Do you trust a private seller who is a realtor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SKVenture
And as to the Realtor bit. I'd say it's irrelevant. People are going to manipulate and lie if it results in positive gain for them. How much they manipulate and lie is the variable. I always assume that and proceed accordingly in any business transactions

It's relevant. He's around major purchases/ sales all the time and knows how to spot a rube and how to cover his own hide. He's very very defensive about the condition of this car. Run!

Originally Posted By: sifan

The seller said he put about $4000 worth of mods on that car. I guess he tried to get some return on his investment. I don't know if 1998 model year comes with AHC (Automatic Height Control), which is very expensive to repair if broken. A lifting kit is a permanent solution to AHC.

For the Land Cruiser owners is the asking price too high in this case? Is this car going to be a money pit in the future when it comes to maintenance even assuming it is well maintained by the owner?

If you don't already know the answers to these questions, a 20 yr old truck with 235k miles might not be for you.

These are rare cars and the seller knows it, he's not going to spend money or waste time getting it inspected for some dude from Craigslist. His request for a deposit is his way of telling you to buzz off if you're not serious, at work he calls it "earnest money".

Originally Posted By: AntsinmyEyes
230k miles? magical toyota or not that things about done. no way id pay 7 grand for it

That's what I was thinking too. 200,000+ miles automatically makes a common mass produced car a $500 car.

230k miles? magical toyota or not that things about done. no way id pay 7 grand for it

Those Land Cruisers or LX470 sold by the private sellers on Craigslist in my area all have similar high mileages and asking prices.

far far FAR from being done.

Even a neglected land cruiser would be far from being "done" at that mileage.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm

That's what I was thinking too. 200,000+ miles automatically makes a common mass produced car a $500 car.

Land Crusiers are not common cars though.

They hold their value very well because they are built extremely well and have legendary reliability.

200,000 on a 1999 Ford Taurus and 200,000 miles on a Land Cruiser are two totally different animals.

There are two types of vehicle inspections in Maryland. The emissions inspection is done about every 2 years and costs $14, or $10 if you use the new self-service kiosk. Its only a OBD-II check, but they are savvy enough to rule out recent resets. The Maryland SAFETY inspection only is required when the vehicle is sold, and it is very strict. 98% of the used cars fail inspection, if only for the shop to sell you wiper blades and headlight adjustment. For Maryland, I think the seller is being fair on the demands: it would be a pain to go have it inspected, and he seems to feel that the tint would need to be removed. Window tint is legal if it conforms to certain rules of which I have no idea on the details. If you are really serious, I would suggest only a deposit that will cover the inspection cost. Regarding the "realtor" that only signals to me that he might have you sign more comprehensive bill of sale or other sales contract, and he might be a better than average negotiator. I live in the more expensive part of MD, so inspections are right around $100-125: they are usually about 75% of the hourly labor rate. Make sure you do all of the paperwork required for a legit sale, or you could get raped at the DMV on taxes. Make sure you calculate the taxes and fees upfront- they have gone up a lot around 2014.

As for KBB vs NADA vs Edmunds: my take is Kbb is biased towards auto dealers (high retail, low trade in) , Edmunds is neutral but slightly biased towards the consumer, and NADA is about even and unbiased. There is a reason most lending institutions and the MD DMV use NADA.

Last edited:
Those are getting popular again....so clean and in good shape-the price is not too crazy, but around 7 is all he will get fpr it unless it finds an owner who has major plans for it....

Judging based on what he says, he does not seem in a hurry to sell it either...

So, unless you really want it, I'd pass....

Does not matter what the guy does for a living, never buy a used car especially one with high miles without a complete objective inspection. Negotiate the final price, and then tell the seller you will meet him at inspection shop to complete the deal at agreed to price if the car passes inspection (which you pay for). If car passes, you hand him the certified bank check and he signs the title. If the car does not pass inspection then you can renegotiate price based on what is found or you can walk away but still pay for inspection.

If any seller refuses to agree to an objective inspection before money changes hands or wants cash up front before inspection you absolutely should walk away from the deal.

This is actually something to discuss over the phone when you first call on a car. Let the seller know how you want to do business including the inspection requirement and if they balk on the inspection requirement pass on the car and don't waste your time or theirs. I have bought many used cars and do a lot of my own maintenance but spending big $ on a car with no inspection is a serious risk -something I found out the hard way the one time I did not insist on an inspection.

Last edited:
I would just pass.

A motivated seller would have a car already passed inspection. A motivated seller would be negotiable. A motivated seller isn't putting stipulations on how you buy the car.

He's not a motivated seller.

As for being a realtor, I think that's not good. Realtors are hard on their cars. They do lots of stop and go driving and tremendous amounts of idling.

I contacted a private seller, who is selling a car on Craigslist. Before arranging a test drive I asked the seller, who is a realtor, to have the car inspected first because I do not want to waste my time on a car that might not pass the state inspection. His response was that the car would only be inspected with $500 upfront if I decided to buy it after test drive. He would let me sign a contract such that once the car passed the state inspection and I would pay the rest of his asking price to pick up the car. He assured me that the car will pass the inspection.

Wouldn't a motivated car seller be more willing to have his car inspected to lure potential buyers? He is also firm on his asking price. If the car were not sold with his asking price, he would just keep it as a beater car.

Is it too much to demand a state inspection from a private seller? With $500 out of my pocket in exchange with a piece of paper if the car did not pass the state inspection, then what? I have heard so many car scams on Craigslist. Should I take the chance? A realtor is like a car salesman, right?

I'd pass. But if you really want the car, tell him you'll meet him at an inspection shop and pay the $100 for the inspection. If the car passes, to your satisfaction you'll take it, if it doesn't you'll eat the $100. Then the seller is out nothing but his time. If he doesn't like that that's your signal to run from the deal! If he still insists on the $500 deposit, forget it.

Simple in my world. We would allow any inspections at your expense if we were selling. Be very suspicious.

Plus you are disobeying the one cardinal rule I have when buying. NEVER get too hung up on a particular car. There are many more you haven't seen yet!

Nice truck. A bit on the pricey side, but those are exactly the mods I would've made on the suspension.

This seller is treating the whole thing like a high six figure real estate deal...

Please, it's a use car deal.

Lighten up, Francis...

I would not buy any non inspected vehicle, nor would I pay the seller's inspection fee. But that's just me.

Ridiculous demand on the seller's part, and likely something about the car is being hidden. Both are deal breakers to me. And the fact that he is a realtor is relevant, because he knows how to set up deals that are completely one-sided for the benefit of the seller. Gave over. It's not a magical unicorn he's selling anyway.

Do you trust a private seller who is a realtor?

NO

Do you trust a private seller?

NO

Do you trust?

NO

Or at least I TRY not to

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back