30w in a 20w engine (2GR-FKS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does Toyota spec a 30w for the 2GR-FKE engine outside of the US? I'm not totally sold on the 20w craze that has been going on every time CAFE regulations get stricter. My Toyota only offers 0w-20 as an accepted oil but perhaps something on the "thin" side of a 30w (Think like the opposite of a GC "thick 30") would provide better protection.
This is my first vehicle that has called for a 20w so getting oil that flows like water doesn't quite reassure me of its protection abilities as much as when I picked up a jug of 0w40

0W-20 works fine in engines designed to use it.
That being said A 0W-30 or 5W-30 will work absolutely fine in your Toyota.
Just browsing on the internet i found that in Australia Toyota allows anything from 5W-30 to 20W-50 in the 2GR-FKS V6.

My thoughts exactly! Toyota says that you can use a 30W, but tat you MUST return to a 20W at your next Oil Change.
I've just bought a new Lexus RX350 and I must say that I'd feel a lot better with a 30W than a 20W especially in summer and when in traffic.
When I checked with the service manager he suggested to use 20W and only go to 30W if nothing else was available, I asked why and he said that the clearances are such that the 20W does a better job when hot. What do you guys think?

Originally Posted By: Pelican
My thoughts exactly! Toyota says that you can use a 30W, but tat you MUST return to a 20W at your next Oil Change.
I've just bought a new Lexus RX350 and I must say that I'd feel a lot better with a 30W than a 20W especially in summer and when in traffic.
When I checked with the service manager he suggested to use 20W and only go to 30W if nothing else was available, I asked why and he said that the clearances are such that the 20W does a better job when hot. What do you guys think?

Where do you see it state a 30w can be used? my owners manual states "A 5w20 may be used if 0w20 is not available, however it must be changed at 5000 miles or 6 months with 0w20 fully synthetic motor oil"

If this

Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver

Just browsing on the internet i found that in Australia Toyota allows anything from 5W-30 to 20W-50 in the 2GR-FKS V6.

is true, then this

only go to 30W if nothing else was available

isn't

What do you guys think?

I think this

the clearances are such that the 20W does a better job when hot.

is bollocks.

Last edited:
In the owner's manual Now this is for the Lexus, but can't think why it would be different for a Toyata

Last edited:
Toyota owner's manuals (some of which have been posted here on BITOG) say that for sustained high speed, towing, or mountainous terrain, a higher viscosity oil is required for sufficient protection. That, plus the same engine in other parts of the world not recommending a 20 weight at all says it's the hand of CAFE that will keep me with a 30 weight or higher.

I guess it is about time for another one of these threads. They do seem to come along at about the same frequency.

A little atypical but with mention of CAFE, oil grades used outside the US, "better protection" and "flows like water" we've hit a few hot buttons.

How the jug feels at room temperature is kind of a new one though.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
I guess it is about time for another one of these threads. They do seem to come along at about the same frequency.

A little atypical but with mention of CAFE, oil grades used outside the US and "flows like water" we've hit a few hot buttons.

Well im coming from the world of 17mpg and 0w40 to the world of 22mpg and 0w20 so its a bit of a change for me

A little atypical but with mention of CAFE and "flows like water" we've hit a couple hot button words.

Yes, I think it was a week since the last thread like it.

OP your Toyota will run fine on either oil. If you're concerned with your warranty follow the OM. IIRC Mobil 1 AFE 0W20 is on the "thicker side" of the 20 grade oils. It will serve you quite well if you decide to use it.

Very True ! ... SOPUS 30 weights are good in 20 weight applications if you have any concerns .
Originally Posted By: GravelRoad
PU and PUP 5w30 are "light 30".

10.3 @ 212F

What's wrong with 0-20 if your engine calls for it? I've used 0-20 for years with great success. One member here used it in his engine for 300K and it called for 5-30. There is no indication that 0-20 causes more engine wear according to the many UOAs we see here.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NissanHauler
Does Toyota spec a 30w for the 2GR-FKE engine outside of the US?

how 2GR-FKE is different from 2GR-FE? Regarding 2GR-FE, the thinnest oil recommended overseas for summer temps is 10W30. Anything lower is only good for winter temps. sadly dealership used 5W20 in mine and the engine developed new noise (knock-like when cold) and that didn't go away when i went to 10W30. I plan to do 5W40 next.

While I don't about the 2GR-FKS, I know for the 1GR-FE in Australia, Toyota recommends up to 20w-50 oil. Compare that to the USA where the same engine would probably carrying a flat 5w-30 recommendation.

Originally Posted By: tig1
What's wrong with 0-20 if your engine calls for it? I've used 0-20 for years with great success. One member here used it in his engine for 300K and it called for 5-30. There is no indication that 0-20 causes more engine wear according to the many UOAs we see here.

From what I gather from many posters is something like 0w20 affects their comfort level. I can see that. Unless I lived in the Arctic, I would just use 5w20 if I was going to stick with 20w. While 0w20 may be just fine, 5w20 would fit my comfort level better if I used a 20w oil. But I don't and have nothing that requires it. But in one of my engines that calls for 5w30, I run a 10w30 in it and it runs great. A 2006 Cadillac CTS 3.6L that called for a M1 5w30 by GM, but all it gets is a Pennz 10w30 conventional. That oil meets the 6094M standard that GM requires for the engine, and it does a stellar job. And that 11 year old car is not showing any sign of a problem. Tons of threads on other forums of that 3.6 LY7 engine experiencing timing chain issues and such, but not a hint of that in mine.

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
Originally Posted By: tig1

From what I gather from many posters is something like 0w20 affects their comfort level. I can see that. Unless I lived in the Arctic, I would just use 5w20 if I was going to stick with 20w. While 0w20 may be just fine, 5w20 would fit my comfort level better if I used a 20w oil. But I don't and have nothing that requires it. But in one of my engines that calls for 5w30, I run a 10w30 in it and it runs great. A 2006 Cadillac CTS 3.6L that called for a M1 5w30 by GM, but all it gets is a Pennz 10w30 conventional. That oil meets the 6094M standard that GM requires for the engine, and it does a stellar job. And that 11 year old car is not showing any sign of a problem. Tons of threads on other forums of that 3.6 LY7 engine experiencing timing chain issues and such, but not a hint of that in mine.

M1 0-20 AFE carries the GM 6094M rating.

I guess it is about time for another one of these threads. They do seem to come along at about the same frequency. ...
Yep, with all the usual illogical arguments.

Think "water-like" xW-20 is a recent plague forced by CAFE requirements? Consider GM's oil recommendations for 1962 full-size Chevrolets, in all production engines from the Stove Bolt I6 to the legendary high-compression 409, as follows:

For anticipated temperatures
< 0°F : 5W or 5W-20
> 0°F : 10W or 10W-30
>32°F: 20W or 10W-30
"For high speed driving when the temperature is above 90°F, SAE 30 or 10W-30 MAY be used."

That effectively said that at 85°F in 1962, single-weight SAE 20 was fine, and SAE 30 was too thick. Yet, some folks feel xW-20 is too thin at the same temperature in 2017, in engines designed for it. Very confusing!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back