What's the best VP Race Fuel or Mixture for a

Status
Not open for further replies.
Raptor 700 with 11.1 compression piston, Hotcam 3, valve job/full race port,etc? I live in California and I believe our gas is poor.

It's best to give VP a call with specific needs as they have so many fuels available they would advise with best answer. My. Local dealer has rows upon rows of drum and pails of fuels for specific needs.

I've used both VP T4 and C12 in my dirt bikes. T4 is an unleaded, non ethanol, oxygenated fuel specifically for dirt bikes. C12 is a conventional leaded race fuel.

In the end, good old C12 is about impossible to beat when it comes to HP output and throttle response. Because it's a leaded fuel, it is a very, very well developed product that does not contain the compounds that reduce output and response. In other words, the lead boosts octane instead of high octane unleaded additives, like toluene, which tend to dull response and output.

T4 is one of the new class of unleaded, high octane, oxygenated, race fuels. works very well, but may require a slightly richer mixture. I don't like it quite as much as C12, but I do like it very much. Probably the best unleaded fuel I've ever used.

Not sure what year your Raptor 700 is, but I think the later ones use a cylinder head mounted O2 sensor. So, an unleaded fuel is necessary if you have an O2 sensor. Then, T4 would be a very good choice.

Last edited:
C12 is the go to fuel for 2 strokes, and very good. Not my first choice for your high compression 4 stroke though.
Are you pleasure riding or sanctioned racing? That will help determine if approved fuels must be used or not.
Weekend riding, pleasure? I'd try U4.4 . You'll have to tune for it.
Sanctioned racing with inspections gets a bit harder, but MR-PRO6 is where I would start.
It was a lot easier in the 2 stroke days.

He may not be able to use C12 anyway, depending on year. But C12 will work perfectly in a big bore 4 stroke without an oxygen sensor.

U4.4 is great stuff. Generally requires a richer mixture. Around here, U4.4 is $100 for a 5 gal pail. Where as the T4 is about $70 for a 5 gal pail. I can't really tell the difference between the two.

Another thought, Swift Fuels has an unleaded avgas available at some airports. It's 94 octane, non oxygenated and about $4/gallon. Many racers love it. I've not tried it. If you are simply looking for a higher octane, quality unleaded fuel, that might work.

I like the suggestion of looking into the Swift Fuels avgas. Good idea. Has anyone ran the Sonoco Apex race gas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back