Diagnose this wifi issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Windows 10. Internet randomly stops working. If I disconnect and then reconnect wifi, it is fine again for another 10-20 minutes.

Already updated the wireless driver, and also disabled the "turn off this device to save power" under device manager.

Any ideas?

Try googling windows 10 disconnects from wifi

They issued a patch that disconnected wifi, then a few weeks later issued another
patch to un-do the damage.

i had the same problem with my win 10 laptop until recently... really frustrating. switched to 5 ghz band in the wireless adapter properties on my pc and the same in the properties of the router a couple of months ago.Not much improvement until lately. MS keeps patching win 10, so i am guessing that one of the last patches released in the last month or so have helped as previously mentioned here.

Originally Posted By: oilpsi2high
Windows 10. Internet randomly stops working. If I disconnect and then reconnect wifi, it is fine again for another 10-20 minutes.

Already updated the wireless driver, and also disabled the "turn off this device to save power" under device manager.

Any ideas?

Go to Power options > edit plan settings > change advanced power settings > Wireless adapter settings > Power savings mode and select maximum performance in all categories.

Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad
Probably not the issue, but in case ...

Any microwave ovens being used regularly near or at your home?
You mean the ones that turn into cameras?

crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: oilpsi2high

Any ideas?

I see you did the above and assuming you checked that your new driver version is showing up in the device settings.
I also assume your router is properly placed and not laying on its side and on the floor in a tangle of wires. :eek:)
Im running a TP Link Cable Modem with a TP Link AC 1700 router. I love them, been rock solid and any previous issues I had on one computer (out of many) were cleared up with the new Windows 10 drivers etc.

I would try one more thing, may sound nuts but I do take things to an extreme at times, yet very low cost to try out.
I put Ferrite Filters on EVERYTHING related to my WiFi network, power lines, data lines, you name it, in fact I have them doubled up.
This all started with my state of the art security system. (security systems is my business). I have a number of touch screen keypads that wirelessly communicate with the main panel. Randomly when entering our codes the keypads would not disable the alarm system unless you input it a 2nd time and some cases a 3rd time. Also the signal to the main panel would be weak at times and other times just fine.
Once I put ferrite filters on all the power lines in the security system, signal went up to full power and NEVER had another issue again.

Once looking around my house, I started noticing these filters on everything, UBS cords for my camera, on my Plasma TV, HDMI cables and thought to myself, if corporations are putting these things on all these devices there must be something to it.
So I now have them on everything, security system, everything connected to my internet system, my Ooma home phone system and whatever else. I never has an issue with anything again.

I still think you may have a windows issue with your wifi card, but it can not hurt to try what I posted. Im not sure if this is related but I actually get speeds about 20% faster up/down then what I pay for, that maybe more common now but a while back you never would get up to the advertised speed you were paying for.

This is what I am talking about ...
Click here, google search, for Ferrite Filters
I used the round clip on filters.

(Also note what Zorobabel posted above)

Last edited:
BTW, in past years, I too, like everyone used to have to reset the router once in a while, its not a bad practice by any means. I do not know if it is the TPLINK equipment I use now (bought in NOV 2015) or the Ferrite Filters but it is a very rare occasion that we ever need to anymore, in fact, I think if I ever do it, its only because its something a feel I should do maybe 2, 3 times a year, if that. So much time goes by that I honestly can not say when I ever do.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back