AutoCraft Gold made in Saudi Arabia?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know we are a global economy but it still shocked me. It's not the made in USA Johnson Controls design with a handle anymore.
I picked it up today at AAP and it looked suspiciously dusty, but it's dated 02/17 and passed the load test (they tried to sell me 1 year old flat battery once).
Chemistry is different too. My cheap "automatic" charger doesn't switch off and the fully charged battery still takes in almost 6A at 13.8V without voltage raising higher. Fully charged without surface charge is 12.9V. Highish, probably maintenance free type.
Lets see how long it lasts. My V6 RAV4 eats through batteries exactly every 4 years. With low miles driven, it amounts to 0.5 cent/mile.

IMG_20170323_164039810_zpsa3mhv2ei.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
I know we are a global economy but it still shocked me. It's not the made in USA Johnson Controls design with a handle anymore.
I picked it up today at AAP and it looked suspiciously dusty, but it's dated 02/17 and passed the load test (they tried to sell me 1 year old flat battery once).
Chemistry is different too. My cheap "automatic" charger doesn't switch off and the fully charged battery still takes in almost 6A at 13.8V without voltage raising higher. Fully charged without surface charge is 12.9V. Highish, probably maintenance free type.
Lets see how long it lasts. My V6 RAV4 eats through batteries exactly every 4 years. With low miles driven, it amounts to 0.5 cent/mile.

IMG_20170323_164039810_zpsa3mhv2ei.jpg

Can't figure out why it shocked you. Go on a car dealers lot and see what the domestic content vs. foreign content is of those vehicles.

My "American" truck was made in Mexico......

Johnson Controls making batteries in Saudi Arabia has been discussed many times on here.....

Last edited:
It surprises me to learn that anything is manufactured in Saudi Arabia, much less something dense and heavy for which they'd need to import the most vital element.
Since we know that no Saudi would actually stoop to the level of doing any sort of work, I wonder what life in a Saudi battery factory is like for the third world expats doing it?

Ha!! Unless it's changed, Saudis like to work for themselves and not for other people. I know the Magic Kingdom is attempting to diversify their economy but foreign workers from everywhere have been there for decades...in the 70s, my dad worked there and they ( maybe fortunately ) wouldn't let me in the country because as an American teenager I was a bad influence. Being that women are driving there now, I don't doubt a lot has changed...and a lot has remained the same. There are so many foreign nationals and ex-pats working in the region that it would be interesting to see who actually DOES make them.

There are 2 types of autocraft batteries
they have "north" and "south" versions

Wouldn't hesitate to buy a battery from one of our strongest allies in the middle east.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
It surprises me to learn that anything is manufactured in Saudi Arabia, much less something dense and heavy for which they'd need to import the most vital element.
Since we know that no Saudi would actually stoop to the level of doing any sort of work, I wonder what life in a Saudi battery factory is like for the third world expats doing it?

They have the need to diversify - they can't rely on oil forever...

People who buy batteries don't have the same concern you do.........They just want their car to start in the morning so they can earn a paycheck.

Originally Posted By: KingCake
Wouldn't hesitate to buy a battery from one of our strongest allies in the middle east.

Hahaha

HA!

That's about the funniest thing I've ever read here.

I'm sure the batteries are bigger piles of junk than they were when they were made in Mexico, and made by slave labor to boot!

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: MaximaGuy
[censored], they don't know how to make a bolt, how come they can make a super complicated battery.

Because Johnson Controls trained the the employees on how to build a battery in accordance with Johnson Controls quality standards. Same as every American company does in China.

Originally Posted By: bvance554
[censored], they don't know how to make a bolt, how come they can make a super complicated battery.

Because Johnson Controls trained the the employees on how to build a battery in accordance with Johnson Controls quality standards. Same as every American company does in China.

They didn't give you the boot? Shame.

Another reason to buy.... EAST PENN made batteries!! DEKA, Napa, Duracell, Parts Master batteries are the way to go. Better quality, made here, by us. We should support companies that make high quality products here.

Originally Posted By: KingCake

lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

Good one, sir.

These batteries are made in Saudi Arabia, just not by Saudis. According to this article, 93% of Saudi Arabia's private sector is staffed with foreign workers. Private companies in Saudi Arabia have given up on hiring Saudi nationals due to their stellar lack of productivity.

So these batteries are likely made by foreign workers from India or the Philippines, in SA.

Unlikely Saudis even touched these batteries.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Originally Posted By: bvance554

They didn't give you the boot? Shame.

I know... Amazing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back