Can atheroscleros be completely reversed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Almost all of us can eat better, but I'm just wondering through diet (and exercise, although I doubt that would help much, if any), is it actually possible to reverse and remove all arterial plaque build-up?

What type of healthy diet would that require? Are there any good books, etc., on this topic with research to back up their claims, etc.?

Thank you,
Ed

I don't think it can be completely reversed, but eating foods high in HDL cholesterol along with exercise will help (mostly exercise). Higher amounts of HDL cholesterol helps remove LDL cholesterol, which is the plaque on your arteries.

Eating oatmeal for example has been shown to remove LDL cholesterol, so research what foods help.

Sounds like a question for your doctor honestly.
21.gif

Bill Clinton seems to think so, but he's pretty much been a vegan for the last decade or so. I've never seen a study that says it can be reversed, but dramatically slowing or stopping the progression is possible.

To do this probably requires statins, excercise and a diet that avoids saturated fats (red meat, butter, etc.) and simple carbohydrates but is high on fresh fruits and vegetables, lean protein (chicken, fish), nuts and olive oil. Lipid panel blood tests are a good guideline with LDL < 70 and HDL > 50 good targets.

There are all sorts of claims and articles out there, but I'd stick to the ones based on sturdy science and published by the AMA, major hospital (Mayo, et al), etc. Or talk to your physician.

It would be great if we could clear arteries like oil passages. Unfortunately, we humans don't have the equivalent of an oil filter and dislodged plaque can wind up in very bad places. SeaFoam is not an option.

Linus Pauling (2 times Nobel medal) identified elevated insulin as a cause. Identified VitC and Lysine as go to's.

Previously mentioned K gets your body to do with Calcium that which it is supposed to. Sadly, hot dogs are probably the most common source of K in the American Diet.

I'd like to see a doctor here explain what plaque really is.
Many here I guarantee have a real misconception of what actually happens when your arteries get clogged. Many don't even know the real facts. I learned I didn't understand it a few years ago. Look it up!!

I was told EDTA I cycled on and off for 20 years kept me alive by one cardiologist and another blew off the idea....????

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Linus Pauling (2 times Nobel medal) identified elevated insulin as a cause. Identified VitC and Lysine as go to's.

Previously mentioned K gets your body to do with Calcium that which it is supposed to. Sadly, hot dogs are probably the most common source of K in the American Diet.

With L-Proline.

Originally Posted By: Ethan1
Sounds like a question for your doctor honestly.
21.gif

I agree...if I trusted the advice of my conventional doctor. I'm looking for an "integrative" doctor who has been trained in both conventional and either Chinese or Ayurvedic Medicine.

In my experience, conventional doctors are like conventional veterinarians in that they have a very narrow scope of expertise and most of their solutions involve pimping pharmaceutical products because they only know how to treat symptoms and not address the root problem.

Respectfully, I do appreciate your thoughts though.

smile.gif

Ed

Some physicians feel it can be regressed to a degree with diet exercise and statins (like lipitor) not smoking of course. Completely remove it? No one has been able to yet.

Try nutritionfacts.org. Plenty of information there. I wouldn't even think of discussing this topic with my PCP's. They probably spent no more than a couple weeks at medical school looking at diets to prevent heart disease.

I've read about EDTA treatments and that has been successful for many people.

Since you are looking for something beyond your conventional doctor, I'd suggest you check your insurance to see what your options are in health care providers. If you have an hmo, you might be limited. If you have a ppo or are willing to pay out of pocket, you can probably go and see who you want. Since you are in Sacramento and if you are willing to drive, I would suggest checking out the Bay Area options. Something like UCSF medical center might have something you are looking for. You haven't indicated the type of atherosclerosis you are inquiring (i.e. peripheral, aoertic, etc.) that can also make a difference in the approach taken.

OTC pills are useless according to all the research. There is some preliminary research that suggests a strict vegan diet with a ton of fresh fruits and veggies and no bread or flour can reverse it, but that is a very difficult diet to stick to. Google "The Esselstyn Heart Healthy Diet," which is what Bill Clinton does.

https://newrepublic.com/article/117776/bill-clintons-vegan-not-diet-proves-hes-baffled-we-are
http://www.aarp.org/health/healthy-living/info-08-2013/bill-clinton-vegan.html
http://thehill.com/blogs/in-the-know/in-the-know/270806-bill-clinton-going-vegan-has-kept-me-alive

I'd say that its completely possible. We simply have to start giving the body what it wants and needs so that it can heal itself. We have to get out of the way (the 'self' our flawed, conditioned thinking) and stop doing the bad things.

Most everyday conventional doctors are not the people to ask. Forget Mayo Clinic, the AMA etc etc.

Stay away from anything that a pharmaceutical company creates, they dont care about you. They care about dollars PERIOD. (It may in some cases be important to slowly wean off these if they're already in use, of course)

It would mean staying away from any animal products.

100% strictly organic plant based diet with across the board lifestyle changes. No drinking, smoking, high stress environments/relationships.

Daily rebounding and regular yoga and meditation if you're into that (im mot and dont recommend it)

Very, very clean water that is restructured to the way nature makes water.

Organic, food based supplements that dont have in them the common fillers and binders. Life Extension is off the list and shouldnt be taken by anyone, back to my comment about pharmaceutical companies! been there done that, these synthetic ingredients are met by the body as an invader and treat that way, I ended up with a very low white blood cell count from synthetic supplements, beware!

Regular mindful sun exposure, sweating.

Its about, as Dr. Gabriel Cousens says "Living the culture of life, rather than the culture of death"

Joy is important, doing work that you truly care about and are passionate about. Relationships that are healthy, a life filled with real food, real things, the good stuff.

There are many great videos to be seen from The Real Truth About Health channel on Youtube...heres a starter...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tu4UF8RoOsY

we are all different + react differently to what we consume. many things come into play for better health + some people have lesser genetics, the only explanation for differences in health with a similar lifestyle. doctors only get a week of nutritional training because there is little $$$$ in prescribing nutritional supplements + lifestyle changes. theres good info on line as well as bull. take the B-6 recommendation for carpal tunnel, i seen that work for friends + family + quercetin aka natures benadryl an excellent allergy + antihistamine relief that can be taken without any side effects for most everyone, great for animal allergies as well. our body needs cholesterol for many things + its not the bad guy most think it is as too low is worse than moderately high!! the K you want is K-2 MK7 keeps calcium in your bones + not arteries + Q-10 aka ubiquinol is a great supplement for sure. all vitamins except a d e + k are water soluble + pass thru in hours thats why vitamins like C need to be taken daily in split doses, i take about 6,000 mg's daily among others. most older people lack B-12 + need to take B-12 under the tongue for optimal absorption. lots of info to read for sure + one thing for sure the RDA's recommended daily allowances are way low, barley enough to prevent deficiency let alone optimal!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back