6 weeks with Castrol Edge 0w20. According to this marketing I could safely perform 52k mile OCIs?

Last edited by a moderator:
Mobil 1 says. "Mobil 1™ Annual Protection 0W-20, 5W-20 and 5W-30 are ultimate full synthetic engine oils, providing proven protection for one full year or 20,000 miles between oil changes, whichever comes first, while keeping your engine running like new.

One year Or 20,000 Miles

I don't understand why this is bizarre. VW has a 10k OCI and those cars definitely push the oil to the limit (Castrol). I'm not a mechanic or engineer, but I'd imagine you'd have an oil consumption issue before the oil would falter (probably around 15k lol).

I think BMW even used to recommend a 20k/yearly OCI before they revised

Granted owning a Japanese car is much cheaper than owning a German car (as in saving thousands of $$$ cheaper, not hundreds), but [censored] these fragile OCI are insane!

6k or 6 months on a Crosstrek just seems like I'm throwing oil away 2k before it spoils.

Last edited:
Their 15k/1-year oil is $28/5quartJug, and this new stuff is 20k/1-year oil at $50/5quartJug. Whaaaaa---aaaa---aaat?
Only thing I can tell is that people who own really expensive, newer SN-GF5 and/or dexos1 engines (i.e., a new $50k Infiniti or Lexus owner) will see it on the shelf and still demand the BEST oil they see regardless of value proposition.

I don't think the price is a big jump. Ypu need to compare apples to apples, or MSRP to MSRP.

Walk into Autozone or Advanced Auto or whatever is your parts store. Regular M1 on the shelf is $10 a quart MSRP. So the $12/quart is only a 20% upcharge.

It is not fair to compare MSRP to lowest discount or walmart loss-leader prices.

Last edited:
Apologies blokes. I obviously didn't read the fine print.

Though, for the sake of truth in marketing, the bottle should read 20k protection, not annual protection. Pipe dreams I know, truth in marketing will never happen.

Originally Posted By: gr8gatzby
Though, for the sake of truth in marketing, the bottle should read 20k protection, not annual protection.

The vast majority of American drivers won't even come close to hitting 20,000 in a single year on one vehicle.

You do, sure.. and so do I (~30,000 / yr), but most don't.

How can they supersede miles driven in a calendar year with a solely calendar based OCI?

I drive 1k miles a week and change my oil every 6 weeks with Castrol Edge 0w20. According to this marketing I could safely perform 52k mile OCIs?

When you drive high millage like that and know in advance you will be putting that kind of miles on a vehicel, it is a major case for getting a hybrid vehicle. You could save a major amount of dollars compared to using a similar size conventional vehicle.

The rebate brings it down to $38 a jug, but still not worth it for me...

My friend is/was a territory manager for a bank who put 38K miles on his Infiniti this year, in his case maybe worth it...

Silver lining?

My local WM has EP now priced in line with standard M1, so it's $25.97. The price of quarts of M1 and EP have both been lowered. If I remember, EP was only 8 and change, and the M1 down in the $6 range.

So at least AP means EP and M1 are now lower in price on the everyday.

Not to ruin your opening sentence of 10 cent words but "penultimate" doesn't mean what you think it means.

I drive about 20k miles a year. I'm going to use it in my Camry.

Originally Posted By: raytseng
I don't think the price is a big jump. Ypu need to compare apples to apples, or MSRP to MSRP.

Walk into Autozone or Advanced Auto or whatever is your parts store. Regular M1 on the shelf is $10 a quart MSRP. So the $12/quart is only a 20% upcharge.

It is not fair to compare MSRP to lowest discount or walmart loss-leader prices.
It's "not fair"......and why not?

Its true these high-miles 1-year oils like this and Amsoil are useful for people who rack up a ton of miles.
Without them, they are spending valuable time changing the oil once a friggin' month.

No it doesn't. Read the label.

Originally Posted By: CT8

No it doesn't. Read the label.

Or he could have read the very first reply to this thread....did you?

Wuth your regime, probably doable 25 to 30k mikes with a UOA, after 20K. But 52K will be hard to get from it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back