Do you trust a private seller who is a realtor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I contacted a private seller, who is selling a car on Craigslist. Before arranging a test drive I asked the seller, who is a realtor, to have the car inspected first because I do not want to waste my time on a car that might not pass the state inspection. His response was that the car would only be inspected with $500 upfront if I decided to buy it after test drive. He would let me sign a contract such that once the car passed the state inspection and I would pay the rest of his asking price to pick up the car. He assured me that the car will pass the inspection.

Wouldn't a motivated car seller be more willing to have his car inspected to lure potential buyers? He is also firm on his asking price. If the car were not sold with his asking price, he would just keep it as a beater car.

Is it too much to demand a state inspection from a private seller? With $500 out of my pocket in exchange with a piece of paper if the car did not pass the state inspection, then what? I have heard so many car scams on Craigslist. Should I take the chance? A realtor is like a car salesman, right?

Last edited:
How much does a state inspection cost? If reasonable, tell them you will pay for it. If they still want $500, walk away..

I would explain that you are not buying it unless it passes inspection. Have him take it to a shop of your choice. If it passes, you buy the car on the spot and pay for inspection. If it fails, you walk and your not paying a dime.

If he does not agree, walk. Good used cars are out there.

Originally Posted By: SKVenture
I would explain that you are not buying it unless it passes inspection. Have him take it to a shop of your choice. If it passes, you buy the car on the spot and pay for inspection. If it fails, you walk and your not paying a dime.

The problem is the seller does not live near my neighborhood. It is about a 45 minute drive one way.

If the car is in good shape, the seller should already have a current MD State Inspection Certificate on the car in order to make it more attractive to potential buyers. I've seen many private sellers do that in Northeastern Maryland.

If I were going to sell a car that was in good shape and able to pass the State Inspection, then I would have it inspected, advertise that with the car, and include the price of the inspection as part of the asking price for the car.

The seller you are dealing with sounds as if they are trying to hide something (or they are trying to sell it like a house with an inspection contingency in the sales contract).

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I would ask why he let the inspection expire.

It was never inspected in the first place. The seller said the tinted windows would fail the state inspection. To pass the inspection the tint would have to be removed. Obviously the seller like the tinted windows very much in case the car were not sold.

FYI, for those who do not live in Maryland, the only time a car is mechanically inspected is when a car is sold (unless it's a new car), or it's brought into the state from another state to be licensed and registered in Maryland.

Originally Posted By: sifan
Around 100 dollars for inspection. It is a 1998 Toyota Land Cruiser with 235K miles. I only saw it in pictures. Below is the link:

https://baltimore.craigslist.org/cto/6034890631.html

Oooooo! A Cruiser!

Lot of miles. But a cruiser can handle it. With the age/mileage you have to know your going to be looking at a bit of repairs/maintence. As long as the core is viable, is throw money at that thing all day long on maintenance.

Again tho, if he is not willing to have it inspected, he may be trying to hide something. Have your mechanic look it over well. If you don't have a good one, find one! Preferably one into 4x4s.

Originally Posted By: SKVenture

The problem is the seller does not live near my neighborhood. It is about a 45 minute drive one way.

Boils down to if it's worth it to you.

I'd say that is not to bad to scope out a possible Cruiser as unlike my previous post stated, there are *NOT* too many of them out there.

Originally Posted By: chemman
FYI, for those who do not live in Maryland, the only time a car is mechanically inspected is when a car is sold (unless it's a new car), or it's brought into the state from another state to be licensed and registered in Maryland.

I think he put the tint on the windows after registering the car. I asked him why he was never stopped by the police on the road, and his answer was that the police don't mess with a truck/SUV with tinted windows. If that is the case, a lot of shady business could be conducted in that car. Just joking.

His asking price is very, very close to high dealer retail, per nadaguides.com. Trade is around $5100.
I would be concerned about passing the emissions test at 235K miles, so no as-is purchase without the state emissions test.

I have purchased a couple of vehicles in Missouri, where there is a state inspection requirement, and no owner asked for a $500 deposit or to sign a contract before completing state or pre-purchase inspections.

And as to the Realtor bit. I'd say it's irrelevant. People are going to manipulate and lie if it results in positive gain for them. How much they manipulate and lie is the variable. I always assume that and proceed accordingly in any business transactions

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I would ask why he let the inspection expire.

It was never inspected in the first place. The seller said the tinted windows would fail the state inspection. To pass the inspection the tint would have to be removed. Obviously the seller like the tinted windows very much in case the car were not sold.

That just doesn't add up. Why would he buy a car knowing it wouldn't pass inspection,especially the way he loved and praised the truck in his ad. Sounds very suspicious to me.

Originally Posted By: JayhawkRoy
His asking price is very, very close to high dealer retail, per nadaguides.com. Trade is around $5100.
I would be concerned about passing the emissions test at 235K miles, so no as-is purchase without the state emissions test.

I have purchased a couple of vehicles in Missouri, where there is a state inspection requirement, and no owner asked for a $500 deposit or to sign a contract before completing state or pre-purchase inspections.

Here in Maryland any vehicle manufactured after 1996 will be inspected for emission through the OBDII port while running. Cars built in 1995 and prior will be tested through tail pipe emission.

The seller said he put about $4000 worth of mods on that car. I guess he tried to get some return on his investment. I don't know if 1998 model year comes with AHC (Automatic Height Control), which is very expensive to repair if broken. A lifting kit is a permanent solution to AHC.

For the Land Cruiser owners is the asking price too high in this case? Is this car going to be a money pit in the future when it comes to maintenance even assuming it is well maintained by the owner?

Last edited:

The seller said he put about $4000 worth of mods on that car. I guess he tried to get some return on his investment. I don't know if 1998 model year comes with AHC (Automatic Height Control), which is very expensive to repair if broken. A lifting kit is a permanent solution to AHC.

For the Land Cruiser owners is the asking price too high in this case? Is this car going to be a money pit in the future when it comes to maintenance even assuming it is well maintained by the owner?

If he is telling the truth and the frame is rust/rot free; I think the price is on point. Is it a steal? No. Your not going to a steal with a California land cruiser.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back