So I used the Ford Quick lane for the first time .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having the oil changed in your car at all is better than not, no matter where it was changed. Not all owners change their own oil. Nothing wrong with having it done. It is unfortunate the deal you thought you were getting was not honored.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
The Quick Lane I use is located in my driveway or garage.
Guaranteed thirty minute service with M1 or PP with Fram Ultra for under fifteen dollars in less than half an hour.
This is why most of us get under and get a little dirty, plus we have no shop manager telling us to speed things up every thirty seconds.
Either man up and do this simple maintenance task yourself or stop complaining.

I don't need to man up as I can afford to pay someone else to do it, I don't see changing ones oil as a badge of honor. You enjoy it, I don't!

Even if I do pay $50 which I probably won't I got an oil change, tire rotation and was told my brakes needed to be looked at ... even got a free cup of coffee, sat in a comfy chair and they had the movie "Sully" playing - I don't think you're getting that under your car!

Originally Posted By: NJ_Car_Owner
Originally Posted By: bvance554
I was gonna ask why you were on this site complaining about any kind of quick lube place, but then I see you're from NJ. I had to show a lady from NJ how to pump gas the other day. What CAN you do in NJ?

Only complaint was being charged extra for the oil change because it wasn't 'standard Ford oil'. I believe that MotorCraft 5W-20 which is my Ford Edge takes and MotorCraft 10W-30 which is what my Sonata takes is about the same price if bought locally.

Is pumping gas something to earn a merit badge on? I grew up in NYC so I have never pumped gas until I got outside of the NY/NJ area. Is it stupid that we can't pump gas - I think so. Can everyone who is in my family pump gas - yes. We go to a local BP station that employs a bunch of people that strictly pump gas, there aren't any service bays at this station. All the people have been there for years and are a good group of people.

Since we can't pump our own gas - when it's 20 degrees out and the wind is blowing at 30 MPH and we need gas it's nice that I don't have to get out of my warm car and pump it ... feel sorry for those guys who do have to!

Dude don't get so defensive. I was more than happy to show her how to pay at the pump and fill her car. I tried to give her the merit badge, but she opted for the lapel pin which she immediately pinned on her hat.

I have emailed mazda and encouraged them to offer a service like quick lane. The dealership was practically begging me to let them change my oil once when I went in to buy the mazda oil and filter. I simply told them that I didnt consider $120 for an oil change to be a value proposition for me and they counter offered by offering to use semi synthetic oil instead. they dont get it. Its the $60 + in labor and 3 hour wait time that turns me off. I get the mazda oil and filter for $50. Why should I pay $70 and have to wait forever to get my oil changed?

Probably was a bulk cost vs bottled thing. 10w30 being only in bottles. Just use 5w30 next time,your Hyundai won't know the difference.

Originally Posted By: askani79705
Probably was a bulk cost vs bottled thing. 10w30 being only in bottles. Just use 5w30 next time,your Hyundai won't know the difference.

Makes sense! I just assumed dealers had 55 gallon drums of different oils that their cars needed. Hopefully 5W30 is "standard Ford oil" and I csn gt it next time on this car for $10 cheaper.

Last edited:
The Ford dealer I go to has both the 5w20 and 5w30 in bulk drums. The 0w20 was bottled but I asked if they could do it for the same price and they said yes.

I looked on Amsoil's website and they do mention 10w30 as the correct oil for the car.

The dealer should have something 5w30 on hand for the Ecoboosts that spec it, shame on them if they don't.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
The Ford dealer I go to has both the 5w20 and 5w30 in bulk drums. The 0w20 was bottled but I asked if they could do it for the same price and they said yes.

I looked on Amsoil's website and they do mention 10w30 as the correct oil for the car.

I my town we have a few car dealers and none of them seem to be known for dealing with price at least on the buying a car level. I have used this dealer for a repair once before for an Escape that I was driving as a company car and if I remember correctly they did a good job.

I looked around and saw that as well before answering but wasn't 100% sure it was correct... I'm finding that when I look up things on websites one will say no and another will say yes for different things pertaining to a car. I've also seen where there may be different specs for oil on a Sonata depending on the climate the car is in.

I'll apologize for having suggested that you need to man up.
I'll go on to say that I can't understand paying triple bucks for the inconvenience of having someone else perform a simple service that I can do in less time myself.
I have a love/hate thing going with maintenance and repairs in general.
I hate the anticipation of doing something fairly simple, like replacing a water heater, a light switch, snaking out a drain, doing the brakes or changing the oil in a car, but I find that I usually do enjoy the task and I also rest secure in the knowledge that I know exactly what quality of work I got as well as in having saved a fair amount of coin by doing the work myself.
It's kind of fun to have opened up the envelope and have done things that most of my desk sitting screen using colleagues can't or won't.
There are things that I used to do routinely that I now farm out. I've changed my last clutch as well as timing belt. I'll also never do another roof.
The simple stuff I'll still do.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
I'll apologize for having suggested that you need to man up.
I'll go on to say that I can't understand paying triple bucks for the inconvenience of having someone else perform a simple service that I can do in less time myself.
I have a love/hate thing going with maintenance and repairs in general.
I hate the anticipation of doing something fairly simple, like replacing a water heater, a light switch, snaking out a drain, doing the brakes or changing the oil in a car, but I find that I usually do enjoy the task and I also rest secure in the knowledge that I know exactly what quality of work I got as well as in having saved a fair amount of coin by doing the work myself.
It's kind of fun to have opened up the envelope and have done things that most of my desk sitting screen using colleagues can't or won't.
There are things that I used to do routinely that I now farm out. I've changed my last clutch as well as timing belt. I'll also never do another roof.
The simple stuff I'll still do.

I did change oil in my cars back in the 80's - cars were simpler then - easier to get to everything. If I was to buy conventional oil at Walmart it'll be about $15 add a filter for another $5 so you got $20; synthetic or semi synthetic is probably around $30. I can get a jiffy lube oil change for around $25 - why bother doing it myself. This time it was $50, I was expecting $40 and I will be getting either a $10 or $15 (if I can get the Ford website to accept this dealer's account info) so it's down to $40 or $35. As I said, I got a tire rotation - add that to your time and without a lift probably a PITA. And they found my brakes need to be replaced - me doing an oil change wouldn't have caught that.

I own a house, I do things for that - did some major stuff - tired of it. I work with my hands repairing stuff - sometimes big and sometimes small, I crawl around on dirty floors at times, sometimes stand for long periods of time while working, lift stuff, pull stuff and yes sometimes I have easy stuff to do. So I leave my cars to people who have the know how and have the right tools and equipment to do things. I did brakes 30+ years ago in an adult education class - do I want to put a family member in my hands for stopping their car - no. Will I trust a Jiffy Lube person to do it - no. Do I trust the mechanic who does the major stuff to my cars - yes. Can stuff happen from others doing work on your car - yes; it can even happen when we do things ourselves.

People enjoy different things, people feel obligated to do different things. For me paying an extra $20 and having them do a tire rotation and giving me a heads up on something I wouldn't have spotted is what I'm hoping for. I'll save money somewhere else even when I don't love doing it but feel obligated in doing it.

I get it that a lot of people on this site are very passionate about maintaining their vehicle themselves, I'm not one of them ... just stopped in to learn a little.

Gentlemen, I refuse to take my vehicle's to the dealer or a "Jiffy Lube" type oil change place for a number of reasons. True story to follow! I worked at a large paper mill here in Michigan up until 2009 when they shut down for good. Working in the maintenance department, I was tasked many, many times over my 17 years there to unload the lube oil tanker truck that usually showed up roughly once a month (Mobil products too, incidentally) This tanker truck had a hose on it about 50' long the driver used to connect to our riser's that directed oil to a variety of different storage tanks. Usually around 4,000 gallons or so. This oil was what Mobil called PM 220, a paper machine specific lube oil. Now this truck had other oils on it too, for other customers, such as several oil change places, the local Ford dealer etc... It had several different storage tanks on the same truck. The vendor had high turn over as it seemed there was always a "new" driver every few months or so. After pumping our oil out, they were supposed to purge this 50' hose out and quite often that just didn't happen. As such, the next customer, whoever it was, got about 10 gallons of paper machine oil in their tank. Now, most of these other customer's usually had about a 200 gallon or so order. So I ask you, is there any large industry close by where you are getting your oil changed? Do you know what is in their bulk oil tank? I'm betting you don't.

Makes sense! I just assumed dealers had 55 gallon drums of different oils that their cars needed. Hopefully 5W30 is "standard Ford oil" and I csn gt it next time on this car for $10 cheaper.

It should be all the truck Ecoboost engines spec it.
grin.gif

FWIW We have Motorcraft 0W20 blend, 5W20 blend, 5W30 blend, 15W40, and Castrol Professional OE 0W20 in bulk tank in the shop. The environmental people don't let us keep 55 gallon drums of oil anymore. Anything else is in bottles in parts.

Just wanted to say, I have been driving this car now for the past few days - I actually think the engine is quieter than it was before the oil change. I remember starting the car to go for the oil change and thought the car was awfully noisy and thought it was getting old. The oil before didn't have many miles on it but was about 8 months old; I'm sure it was a Jiffy Lube oil change.

As a side note, I did get that $15 rebate from Ford for using their Quick Lane so this oil change cost me more but the next which should be for my wife's Edge should be relatively cheap and going forward I will ask them for the 5W30 to get the "standard Ford oil" in this car to get the correct price. I am also going to see how often they have the $15 rebate on that package so maybe I can time my oil changes accordingly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back