Oil and filters as gifts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wasn't sure where to post this, I hope its ok here.

Anyways...anyone give away oil and filters as gifts for any reason?

I have a big enough stash of oil that I accumulate from sales etc and I just can't help myself and I'll probably never use it all myself so I often give away oil here and there etc.

Well tomorrow well Today now its my younger brothers birthday so I'm gifting him and assortment of oil and filters for several of his vehicles including his motorcycle and his four-wheeler that he just bought.

Anyone else do the same? or have you received a gift such as this?

Sure! Send it my way.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: raytseng
I think you need to throw in the labor as well.

well possibly, he knows how to maintain his own vehicles but I do help from time to time.

I recently helped him replace a wheel bearing on his escape but as long as it was in the garage i changed the oil on and used up some of the QSUD i had in my stash.

I am a low maintenance person. Fancy electronics and gadgets, etc. are irrelevant to me. When I tell my wife and grown daughters I actually WANT oil and filters for Christmas presents, they look at me like I am crazy. They insist that oil is NOT a "real gift". They press me what I want instead, and I rarely come up with an answer. I suggest WalMart gift cards. (Just don't tell 'em what I end up buying with them...)

Whats variety is that Castrol GTX? It looks charcoal colored on my screen.

With that orange sticker, I am assuming you bought it on clearance at Oreillys?

I bought my girlfriend oil for Christmas a few years ago. It was for her car, but I bought her a "normal" gift too. Thankfully she enjoys cars and working on them.

I'm in the practice of "gifting oil & filters". It's a GREAT consumable gift.

In the case of "girls" I only give the entire oil change.

The S-I-L who's Saturn needed 3 quarts of oil is particularly receptive. Other women in the family need to be close by in order for the "gift of oil" to work.

Now THERE'S AN IDEA....a display featuring a knowing, smiling Santa with oil and filters in his bag.
The heading reads "Give the Gift of Lubrication!"

I give my wife and adult children the gift of free oil changes. Don't just give them the product, print up a little certificate for a free oil change and give that to them. Once they understand that a synthetic oil change runs around $80, they will really appreciate your service. Check and report on condition of other fluids and tire pressure and tread depth. Keep a record and now you've done something of great value.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Whats variety is that Castrol GTX? It looks charcoal colored on my screen.

With that orange sticker, I am assuming you bought it on clearance at Oreillys?

I bought my girlfriend oil for Christmas a few years ago. It was for her car, but I bought her a "normal" gift too. Thankfully she enjoys cars and working on them.

Its Synblend, they don't make it anymore. the bottle color is like a dark gray

I got a case of six at Oreillys on clearance and the 2 5 quarts jugs at walmart on clearance awhile back

I did it last year for our families White Elephant Christmas gift exchange.
It was 5 qts of Pennzoil Platinum 5w-20 and a Wix filter, as well as a coupon for labor at their home for the oil change (all my family is within 40 miles of me).
It was "stolen" 3 times before it was frozen. My mom ended up with it.
She still has not redeemed it, she still has another 3000 to go on the last oil change I did on her car (Pennzoil Platinum and Fram Ultra).
She will end up with 5 qts of Castrol Magnatec 10w-30 and a Bosch Distance + filter.

gfh77665, I am the same, nobody will gift me oil (which I am fine with, they may get the "wrong" stuff
laugh.gif
).
I will take a WM gift card any day (it is what I used to buy the Mobil 1 Annual filter to cut open).

I think giving oil and filters as gifts is kind of strange, and I'm a car guy. However, performing the entire oil change for someone is a bit better, especially a kid or student who really can't afford car maintenance.

I've never received oil and filters as a gift but I wouldnt turn it down thats for sure. I have asked for car parts from my mom since she insists on buying me a Christmas gift. Last year I got motive power bleeder. Its pretty sweet.

I have given: Oil & filters, oil and/or transmission fluid changes, Rain-X windshield treatments, Cabin air filter changes, wiper blades, car washes.

I have received: Front wheel bearings, Factory mud flaps, gift certificates from autoparts sources,

Our family and friends urge the gifting of consumables because everybody has most of everything they need.

I think it's a great idea. Kira

Funny you start this topic OP.

Two nights ago a neighbor informed me he was moving out of his apt.
While I was picking up a lamp he was selling, he gifted me 5 quarts of PYB and a filter for my Focus
(he used to have an earlier model and I'm sure the filters are compatible). For this I was totally smitten.

I was just pining over the 5 liters of 5w20 for $12 sale at CT I missed out on.
Couldn't have come at a better time
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back