Gas vs battery powered push mower

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
Honda.

Would you get a Honda over a b&s i owned a Honda and it seemed picky about being stored and stuff the carburetor seemed finicky

I have to agree with the positive experiences with corded electric mowers. Mine is a 10 amp Greenworks, got it a couple summers ago for $149 on Amazon. My property is 1/3 acre, and it does the job. The cord takes some getting used to, but no more unanticipated trips to the gas station mid-job, and the thing is very light weight, easy to handle.

Honda.

Would you get a Honda over a b&s i owned a Honda and it seemed picky about being stored and stuff the carburetor seemed finicky

I'm torn I did some math and it's hard to be exact but assuming the battery lasts 5 years and assuming gas costs is 2.00 a gallon. They come out to about 40 a year in costs the gas mower was roughly 34 bucks but then roughyl a few bucks for an oil change.

Originally Posted By: ram_man
Honda.

I would (did actually) ...

I think there is a TSB out on certain Honda auto choke engines but mine has never been an issue...

I'm torn I did some math and it's hard to be exact but assuming the battery lasts 5 years and assuming gas costs is 2.00 a gallon. They come out to about 40 a year in costs the gas mower was roughly 34 bucks but then roughyl a few bucks for an oil change.

Did you do the math on a corded one; purchase price and then 0 maintenance, functionally 0 cost of ownership.

Why bother with "finicky contraptions" when all you need is the convenience of an electric motor to do all the work (which by the way do not lose torque as they slow down) and maybe ideal for your situation

A gas powered mower is 'the worst of both worlds' regarding performance and maintenance
JMO

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts

Did you do the math on a corded one; purchase price and then 0 maintenance, functionally 0 cost of ownership.

Why bother with "finicky contraptions" when all you need is the convenience of an electric motor to do all the work (which by the way do not lose torque as they slow down) and maybe ideal for your situation

01.gif

A gas powered mower is 'the worst of both worlds' regarding performance and maintenance
JMO

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts

JMO

I'm not sure that my yard would be ideal for a corded one. Because my back yard is long and is a lot deeper on one side than the other. I would need 125 ft extension cord to make that work probably

Mowing the lawn was something me and my family hated to do when we had eletric mowers.
Now it's a recreational activity. There's no stopping that 4 stroke gas engine, not even if you forgot to mow for 1 or 2 weeks.
Or you needed time to get the carb working properly... That's the downside. Anything we do, almost every spring we have to fight it to start. But once started, it just does the job wonderfully.
Oh, and definitely get a walk-behind, exercise belongs to the gym.

My back yard has a lot of tree coverage and is often very damp. I'm worried a battery or electric mower would have a harder time as well.

Ah ha! Good thinking. I neglected to consider the cost of the fuel and oil. Very interesting. I use the ethanol free gas, which is more expensive at around $4/gallon here. Typically go through a few gal/year in my push mower.

Certainly, the electricity to charge the battery is a very small cost. As those batteries have very little capacity at about 1/2 a Kwh. With our cheap power, that would be about 7 cents to charge, and about double that in certain expensive areas.

A quality tool can turn a chore into a pleasure. If you are mechanically inclined I suggest a quality pre-owned model. Honda makes a heck of a mower. I have two older Honda mowers the youngest of which is 25 years old. A $100 purchase plus another $50 in parts and few hours spent on cleanup and tuneup and you have something that really makes you want to use it.

My neighbors, family, and friends with the battery powered mowers have almost universally expressed regret at their purchase. Buy yourself a Honda and don't look back.

I have the opposite opinion. I love my old B&D battery CMM1000 mower. It easily mows my yard, quietly and effectively. It makes no nasty smell or annoying noise, and takes very little maintenance. I sharpen the blade a couple of times a year. Batteries last at least 4-5 years and are easy to change. It uses 2 12V VLA scooter batteries, which are easy to find.

It was an excellent purchase.

It's not just about cost. I absolutely hate the smell and noise of a gas-powered mower. They are terrible polluters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back