Wheeler Dealers, Ed China is leaving the show

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ed makes the show!

The DIY from Ed makes it all work...I still can't figure out how he fits into all those teeny British cars, but without him, there's no show...

Too bad.

I like that show because of Edd. No drama, backbiting, yelling, or chair throwing. Just the car, what was wrong with it, and how Edd fixed it.

What I don't like:
-- Mike Brewer's manic personality
-- Mike Brewer's violent "put out your hand" handshakes (even with women!)
-- How, at the end, Mike has the "buyer" sniff around the finished car like a dog looking for the best spot to pee while Mike tells the camera how he wants to get the best price.

You could tell this past season was starting to slide downhill quick. Changes were happening and the show was starting to lose what was so good about it. The scripted banter was forced and really dumb, and Mike doing some actual hands-on work seemed very out of place. And I hated the sudden hard push to make them seem like 'The Odd Couple' with Mike always being turned up to 11 and Edd acting like... well, any sitcom wife who always has to deal with her husband's [censored].

It's a shame Velocity wants another car show that's heavy on scripted drama and light on actual car content. Watching Edd replace an entire TVR or Morgan chassis, fix an Audi transmission on the cheap, bring a 40 year old Lamborghini motor back to life... THAT's the reason why people watch the show. I think everyone tolerates Mike (who I like just fine in small doses) simply because he's on the same show as Edd. Velocity is going to find out real quick that without Edd the show will tank. Shame.

Bottom Feeder, you nailed it. It's a shame that a TV show that's been on for 13 years has to be butchered by some misguided "experts" at the Velocity Channel. Wheeler Dealers was the only show I watched on the channel because the other shows seem so contrived. Another example of someone trying to invent a better wheel, and it's not in the name of progress.

They replaced the wrong person. When they opened the shop in CA and started to work on and resell more American cars, I thought it would do well. Sadly that didn't happen. I used to have the DVR set to record the show...haven't watched it in a while.

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
Bottom Feeder, you nailed it. It's a shame that a TV show that's been on for 13 years has to be butchered by some misguided "experts" at the Velocity Channel. Wheeler Dealers was the only show I watched on the channel because the other shows seem so disingenuous. Another example of someone trying to invent a better wheel, and it's not in the name of progress.

+1. Some corporate bean counters thinking they know better. My 14 year old son is upset with the replacements on Top Gear. He hates watching it now.

[censored]. Ed made the show. I appreciated it detailed explanation of how/why things work or don't work. Also, he was down to earth and didn't sport tattoo's everywhere and clean shaven. Guess I'll have to find something else as interesting to watch....NatGeo maybe....

It's just an all-around shame. I also agree with JC1 on Top Gear, haven't watched a full episode of the new one because the guys just don't interest me.

That's a shame. One of the few auto "fix-it" shows that wasn't full of tattoo'd meat-heads getting angry.

Well, hopefully the new guy and format won't be unwatchable.

I'm with the majority - this is a bad move. I don't know if Ed is really tall or his partner is extremely short, but it always looked to me like the former. Before reading I figured it might be because of back issues, having to bend so much to get under the car.

I like the execution and premise of the show, but kind of chuckle when they talk about the profit of the buy/sell, because they ignore the time and labor involved in the repair.

I Googled his height... 6feet 7inches.
shocked2.gif

Never really watched that show, was never a fan of the host. I do enjoy Legendary Motorcars on Velocity, the cars they deal with are absolutely beautiful and when Peter does the negotiating he does not go for the kill on every car like most shows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back