Forgot Oil cap - Should I sample?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got the results back yesterday afternoon. Looks like it is still good to go. The silicon is Higher than I think it should be, showing that some did get in the oil, but not enough to worry about.

the 21 PPM of Iron and 7 PPM of Aluminum is likely wash-out from the last fill which was 110 and 27 respectively.

I'm going to run it 7500.

this is the Amsoil XL we discussed earlier, the lab coded the sheet wrong.

Last edited:
How do you know that the Si that shows up on the ICP analysis is representative of a particle size that is potentially damaging to your engine? Also, how do you know that the only potentially damaging particles all contain silicon?

How did you get the Napa oil kit for only $7? That's a great deal. Here they are $15 which is still about half what some labs charge.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
How do you know that the Si that shows up on the ICP analysis is representative of a particle size that is potentially damaging to your engine? Also, how do you know that the only potentially damaging particles all contain silicon?

I don't, and I don't.

but do you have a better idea on how to analyze it? I'm not trying to be a snot, but in the absence of anything better, that's the best I have.

having talked to the lab technician I can run silicon up to 30ppm before it becomes "cautionary". meaning if I started with 11 and add another 11 or 15 to it through use, I'm still in the green.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
How did you get the Napa oil kit for only $7? That's a great deal. Here they are $15 which is still about half what some labs charge.

I work for the state and the store owner hooks me with the County discount which gets them to me for almost half price
smile.gif
good guy deal
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Lubener
The presense of potasium might mean a small amount of coolant is present.

it is possible. the level has never moved, but I can keep an eye on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back