Are worn out vehicles allowed on European roadways

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS
Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver
I think Europe overall has more strict standards on what makes a car roadworthy than the US.

The U.S. certainly has tighter emission standards, particularly CA and NY.

No, the U.S. has (had actually) tougher NoX emission standards. EU has much tougher CO2 standards.
However, Euro VI brought NoX standard to the U.S. level and made CO2 even tougher.
However, take into consideration that in many states you do not have emission testings. So while cars meet those standards while new, all bets are off after.

Last edited:
EU has had tougher CO2 standards because they were the first ones to trade CO2 credits. US went after NoX because they had a legitimate air pollution problem to solve not a scheme to get more money out of an imaginary boogeyman. Unfortunately that boogeyman is now on our shores as well.

Recently here in Spain in Madrid and Barcelona are having problems with smog ( NoX ) which comes from the large quantity of Diesel cars in Spain because of the better price compared to Gasoline.
In Madrid starting from the year 2019 all Gasoline cars made before 2000 and Diesels made before 2006 won't be allowed to drive in the city center, Classic car clubs are trying to get cars over 30 years old to be exempt from that though.
Thankfully i live in a relatively small city of 400k inhabitants and since we are on an Island we constantly have maritime winds blowing which keeps the pollution levels low.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
EU has had tougher CO2 standards because they were the first ones to trade CO2 credits. US went after NoX because they had a legitimate air pollution problem to solve not a scheme to get more money out of an imaginary boogeyman. Unfortunately that boogeyman is now on our shores as well.

Really?
Few days ago I am flying from Dallas to Colorado Springs, sitting next to some guy and we are talking how weather is ridiculously warm. He said: Yeah, something is up. I am like: yep, climate change: he: oh well, I do not know about that.
I switched seats. Interestingly enough, people like that trust science to fly, go to doctor etc.

Last edited:
Recently here in Spain in Madrid and Barcelona are having problems with smog ( NoX ) which comes from the large quantity of Diesel cars in Spain because of the better price compared to Gasoline.
In Madrid starting from the year 2019 all Gasoline cars made before 2000 and Diesels made before 2006 won't be allowed to drive in the city center, Classic car clubs are trying to get cars over 30 years old to be exempt from that though.
Thankfully i live in a relatively small city of 400k inhabitants and since we are on an Island we constantly have maritime winds blowing which keeps the pollution levels low.

I think its ridiculous banning older cars from the city centre. Nanny state, much?

Plus, I'd put my money on older cars being far less common than anything newer. Instead of banning this, and banning that... Why not give incentives to maintain cars properly rather than letter them deteriorate to a condition where pollution levels in the exhaust are an issue?

Originally Posted By: B320i

I think its ridiculous banning older cars from the city centre. Nanny state, much?

Plus, I'd put my money on older cars being far less common than anything newer. Instead of banning this, and banning that... Why not give incentives to maintain cars properly rather than letter them deteriorate to a condition where pollution levels in the exhaust are an issue?

Actually in Spain anything that is registered has to pass emission testing.
Problem with Europe is that 70-80% of cars are diesels, and without SCR system (only new Euro VI requires SCR) it is a real problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back