New(?) Mobil 1 oil filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Along with Mobil's Annual Protection motor oil, Mobil's come out with Extended Performance oil filters. Are the filters truly new and better, or are they repackaged to better match Mobil's new oil?

Since the Mobil 1 oil filters are no longer listed on the Champion Laboratories web site, it appears Champion stopped making them when their bankruptcy plan became final. I don't know of any word as to who has been making the Mobil 1 filters since December 2016.

Based on this info from the Mobil 1 web site it appears they're still manufactured by and guaranteed by Champion Laboratories.

https://mobiloil.com/en/oil-filters/performance-oil-filters

This shows the new green logo instead of previous brown logo and references 20K miles instead of previous 15K miles with synthetic oil.

Personally they've lost me as a customer with the reduced efficiency and the crummy pleat spacing shown in the M1-210A posted cut open here on BITOG.The previous version had been my go-to oil filter for my wife's Mustang when on sale for $8. When I use the last two M1-212 in my stash that's the end unless I find some previous style on sale.

I have the M1C-151 in my car right at this moment. Pleat spacing was just about perfect. What is the effeciency rating of the filter?

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
Since the Mobil 1 oil filters are no longer listed on the Champion Laboratories web site, it appears Champion stopped making them when their bankruptcy plan became final. I don't know of any word as to who has been making the Mobil 1 filters since December 2016.

This is just speculation. On about Dec 15 2016 I called the Mobil 1 filter 800 support number, and in fact it connected direct to Champ Labs. Get the customer support number off of the new filter, and call them: see who you get connected to, and ask them.

I get the effeciency part, but would that drop be really much of a concern? I'm a bitog noob, but have been following for years. Just don't really know if that drop is gonna matter any in the real world. I got the filter because it wasn't a failure prone FU cartridge filter, it is readily available and close by, the price ins't bad, and I don't have any qualms with taking it to 10k.

I stand corrected. I just called Champion and the rep confirmed that Champion still manufactures the Mobil 1, Royal Purple and Castrol SFX premium oil filters. The alleged reason for the new lowered efficiency of the Mobil 1 filter is that it was the new specification dictated by Exxon Mobil. Also, until the bankruptcy approval, these three branded filters were manufactured while Champion was still under the corporate structure of Fram Filtration. That Fram affiliation disappeared with the bankruptcy. There was no explanation of why the three brands are no longer listed on the Champion web site.

As for me, I'm happy with the Castrol SFX synthetic blend oil filters that I scored for $4.67 each. I can run one for two 6,000 mile intervals in my Subaru, until the lease expires.

http://www.castrol.com/en_us/united-stat...oil-filter.html

Originally Posted By: oshia86
I get the effeciency part, but would that drop be really much of a concern? I'm a bitog noob, but have been following for years. Just don't really know if that drop is gonna matter any in the real world. I got the filter because it wasn't a failure prone FU cartridge filter, it is readily available and close by, the price ins't bad, and I don't have any qualms with taking it to 10k.

As far as published studies with Southwest Research Institute level engine teardowns & findings after using specific oil filters, I've seen none such for "real world". However that doesn't invalidate the study showing particles in the 10 to 20 micron range cause the most damage, and that directionally, capturing such particles more quickly reduces wear.

Your application is a cartridge, mine are canister, so some different drivers.

First let's address the pleat spacing mentioned. A link to that thread is posted in this one. I'll copy it for you.

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
Here is one cut open:

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthr...al_#Post4345504

This is the worst pleat spacing I've ever seen on a M1 oil filter. One of the main reasons I liked M1-212 was the lack of posts with such pleat spacing for M1 canister filters. It's a question that can only be solved through destructive examination or if one has access to the right equipment (I don't), radiography after purchase for canister filters. Past history is no indicator of current production based on this M1-210A.

My wife's Mustang specifies 10K miles / 1 year O/FCI max. I'm not interested in the $50/jug new M1 AP oil because in 1 year the most miles she's racked up has been about 8K. Not even really interested in M1 EP for this same reason. I have lots of $0.99 / qt. QSUD stashed.

Pricing for the M1-212(A?) ranges from $10 at WM, $13 at Pep Boys, to $15 at AZ, AAP, & O'Reilly. It's even more expensive on Rockauto.

For $8 I can buy a Wix 57502 instead of M1-212, which shows 99% efficiency at 23 microns, suitable for up to 10K miles or 1 year, synthetic blend media with silicone ADBV. Dissected Wix / NG filters have shown good pleat spacing. I see no reason to purchase the M1-212A at higher cost for lower efficiency.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/WIX0/57502/02269.oap

For 1 year / 10K miles, there's numerous options with better efficiency and lower or equal cost to the M1-212A

PRONTO PO2500EX Extended Life is $4.34 plus shipping (figure about $2 if I order 3 or 4) on Rockauto. COO is China. Hard to find more details on these though.

Fram TG10575 is $8.99 at WM, 99% efficiency @ 20 microns, 10K miles / 1 year, but with fiber end caps.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Fram-Tough-Guard-Oil-Filter-TG10575/16879148

Champion COS10575 is $8.99 at Pep Boys (lower with codes), 99% but @ unknown microns, 12K miles. COO is Mexico. I have a phone call in to Federal Mogul inquiring the micron rating to accompany the efficiency and if there's an in-service time frame in conjunction with the 12K miles.

https://www.pepboys.com/product/details/1764314/00741

STP S10590XL at Autozone is $9.99, 99% @ 20 microns, 10K miles. COO is Korea.

http://www.autozone.com/external-engine/oil-filter/stp-extended-life-oil-filter/663658_0_0

Fram Ultra XG10575 is $9.63 at Walmart, 99+% @ 20 microns, 15K miles / 1 year. No-brainer choice in the $9+ range, features / $.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/FRAM-Ultra-Synthetic-Oil-Filter-XG10575/16879149

Premium Guard 2500EX is $9.64 on Amazon, 99% @ 25 microns, 10K miles. COO is Korea.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00VAFA3MO/ref=dp_olp_new_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=new

http://www.pgfilters.com/oil-filters/

The new M1 filter guarantee has some weasel words I don't like that leave a LOT of wiggle room if not used with M1 AP oil.

https://mobiloil.com/en/article/warranti...filter-warranty

"...warrantied to be free from defects in material and workmanship for the duration of the original equipment recommended change interval (or up to 1 year or 20,000 miles, whichever comes first, when combined with a fully synthetic motor oil designed for your intended oil change interval). "

" In fact, a Mobil 1 Extended Performance oil filter can provide one full year* of guaranteed protection when used with Mobil 1™ Annual Protection motor oil."

Previous M1 filters were guaranteed a plain 15K miles when used with synthetic oil, no reference to brand.

Ergo,

Originally Posted By: Nyogtha
Personally they've lost me as a customer with the reduced efficiency and the crummy pleat spacing shown in the M1-210A posted cut open here on BITOG. The previous version had been my go-to oil filter for my wife's Mustang when on sale for $8. When I use the last two M1-212 in my stash that's the end unless I find some previous style on sale.

QED

YMMV

Last edited:
Yes, you're right. Our applications are different. Much of that doesn't apply to me. The pleat spacing of that filter posted is nothing like the mobil I purchased. Not even close. I could pull it and take a picture.

If it wasn't for the many reported failures of the FU equal of my filter, I'd have that in my car. Considering one of two I plucked off the shelf at the store had a slight tear, or maybe a really thin spot, I chose something else. Maybe the standard wix is good, which is what I have been using up until now.

Last edited:
Got a return phone call from Federal Mogul. Their Champion oil filters are 99% efficient @ 20 microns per their rep. Good for 7,500 miles on conventional oil or 12,000 miles on synthetic oil. No time constraint (i.e. 1 year).

I'd like to hear their reasoning why it can be used longer with synthetic oil. Oil filters don't care if the oil is conventional or synthetic. I'd think you could do 2x 6K or 3x 4K oil changes and run the filter to 12K miles regardless of the type of oil used.

^^^Why not click on a link and give them a call?

It's not much different from prior M1 filters guarantee of engine mfr's specified interval, or 15K on synthetic oil IMO.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Got a return phone call from Federal Mogul. Their Champion oil filters are 99% efficient @ 20 microns per their rep. Good for 7,500 miles on conventional oil or 12,000 miles on synthetic oil. No time constraint (i.e. 1 year).

I'd like to hear their reasoning why it can be used longer with synthetic oil. Oil filters don't care if the oil is conventional or synthetic. I'd think you could do 2x 6K or 3x 4K oil changes and run the filter to 12K miles regardless of the type of oil used.

Oops, meant to say: "I'd like to hear their reasoning why it can't be used longer with NON-synthetic oil."

I looked at the new Mobil 1 M103A filter at Walmart and one of the older M103 versions at AA and they seem to be exactly the same filter. The 103A was made on 1/17/17 and the M103 was made on 1/10/17 (a week earlier).
I'm betting that the 'A' filters are replacing the older versions (and are just newly packaged but identical inside) and the changeover happened sometime between 1/10/17 and 1/17/17.

Originally Posted By: pbm
I'm betting that the 'A' filters are replacing the older versions (and are just newly packaged but identical inside) and the changeover happened sometime between 1/10/17 and 1/17/17.

They wouldn't put an A on the model number is it was just a packaging change. There's something different about the oil filter itself, even if not visibly noticeable.

I looked at the new Mobil 1 M103A filter at Walmart and one of the older M103 versions at AA and they seem to be exactly the same filter. The 103A was made on 1/17/17 and the M103 was made on 1/10/17 (a week earlier).

Nope, the new M1-210Af I cut open was made 12/01/16.

Originally Posted By: blupupher

Nope, the new M1-210Af I cut open was made 12/01/16.

Yes, my bad, I forgot that your 'A' filter was made last December. I still feel that the only thing that has changed is the packaging and going from 15K to 20K recommendation....they seem identical and the cut open filter looks the same as the older version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back