Virgin Mobil 1 M1-210A Annual Filter C&P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you very much for taking one for the team.

Except maybe a stronger can, I am not so sure that Mobil did anything more to the internals to make this a better filter.

For a 20k filter, I would expect at least wire-backed media.

yeah I'm pretty sure it's built by champ. inlet holes and louver style are a clear giveaway. (Don't ask how I know
grin2.gif
)

Wire mesh is only needed on the bird nest media Fram Ultra and Wix XP use ...
(No structural integrity)

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Think I'd take the wide seam over the FU with the ADV off center ...

I take it ur not a fram fan huh?

I cut open a used M1-209 in AT filter service last month - it was far more consistent - pleats were consistent, glue was consistent, no overage with the glue either on the outside.

at least on this one, they did not skimp on glue.

Well, cut the media off. Nothing special, did seem very sturdy though compared to some other media.

Here is the seam seal:

All the media:

And a better view of the poor pleat spacing.

I compare:

1) M1 EP : 99% at 25u, up to 15000 miles
2) M1 Annual filter: 99% at 30u, up to 20000 miles.

Which filter is better now for normal OCI (7000-10000 miles)?

Originally Posted By: blupupher
Well, here is the new Mobil 1 Extended Performance 1 yr/20,000 mile oil filter cut and posted for your viewing pleasure.
It is a M1-210A because they are all the same price, and that was the size that fit my truck, so it was my choice.
smile.gif

That's a Champion Labs style bypass valve. But holy heck, what horrible media layout!

Thank you for your time and money. Any chance you could do square footage calclations on this one and Motorcraft?

What I found most interesting that on Landcruiser side, M-209 has less media footage than the lowly Toyota stock filter. And when will they learn to use round O-ring style gaskets? Those polymer flat washers tend to stay on the car a lot of times and need more effort in general.

that media might get more uniform under pressure but no, FU here too..and the M1 is +$2.00

I'm not impressed, in fact I'm disappointed with the pleat spacing. I think I have one left of the older style Mobil 1 filters, and will be switching over to Fram Ultra filters for all of my vehicles.

Originally Posted By: Y_K
Thank you for your time and money. Any chance you could do square footage calclations on this one and Motorcraft?

I need to measure it, but will get around to do it.

They've lost me as a customer between this pleat spacing and the drop in efficiency.

Looks like Jay's organization fired the previous Champion pleating crew and / or sold the Champion pleating machine and replaced them with someone / something from Fram before the recent split. A downward technology transfer.

I not impressed either.
When a $2 Chinese made Primeguard can have straight, consistant pleats....I don't see why a $10 Mobil 1 'premium' filter can't.

You would think Mobil 1 (Champion) would have stepped up their game to compete with FU, Wix Platinum etc.....

Originally Posted By: pbm
I not impressed either.
When a $2 Chinese made Primeguard can have straight, consistant pleats....I don't see why a $10 Mobil 1 'premium' filter can't.

You would think Mobil 1 (Champion) would have stepped up their game to compete with FU, Wix Platinum etc.....

Have a link to a Primeguard cut open by any chance?

I work at a parts store and we stock Mobil 1 EP oil filters. When the new annual protection came out. They literally told us to re-box the EP filters and put them in the new annual protection boxes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back