0w30 Castrol Edge Euro Formula Equivalent

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have always used 0w30 Euro Forumla Castrol Edge in my MB.

No auto parts stored around me carried it and my local dealer/stealer is 30-40 minute drive. So I always bought it on Amazon.

Now it's not carried online.
What is a good alternative?

Thank you

Originally Posted By: Jharris1385

No auto parts stored around me carried it and my local dealer/stealer is 30-40 minute drive. So I always bought it on Amazon.

Thank you

Castrol 0W-40 is an excellent replacement for a lot less money at Walmart.

Well Mobil 1 0w40 still has MB 229.5 approval and there's a $12 rebate on a 5 quart jug, about $25.47 at Walmart. Mobil might also have the filter/cartridge for you car. Pepboys has it for $33 with the filter and you get $15 back with a Mobil 1 filter. Limit is 2. Rebate is no good with Amazon.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Castrol 0W-40 is an excellent replacement for a lot less money at Walmart.

+1

The new Pennzoil Euro 0w-40 should work as well, and is currently even cheaper at WM.

How significant is the difference between the green licorice like Castro European formula and the other mentioned?

Well Mobil 1 0w40 lost the BMW LL-01 approval but still has MB 229.5, Castrol still has LL-01 approval so maybe it's better. However Mobil 1 is recommended by MB, mine has the sticker right under the hood, but that may just be a marketing thing.

How significant is the difference between the green licorice like Castro European formula and the other mentioned?

Insignificant. They are all "European" formulas.

BTW, Castrol 0w30 hasn't been green for over a decade now.

I was able to tap into the green Castrol

Where in Indiana did you find this stuff?

*As far as looking for a Euro oil, shop by approval and not weight.

Last edited:

Thank you

Castrol 0W40. Same base stock.
Reason why you cannot find 0W30 is that Castrol decided to pull the plug on 0W30 due to inner house competition with 0W40.
It is basically same oil, just bit different in viscosity.

I have not yet got around to checking on it, but there was a post last week here on BITOG about NAPA stores having Castrol Edge (including 0W-40) on sale for $5.29 a quart. I plan on getting several quarts (or having them order them) in the next couple of days.

Originally Posted By: JimPghPA
I have not yet got around to checking on it, but there was a post last week here on BITOG about NAPA stores having Castrol Edge (including 0W-40) on sale for $5.29 a quart. I plan on getting several quarts (or having them order them) in the next couple of days.

What's the big deal about that? Walmart has Castrol 0w-40 for $25.97 for 5 quarts. That works out to $5.19 a quart. That's their every day price, not even a sale.

Castrol Edge Euro 0w30 can still be bought at Autozone. They might have to get it from the regional warehouse, but they can get it and they charge the everyday low price that they charge for every other Castrol black Edge viscosity.

But to save yourself time, just buy Castrol black Edge 0w40. It meets all the same unique manufacturer specifications as Castrol black Edge Euro 0w30, is sold at a low price at Walmart, and can sometimes be bought at an even lower price when a store has a "Buy 5 quarts get a filter" sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back