Saab V6 Turbo oil recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently picked up a 2008 Saab 9-3 Aero using the GM/Holden derived 2.8L twin scroll turbo. Runs smoothly and quietly with a decent history of synthetic oil changes. It currently has about 142k miles on it. Currently running M1 0w40 and the next oil change where I'll get UOA done.

I'll eventually be modding it to 320hp from the factory 250hp with a software upgrade after some maintenance items. Pretty solid engines with a history of standing up to modification but the engine bay does get very hot in the Saab because it's kinda small.

Thinking about switching to Rotella T6 5w40 or possibly another more shear resistant oil because it's a hot turbo that will be modded soonish and it will be driven spiritedly. Any suggestions?

I live in Southern California and the car won't really see snow.

M1 10W40 High Milage.

It's a full synthetic, rated API SN and Euro A3/B3 with a HTHS of 3.9 cP (which is more that M1 0W40)

Originally Posted By: SR5
M1 10W40 High Milage.

It's a full synthetic, rated API SN and Euro A3/B3 with a HTHS of 3.9 cP (which is more that M1 0W40)

Does it have a better additives package than M1 0w40?

What would be the advantages of Castrol?

I'm also considering RedLine 5w40 and Total 5w40 Quartz Energy which I use in the Porsche.

Not sure if Red Line is the right oil to use here considering mileage. Cost is higher and acceptable.

Also considering Red Line 10w40 because of the high moly package... the 10w I imagine is fine for Socal but wonder if it'll protect enough on startup for a turbo...

Originally Posted By: FlyPenFly
Also considering Red Line 10w40 because of the high moly package... the 10w I imagine is fine for Socal but wonder if it'll protect enough on startup for a turbo...

Geez man you are overthinking this.
In San Diego you can start 20W50 and it will be fine.
Get Castrol 0W40. It is PAO based, shear stable, has HTHS of 3.7, readily available, low NOACK etc.
Redline is OK, but seriously, not necessary with Castrol available. Mobil1 0W40 FS is good oil, but some UOA suggest it shears fast in DI engines. Previous M1 0W40 (VISOM based) was ridiculously shear stable, but oh well, M1 kill the product.

What filter? My Saab really likes Napa Gold (WIX). The ADBV works better and starts are much quieter.

Castrol 0W-40 would be my choice. In my Saab Turbo (2.3t) I don't need it cause no mods. But you are going up in output, so better choice.

Redline and annual changes would be second option ...

What tranny? Stick - Redline MTL only
smile.gif

I run T6 in mine, but like I said, no mods ...

Last edited:
I rotated through a series of filters on my Saab. Seems they like to drain back and can be quite clacky when first fired off. Maybe yours not so much. Mine took the 3616 (short) but there was room for the 3600 (long) so that's what went on. Then I tried different brands. Settled on Napa Gold (WIX) as the best at keeping galleries full for quiet starts. WIX would be OK too, but 19 miles further away. Annual changes seem to be OK
smile.gif

Nice cars, enjoy
smile.gif

OBTW - you can go +1 on tire size and still keep it off the fender liners. I would. Helps with ride and handling
smile.gif

Last edited:
Such a great car!
Take a tour here seriously: www.saabcentral.com - one of the best community ever.

In my 9-5 and B205E L4 2.0t stage 0 engine M1 0w40 and MANN oil filters were working very well even at hot Summer days (close to 100F).

Last edited:
Mann/Mahle OEM filters are available on eBay, and while I'm confident that any xw40 A40 would do fine I personally would use Redline 10w40 in San Diego.
Nice car btw
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back