Valve Adjustments on newer Honda's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone done a valve adjustment on their 2007-2015 Honda? I'm at 120k on my 2010 Accord, and I'm wondering if it's really worth the $200 to have the dealer do this.
I called them, and their service department says they don't recommend doing them unless there is a problem.

So, I'm looking for anecdotal evidence. Who's checked their valve clearances and found the intake valves to be loose or the exhaust valves to be tight?

All I've found searching the web, is that exhaust valves were "tight", but still in spec or very close to it.

Originally Posted By: CT8
How can you tell is there is a problem unless you check the valve lash?

I'm looking for actual experience on here.

Either:
A.) Yeah, when I check my 2009 Civic, several of the valves were out of spec

or

B.) All of my valves were within spec range when I checked them

I'm hoping that there will be evidence that this will be $200 well spent or it's probably a waste of money

If the dealer told you that there's no need to worry unless something is wrong....I'd take that to the bank!!! That 02 Accord V6 below never had a valve adjustment and was running just fine when I traded it in.

From what I've heard when the valves get out of adjustment a noticeable clicking can be heard from the top end of the engine.

If your car runs fine, you will have to trust that the dealership won't just take your $200 and do nothing since there won't be any real change if they do it.

There are a few youtube videos out there showing how to check the valve lash. Might be worth doing that and seeing if you need it.

Is it 4 cylinder or V6? Even on a V6 it's usually not hard to take the front valve cover off and check half of the valves yourself. If they're OK you probably don't need to worry. Adjusting the back ones are where you'd want to pay someone else.

Originally Posted By: Phishin
Has anyone done a valve adjustment on their 2007-2015 Honda? I'm at 120k on my 2010 Accord, and I'm wondering if it's really worth the $200 to have the dealer do this.
I called them, and their service department says they don't recommend doing them unless there is a problem.

So, I'm looking for anecdotal evidence. Who's checked their valve clearances and found the intake valves to be loose or the exhaust valves to be tight?

All I've found searching the web, is that exhaust valves were "tight", but still in spec or very close to it.

Had it done on our 2009 Honda Fit with 110,000 miles. They needed very little to no adjustment. Could probably have gone longer without having it done.

Ok.

Had an Element come in with 99,540 miles on it. Running rough and P0301 cylinder 1 misfire. Checked the plugs and coils. Good and serviceable. Was 50psi down from the other three when I checked compression.

Exhaust #1 on cylinder 1 had less than .001" clearance. (.001" was my smallest feeler and it was a no-go.) #2 was .003"

Cylinders 2-4 were all tight between .004"-.007"

The intakes were all a little loose, but not excessive.

Adjusted the valves and it ran perfectly after. Fortunately it came in before the valve was compromised.

The wife has had two CRVs now, and both have typically exhibited tightening of the clearances on the exhaust valves. Typical of the other K20s and K24s that I have worked on. Tight valves do not make noise. They are caused by wear and seat erosion typically on the exhaust side.

The dealer doesn't really care to be honest. What if the first sign of a problem ends up resulting in a burned valve? $200 is pretty steep. Look into an independent Honda/Acura shop for a quote. I really recommend it if you are looking to keep the car.

You are asking the impossible, trying to determine the wear on your engine based on other peoples engines. I have seen it all ways, tight exhaust, loose intakes, all within specs, all loose, you name it on Honda engines as well as every other that has an adjustable valve train.
The oil used, the OCI, the type of service the engine sees all play a part in how much or how little wear the valve seat recession, cam lobe/rocker gets.

I suggest checking the valves, adjust the ones that need it and make note of any scratches or marks on the cam lobes that may indicate some sort of abnormal wear issue, on the 2.4 its not a big job.

I have performed that task on a few 7th generation (-03 to 07) L4 and V6 Accords. The 4's are easy and straight forward, V6's are another animal. Not difficult, but it does take longer on the rear bank, big arms can be a hindrance on that particular task. Was there a noticeable difference? The motors were smoother and somewhat more quiet. You should clear the ECM when you do a valve lash adjustment and let it go through the relearn. If you are going to keep it, I would recommend at least checking clearances. If trading in, I wouldn't bother unless it has a lot of clatter. Going way back to old iron block, solid lifter days, I always tried to set my clearances as close to the middle of the spec as I could. Good luck!

I did the adjustment on my 2009 Honda Fit.

All exhaust valves were rather tight on the tightest end of the spec. indicating it was out of spec.

All intake valves were on the loose end of the spec. but not overly loose indicating still within spec.

I adjusted all intake valves to the tight end of the spec. (gets cooled by the incoming air and fuel so it does not expand as much as exhaust valves).

I adjusted all exhaust valves to the loose end of the spec. (Gets hot from exhaust gas so it expands more).

I was not having any engine issues. I did the adjustment per the maintenance reminder's indicated code which appeared at around 105K miles.

Seat of the pants felt about the same pre adjustment. Only noticeable difference was that the engine sounded a little bit smoother.

I don't know about the 07/15 Civics, but on my 98 Civic, I could check all 16 valves for lash with three positions of the crank pulley. You can find this procedure on the internet. 1/2" drive breaker with short extension, metric socket, 3/8" ratchet with metric socket, feeler gauge. Probably use new valve cover gasket and seals. I believe the check will call for engine at operating temperature. Fun hour or so.

Originally Posted By: Jim_Truett

Ok.

Had an Element come in with 99,540 miles on it. Running rough and P0301 cylinder 1 misfire. Checked the plugs and coils. Good and serviceable. Was 50psi down from the other three when I checked compression.

A friend recently bought a 2006 Element(I tagged along with him to see the car) and a few days later, the CEL lights up with a misfire code. His valves needed adjusting. The local Japanese independent says the V6 models can go up to 100K before needing an adjustment, but they still recommend 30-60K adjustments on the CR-V and Element.

It's not a bad job on most Hondas, jam nut and screw just like their bikes, with the engine cold.

If you plan on keeping the vehicle forever, I'd check clearance on them. New spark plugs, cam cover and plug tube seals also if needed.

I suspect your average dealer would tell you "It's not needed" simply because they don't want to take the time. You'd think it would be a money maker for them though.

$200 is a great price. My local dealer quoted me $400 and my indy mechanic did it for $260 out the door on my 2005 CR-V.
It's the second time it's been done, as I'm at 241k and climbing now that I drive rideshare.
I'd rather have hydraulic lifters (if my 1989 Mazda could have them, why can't a 2005 Honda?!) but I don't mind having it done every 100k.
I have a 2008 Pilot that will need it done in 10k/one year.

Originally Posted By: JTK
If you plan on keeping the vehicle forever, I'd check clearance on them. New spark plugs, cam cover and plug tube seals also if needed.

I suspect your average dealer would tell you "It's not needed" simply because they don't want to take the time. You'd think it would be a money maker for them though.

Yeah, I'm surprised too. So, I skipped the dealer and found a fairly local Indy Honda shop not too far from me that is HIGHLY rated. He quoted me $100-$120 to do the valves. I'll have it done this summer over here. He actually seemed interested in doing it. LOL!!

Quote:
I believe the check will call for engine at operating temperature
I believe you are wrong on that. Honda specifies valve clearance with cold engine.

For $200 I'd do it myself and then spend the money saved on Snap-on.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back