13 dart 1.4t smoking and spark knocking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ram_man
Well I stand corrected so the car started smoking so I took the hoses off the separator running to the intake ect and capped them with hose pliers and it didn't quit smoking. Sooooo I'm lost .... possibly a turbo issue I assume?

Is the smoke dark grey, black or blue? If its anything other than blue I would suspect some sort of air/fuel issue but I wont even venture a guess with this one.
From what I read there are 5 modes that the ecm uses for different engine speeds and loads each mode and cylinder being adjustable by the ecm. You are not dealing with a conventional throttle body and induction system on this engine, it appears anything from a sticking/defective solenoid or hydraulic control can throw a monkey wrench into the works.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Wouldn't it smoke all the time then? It doesn't do it all the time.

It smokes during pre-detonation because that's when the cylinder pressure is the highest. You have two flame fronts colliding with each other. You have the normal ignition event, and then you have the pre-donation event where the fuel is igniting from temperature alone. The high cylinder pressure forces the oil past the compromised piston rings.

If that were the case I'd suspect the compression to be low but it wasn't it was dead nuts perfect .

Originally Posted By: Trav
Well I stand corrected so the car started smoking so I took the hoses off the separator running to the intake ect and capped them with hose pliers and it didn't quit smoking. Sooooo I'm lost .... possibly a turbo issue I assume?

Is the smoke dark grey, black or blue? If its anything other than blue I would suspect some sort of air/fuel issue but I wont even venture a guess with this one.
From what I read there are 5 modes that the ecm uses for different engine speeds and loads each mode and cylinder being adjustable by the ecm. You are not dealing with a conventional throttle body and induction system on this engine, it appears anything from a sticking/defective solenoid or hydraulic control can throw a monkey wrench into the works.

Smoke was grey and a little blue tint at times. It smelled like oil. The fuel trims look decent long term was +5 short term was +2 and fluctuated around that.
The multi air definitely changes the game a little bit, such an odd system

Originally Posted By: bvance554
Oh now that it is smoking you call it her car. I remember when you bought this beast. They rank at the bottom of consumer satisfaction surveys for a reason.

Uhmmm I never owned a 13 dart limited I owned a 15 dart se with the 2.0 Chrysler engine and now a. 14 gr with the 2.4 id never ever own a 1.4 fiat engine! It just so happened we met in a dart group and she owns a dart as well. My car runs. Great as usual.

Sorry guess I was confusing you with the other ram man who used to post here asking for advice on family friendly New Years Eve getaways with his wife and kids. New wife and family?

Oh now that it is smoking you call it her car. I remember when you bought this beast. They rank at the bottom of consumer satisfaction surveys for a reason.

Uhmmm I never owned a 13 dart limited I owned a 15 dart se with the 2.0 Chrysler engine and now a. 14 gr with the 2.4 id never ever own a 1.4 fiat engine! It just so happened we met in a dart group and she owns a dart as well. My car runs. Great as usual.

Sorry guess I was confusing you with the other ram man who used to post here asking for advice on family friendly New Years Eve getaways with his wife and kids. New wife and family?

IIRC the original dart got crashed, and so OP must have bought another. How difficult is that to understand. IIRC he also had some issues with the missus, and must have a new SO.

Time to get on topic. This isnt about his personal life. Focus on the car please.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

IIRC the original dart got crashed, and so OP must have bought another. How difficult is that to understand. IIRC he also had some issues with the missus, and must have a new SO.

Time to get on topic. This isnt about his personal life. Focus on the car please.

You're right. My apologies ram man. I was just busting you're brat's here as I am prone to do after a bourbon or two.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Yes the old dart was 15 se with the 2.0 I miss that car such a great engine a little slower but so much simpler. Something to be said about that. And yes I am happily divorced and found a great girl who is very influential in my life. Having epilepsy and my own share of health issues ect she 100% stands by me and supports me and she has been great to me when I've hit my lowest of lows and never faltered. I owe her more than I could ever repay honestly. Not many girls my age want to date a guy with my baggage , kids ex wife drama major health concerns. I've been very blessed! That being said the car is well the down fall. Wish I could keep her and rid her of the car . But for now they're a package deal
smile.gif

This engines are very sensible to oil quality and and level. My bet is on Multiair playing up. It's probably nothing "mechanical" in traditional way. Go to a different dealer.

Originally Posted By: Michael_P
Quote:
I thought you were a car mechanic, if so you should find the problem.

I was a mechanic for years and would use other mechanics and/or the internet as a sounding board. I know many top shops that use the internet for problem solving. One could be a very experienced and proficient mechanic or tech and hit a stumbling block. Somewhere out there is someone who had the same problem and mastered it. I see no harm in a mechanic asking for advise. If anything, I have more respect for him.

Exactly! While my job is a bit more specialized as I fix Submarines and I am the technical support provider for a few different systems it is always nice to have someone to bounce your ideas off. A second set of eyes so to speak so you don't get wrapped around the axle. No harm in asking for help. The harm is not asking and taking forever to fix something or going down the wrong path.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Well, it would be pretty easy to put in an in-line separator and see if it changes the behaviour.

That's probably true. I'm learning about this engine . It's definetly a little different than what I am used to. If I took the separator off and saw a bunch of oil do you think that would be an indication?

I would imagine it does not take a lot. I run a catch can on the Trans Am for that reason.

After you tried that stuff did you run some Seafoam or top end engine cleaner through it get the rest of the oil out?

When I suggest modifications to the PCV and/or EGR you tell me it's illegal and smog checks and EPA nazis and other horror stories, but it might be all that's needed if the premium gas and techron didn't work. Did you get compression values?

It won't stop instantly, as there will be accumulated oil in the intake manifold that will take a while to burn off. You'd have to take some time to see if the burning peters off and stops after that sort of test.

Probably an ancestor of the pos 66 Dodge Dart I special ordered with the power pack package. Looked like it had been assembled by UAW Hamtramck monkeys.*@&#^$%&@$^*(
frown.gif

The other day I was behind what looked like a new Dart and couldn't believe all the smoke coming from it when the driver hit the gas.
57.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back