Round in chamber ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yall rotate your carry ammo way too often. I do it about every two years except If I re chamber one round too much I might move it to the bottom of the magazine or switch it out with a fresh one in the box

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Yall rotate your carry ammo way too often. I do it about every two years except If I re chamber one round too much I might move it to the bottom of the magazine or switch it out with a fresh one in the box
My guns aren't loaded with gold bars. There's no use treating ammo as such. Carry ammo is just ammo.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis

One year is industry standard. A gun that is carried everyday is submitted to sweat, heat, cold, rain, air conditioning, then outside in the humitidy. Night stand gun is fine every two years. Carry gun - change it yearly.

If you can afford a $300-$1000 gun for carry, then you can afford to put fresh, clean ammo in it every year. Is your life worth more than $15?

Originally Posted By: billt460
Originally Posted By: Camprunner
Also how long should you keep your defensive rounds before shooting them and replacing them with new?

Ammunition properly stored, and kept from excessive heat and humidity should last all but indefinitely. I have over 1,400 rounds of .30-06 M1 Garand ammo I bought from the CMP that was manufactured 50 years ago in 1967. I haven't had a misfire yet in hundreds of rounds.

Non corrosive ammo does go bad, buy very slowly and very erratically. This is why you tend to see governments dump ammo around the 25-30 year mark. That is around when the number of misfires or hangfires begins to creep up. It is still a small failure rate, but one they deem unacceptable. Corrosive ammo tends to last longer. Storage conditions is key to stretching it though.

As for my carry ammo, I change it out every year. I either shoot the old stuff or set it aside to test any new gun for function with JHP ammo.

I probably rotate carry ammo a bit more often as I dump what's in the cylinder/magazine when I'm shooting the gun. I DO like to practice some with my carry ammo so that I know how it behaves.

Granted my SD guns don't make every range trip-they maybe get shot every 6-8 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back