Mazda CX-5 UOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have the second UOA done on my Mazda CX-5. Bought pre-owned. First sample done at 5k miles. Second sample done at the 6-month mark. I don't think the dealer changed the filter when we first bought the car, hence the high iron hit. The second sample seems more in line (QS Ult 0W-20).

Thoughts?

ISvDWZA.png

Originally Posted By: E150GT
just out of curiosity is this the 2.5 or the 2.0?
Originally Posted By: FZ1
Looks good. The vis is low for such a short run. Error in report?
nope, many many many short trips (wife's car, stay-at-home mom with a 6-month old) hence the 6 month change.

Thanks. Then a short oci seems best. Castrol Edge may have higher vis. WM carries it.

I don't think keeping the same filter on the car would have an effect on the wear metals in the uoa. I remember hearing that as long as the insolubles are below .5%, then the filter is not overloaded and still able to do its job. Maybe what I heard is wrong though, can't believe everything you hear.

My first reaction was that the higher iron levels was due to the fuel content in the oil, TR fuel and lower than normal flashpoint. Then I realized your newer report had TR fuel and lower than normal flashpoint too, and the iron levels were almost 1/3rd of what they were, with a oci half as long.

So it's tough to say what caused the elevated iron in the first report. My guess is that maybe it's just a byproduct of having fuel dilution in your oil. The engine wear might not be linear when you throw fuel in the mix, so in stead of doubling your oci, and having double your iron levels, the fuel might cause your iron levels to go up significantly over the course of the oci.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back