Virgin 75W/110 Gear Lube Formulation

Status
Not open for further replies.

MolaKule

Staff member
A new Full Synthetic API 75W/110 GL-5 Gear Lube formulation to show one formulation approach to Differential Lubricants.

BORON - 120
SILICON - 5
CALCIUM - 78
PHOSPHORUS - 980
ZINC - 80
POTASSIUM - 70
Viscosity - 25.3@100C
FP - 410

Last edited:
Is it me or is that P low? Could have sworn I was looking at a gear oil uoa the other day that was a few thousand ppm higher!

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Is it me or is that P low? Could have sworn I was looking at a gear oil uoa the other day that was a few thousand ppm higher!

Some formulators still use an older S-P gear lube additive from commercial additive suppliers that have sometimes thousands of ppm of phosphorus.

I use a new multi-functional phosphate ester as the primary (High Tem) EP agent which results in a lower phos ppm and a commercial (Low Temp) Potassium-Borate add as a secondary EP additive.

This combo yields about 50 ppm of iron wear verses 350 ppm compared to other gear lubes using the same SAE grade, differential loading and mileage.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule from 10/08/03
EP Additive Chemistry
Here is some data averaged over 3 conventional (mineral) Hypoid GL-5 gear oils of SAE 90 weight as to range of additives:

As we stated before, the additive package may occupy from 3.5% to 10% by weight of each quart of oil.

KV - 17.42 to 18.24 (100 C)
VI - 98-101

Additive EP Elements (% by weight)
Sulfur - 2.72 to 2.93%
Phosphorous - 0.11% to 0.12%
Chlorine - 0.02%
Nitrogen - 0.08 to 0.09%
Borons – 0.5% TO 2%.

The Borons and Calcium carbonates are slowly replacing the chlorines.

Now for certain oils, you might see additional AW/EP components such as Moly and Antimony in less than 1%-3% concentrations.

Gear Tribology and Lubrication II

Last edited:
Again, I wish I knew what oil this was as I am looking to change soon, and this looks phenominal, though I understand why you cannot say so I won't bug you.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Is 110 an official SAE gear oil viscosity grade? I thought the official grades went from 90 to 140.

Yes it is. It was added in 2001ish. SAE split 90 grade into half, the lower remained 90 and the upper became 110. This was to provide better specificity when a OEM spec'd a grade, as the ranges were quite wide before and the FE difference between the upper end and lower was enough to be a problem.
So basically 110 is what a thick 90 was before.
They did the same with 140 grade; the upper half is the SAE 250 grade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back