21 things your burglar won't tell you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 2009Edge
Post a sign like this.

Do you think there is anything more valuable in this house that is worth your life?

Why announce you might have a gun. Just makes your house that much more of a target. You can't kill anyone if you're not home. Burglars aren't looking for a fight; they're looking to steal stuff and sell it.

I was on vacation last week and we got a large snow storm. I was worried about the virgin announcing that no one was home but my neighbors took care of me and cleared my driveway and sidewalk. They're awesome.

I live in a [censored] neighborhood. I have a large dog. Hes a little ***** but he doesnt sound like it and he hates it when people come to the door. I think I am good.

If anyone tries to break into my house because I didn't answer the door, they're gonna have a really really bad day.

we got burgled back in 2011...

Wife had the flu and didn't lock up per her normal routine...I didn't check, and went to bed around 1AM after burning some CDs onto the hard drive.

A character named Brice Sloane appears to have been killing time after the pub closed at 1AM, and was checking for locked doors...took a torch from the downstairs toilet of my neighbour, and used that to grab what was on offer in our place in the easy to harvest areas.

My phone, wife's phone, my camera, laptop, wallets...all that he could get without coming into the bedrooms, or entering any rooms that could box him in.

Started using my phone at 6 minutes past 2AM, getting train timetables and trying credit card details...phone records show what time train he took, and what time he got back to Blacktown, his place of abode...Sneaky bugger also took our phone book...try cancelling your credit cards and phones on a Sunday morning with no phone book, or internet to look them up?

Tips from my end...
* Don't dump your keys, wallet and phones all together in one spot on the table when you get home...just makes it WAY easy for them to get maximum value for minimum effort.
* Install a few battery powered motion sensitive lights around...it's easier to find your way to the toilet that way too.
* Stash a few $100 in an unusual place in your shed (old PC power supply or something innocuous), so that if/when you wake up with no cash/cards, you can survive until you get things happening again (wife was playing bingo with friends, and had about $120 of $5 gift cards.
* keep an old expired driver's licence...that way you can re-establish your identity, and start rebuilding your clutter.
* as soon as the cops hear that you are insured, they stop looking. I handed them phone records and train timetables on a platter. Facebook pages showing that the perp was in town that night, and where he lived...they couldn't give a rat's...we were insured, we got our money back.

Oh...and don't double your deductible for a premium reduction the week before you forget to lock up...

Originally Posted By: E150GT
I live in a [censored] neighborhood. I have a large dog. Hes a little ***** but he doesnt sound like it and he hates it when people come to the door. I think I am good.

Me too. German Shepard lets them know not to bother.

If they do, Glock says hello and blasts them.

One good thing is I don't ever use the front door. It's got a security door on the outside and a steel door on the inside. Hasn't even been opened in almost a year when I got a new fridge. I use the garage door for everything. I once forgot it open and had some nice teenage girls ring my doorbell in the middle of the night to tell me it was open. But I now have a Smart garage door opener that sends an alert to my phone if left open for more than 15 minutes.

Floodlights on the side of the house and front and rear porch lights, all on 24/7. No forgetting to turn them on.

2 cars parked out front, looks like someone is home.

5 dogs and a cat to fight off any intruders. Well, ok, intruder would be attacked with kisses... But one of them will bark if he hears something.

Multiple guns in the house.

I think I'm about as set as I can reasonably be.

Having dogs is a great thing. Our Bella's bark sounds much bigger and meaner than she really is. Had someone think twice last year after hearing our little pack barking....

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
How come? Here's a hint ...

That's not a thing you really want to have to deal with. I have perimeter lighting, alarm system, alarm signs, windows and doors are always locked, and I live in a nice neighborhood. And, I got a gun next to my bed. It's loaded. I'd use it if I had to. I hope I never have to.

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
I have two German Shepherds. Great security and the best companions ever.

I have a German Shepherd/ Australian Cattle-dog mix. Great dogs, love Shepherds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back