EBC Plain Rotors vs Centric Plain Rotors

Status
Not open for further replies.
EBC has a great reputation in the industry, and I'm sure these rotors are top notch quality.
That being said, Centric has a good reputation for quality in an economy rotor.
This is a Honda Civic and either rotor would likely offer good performance and longevity in a daily driver setting.
Not sure how budget conscious the OP is, If you can afford the EBCs keep them, if you'd rather save the money and install the cheaper Centrics, they will last fine on a daily driver.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Originally Posted By: bvance554
No. Thermal mass. EBC saved two pounds of iron per rotor so you all can talk about how great the cooling fins look. You're making a lot of biased assumptions.

We run heavy trucks all day here. Used to buy tons of brake parts. No more.

Pad selection is far more important. People here for years have worried about the rotor when the root cause of their issue was the pad. IMO the heavier rotor may be the better, but I need two minutes to measure to see which one I'll be using.

I agree. I don't know a dang thing about which rotor is best because I try not to have to replace them. IMO rotors don't need to be replaced unless you've worn through the pads and ruined them. Only once have I had a vehicle with aftermarket rotors - they were replaced by a guy doing my transmission without asking me. And they were [censored]. I'm just here pushing buttons at the mere speculation that one part is inferior to the other based on its country of origin. But I'd still go with the China rotors.

Cr@pola is censored? Come on...

Last edited:
EBC all the way. And Trav is right about his thinking about this here. I will say that Akebono Performance street pads that are rated GG paired with Chinese made rotors would do pretty well for most people out there. But in tough high performance circumstances the EBC rotors paired with the Akebono Performance street pads would do better than the cheap China made rotors.

Last edited:
Thanks Trav. Always appreciate your expertise.

I buy genuine Mopar rotors for my track days with my sig car. Super cheap online and consistent quality, factory grooved. Haven't had a bad one yet.

Don't own too many "cars" here, I guess we are truck people now....

Originally Posted By: Trav
Steve the SRT8 has Brembo OE right? Nice brake upgrade right out of the box.

Yep, the ONLY car I have ever owned that had enough brakes for the track with no upgrades needed. The front rotors are over 14 inches, the rears are like 13.8. Not huge by todays standards but big enough!

Originally Posted By: bvance554
No. Thermal mass. EBC saved two pounds of iron per rotor so you all can talk about how great the cooling fins look. You're making a lot of biased assumptions.

X2

When it comes to rotors, Mass matters.

The thicker the rotor, the more metal in the rotor, is what will absorb and handle heat better.

I have personally warped two seperate set of front rotors on my 4Runner within 1000 miles due to the factory spec calling for to thin of a rotor.

I upgraded to the "tundra" brake system which is the same diameter rotor, just a hair thicker and hair heavier and I have had zero issues since.

Think of placing a thin stamped steel pan and a heavy cast iron pan on a roaring burner. Which pan is going to warp first?

Heavy cast iron also holds the heat at lot longer which is great if you have an old cast iron steam radiator in your house but not so good when it comes to brakes, shedding heat as quickly as possible is the objective to maintain a high level of braking performance.
You cant lump all iron alloys into the same pot. Again you cannot compare brake rotor or pad characteristics for a heavy vehicle with those of a light one. Then there is the unsprung weight part of the equation but that's getting into vehicle dynamics.

Before light alloy wheels became priced within reach for normal cars some manufacturers moved the rotors and calipers inboard to reduce unsprung weight to improve the vehicle handling and braking. There is much more to it than just thicker and heavier is better, it isn't necessarily so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back