short trips in cold

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking at purchasing a Tundra truck from North Dakota, I live in the south and don't have much experience with the cold. Truck is an 08 w/ 40k miles due to a very short commute (one owner), service records from Toyota show synthetic 0-20w used since new, oil was changed 1x per yr at 4k miles. Was informed by dealer that owner parked in heated garage, warmed up truck for 15 min before driving on cold mornings. If I purchase, I plan on keeping truck for a LONG time. Should I be concerned with longevity due to the short trips in cold. Attached is a picture of exhaust if this helps (condensation?) Thanks.

Last edited:
Looks great under there to me. I have seen rot under vehicles in my part of the world enough to curl your hair. As for the short tripping, just give it a long hot drive. If you're driving it back south, that'll be a good start.

If you are really worried about the frame, have it undercoated. We have good firms here for that that use a responsible product that works (not sure about the States and undercoating). Toyota had frame rot issues with the Tacoma trucks but that was years ago. Looks good in my view.

Originally Posted By: Fattylocks
If the truck was parked in a heated garage why warm it up for 15 minutes? I would be more worried about salt exposure and the truck rusting out down the line.

I agree, the indoor idling did nothing but waste fuel. How silly.

The indoor idling did nothing to help that truck...if what the dealer says is true (and it often isn't true)...and there is plenty to suggest that idling when cold (and the fuel is enriched above normal operation) contributes to excessive wear in the engine.

But honestly? That frame looks like my 4 Runner did when it was about 20 years old. And it had serious rust a few years later.

I would skip this truck. I think it will cause problems long before you plan.

I love the Tundra, great truck (see signature), but I think the salt exposure on this example would make me look for a different truck...one from Georgia...with no rust underneath...

If all that is the gospel, I'd say good deal. Exhaust systems are one of those maintenance things that you're going to have to replace periodically unless you got a stainless steel exhaust like on Honda's.

There should be a 100K warranty on the converter but the muffler looks like it doesn't have a lot of life left which is what I would expect. Yes it's just spots of surface rust but owning 4 Toyotas as I do you begin to recognize the signs.

If you live in the south why are you looking north for a vehicle? That's the exact opposite of what most of us rust belt dwellers dream of.

A heated garage may be good for the engine but it's not for the body. A cold vehicle comes into a warm, moist environment (snow and ice melting off garaged cars, etc.) and condensation will form. Everywhere. And if road salt is on the vehicle, corrosion is really accelerated.

I'd buy somethIng that lived further south.

Parked in a heated garage and warmed up for 15 minutes? Sounds like another driven by an old lady to Church on Sundays story. It looks good, but I don't buy into the story, and idling for 15 minutes prior to driving on cold mornings is not something I'd be happy about.

I'd check it over real good before buying it.

One advantage to North Dakota vehicles is that it can be so cold, they don't rust as quick unlike cars that are often subjected to slushy winter weather of 30-40 degrees F. Last car I had from ND was 25 yrs old at the time and quite rust free. But, like the others have stated, I'd be looking for a southern vehicle first....and that doesn't mean South Dakota.

Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver
[censored], 15 minutes warm up in a warm garage? huge waste of fuel.

If the previous owner was dumb enough to do that I wonder what else he did. However, it could be just a made up story by the dealer who thinks that doing that was a good thing.
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back