Royal Purple 5w30 Question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the first 2 OC's I used QS Syn blend and then Pennzoil Gold.
The oils were getting "dark" around the 2,000mile mark.
Before I go further, I know oil color isn't an accurate representation of the wear properties of the oil...

Anyway. I switched to Royal Purple 5w30 (Basic RP, not the HPS!) about 4,000miles ago, since it was on clearance on Fort Hood for 2.29$/qt.
After 4,000mi on switching it still is a bright purple color? My Royal Purple experience in the past (05 Ford Ranger, 87 GMC Sierra 1500, 04 Saturn Ion, 06 Chevy Malibu) have all seen the purple color vanish in roughly 500 miles of driving?

Being that my Veloster is a Turbo, a GDI, and is predominantly 70% city driving, I check the oil levels every fill-up (350-400 miles).
I rarely if ever use "Eco" mode and still get 32-40MPGs on average, I am wondering if the formula has changed since 2015 when I last used it?

Granted the car has only had the oil changed only twice since I bought it new, once at 3,000mi, second at 8,000mi, so wear is minimal at best, I am still shocked.

I am sitting at 12,000 miles right now total on the car. 1,000 to go on this interval (OEM recommendation of 5,000 OCI) and I am baffled.
I use Hyundai/KIA OEM filters, which I know are built more for flow than they are filtration,

Any input? Again, has RP changed formulas since 2015?

Also:

The car specs a 5w30, Synthetic, ACEA A5 oil.
"Hyundai recommends Quaker State/Helix oils" is printed in the OM as well as underneath the hood.
Which, newer stock QS (all varieties) have zero ACEA certifications, and Helix isn't available unless ordered.

On the other hand:
I know that the 4 Hyundai Dealers that are closest to me use either Rotella or QSGB in these cars.

Last edited:
As a former user of RP (hps)
the color usually fade around 500-1000km
As for any formula change i dont know.

But my nissan didnt like the purple dye lol

RP might be the only people that know!
QSUD went super black on me in the same mileage...
Motor had 30k on it....

Originally Posted By: dubber09
QS and Pennzoil have better cleaning additives?
Dark oil means it actually cleans engine better?

That's my take on Penn and QS oils.

The car has 12,000 miles on it. And has had two previous oil changes already. There is nothing to clean.

Not sure about color longevity but with the turbo, GDI, and city driving; I'd personally stick with the synthetics only. What flavor is a toss, but I'd steer clear of dinos/blends.

Synthetic oils clean better

Maybe it does, Maybe it doesn't? Just to play devil's advocate how about oils that turn darker faster are letting more blowby gasses into the crankcase? Seems to me people are of the "Glass half full" nature when discussing synthetic oils.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back