They done gone and changed Delo!

Status
Not open for further replies.
New CK Delo only has ~800 zddp, compared to ~1100 for the CJ version.

Guess I'll try it and see if my cam goes flat.

You would think it would be very simple to just put some kind of non metallic anti wear additive in the oil, which I believe is what they had to do. I still worry though when you consider how many things have to be recalled and fixed. We've been on an up trend on motor oil improvements for years, sure would hate to see it go downhill.

[censored] I just had to have warranty work on a $350 string trimmer I just bought. It was a new model and I even told the guy when I bought it that I usually don't buy new models, but I don't see why a company wouldn't be able to engineer a trimmer correctly on the first go around. Oops, had to had to bring it bring it back so they could finish engineering it. Works ok now. lol

The only thing left that is CJ in my area is WalMart Fleet and Traveller at TSC. That will change soon enough as well.
We all knew it was coming. Some of us stocked up for the CK apocalypse. I've got 5 changes left for my PSD of CJ.
I'm guessing that Cat, Deere, Doosan, other heavy equipment manufacturers will hold on to a supply of CJ for older equipment, for a while.

I never fell into the CK-4 apocalypse mode. Shortly after CK-4 came on the scene, I used a 10w30 CK-4 Delvac syn blend in my factory remanned Detroit 60 with 638,000 miles on the reman and got a UOA after almost 21,000 miles on that CK-4 that would make anyone smile. Even a slightly better UOA than I had gotten on the previous 638K with a CJ-4. That settled it for me. CK-4 is all I use now.

Mobil 1 TDT 5W-40 still has 1300 zddp even after being CK-4.

https://mobiloil.com/~/media/amer/us/pvl/files/pdfs/mobil-1-oil-product-specs-guide.pdf

They have kept the zinc for now, and at the same time still being SN?

Remember, it's not an ILSAC grade. If we were to check a Delvac 1300 Super 10w-30 in CK-4/SN (haven't even checked if such an animal currently exists), we'd see reduced phosphorus. A 5w-40 or 15w-40 wouldn't have to follow those limits. Now, on the other hand, what are formulators doing with treatment rates? Are we going to see them base a product line off of a 10w-30 in CK-4/SN with reduced phosphorus, blend for each product as need on a case by case basis, or simply have higher phosphorus across the board and get rid of the SN as needed?

Originally Posted By: Garak
Remember, it's not an ILSAC grade. If we were to check a Delvac 1300 Super 10w-30 in CK-4/SN (haven't even checked if such an animal currently exists), we'd see reduced phosphorus. A 5w-40 or 15w-40 wouldn't have to follow those limits. Now, on the other hand, what are formulators doing with treatment rates? Are we going to see them base a product line off of a 10w-30 in CK-4/SN with reduced phosphorus, blend for each product as need on a case by case basis, or simply have higher phosphorus across the board and get rid of the SN as needed?

It exists. Thanks for explaining it. So, TDT 5W-40 and 15W-40 and 5W-40 Delvac oils can have higher zinc levels because they are not limited like the 30 weights are.

https://mobildelvac.com/en/engine-oils/mobil-delvac/mobil-delvac-1300-super

Last edited:
Thanks for the link. I had never checked whether they kept that one dual rated. So, yes, this 10w-30 would have reduced phosphorus, while a 40 grade wouldn't have to. But, what they do in actuality with the 40 grades would be up to the formulators.

Thanks for the link. I had never checked whether they kept that one dual rated. So, yes, this 10w-30 would have reduced phosphorus, while a 40 grade wouldn't have to. But, what they do in actuality with the 40 grades would be up to the formulators.

Unlike CJ4 era, CK4 xW40 not complying with maximum P limit of 800 ppm among others, would not qualify for an SN/SM rating.
This Delvac CK4 15W40's claims of SN rating would have implied compliance of P max limit of 800 ppm, JMHO.
blush.gif

Originally Posted By: zeng

Unlike CJ4 era, CK4 xW40 not complying with maximum P limit of 800 ppm among others, would not qualify for an SN/SM rating.
This Delvac CK4 15W40's claims of SN rating would have implied compliance of P max limit of 800 ppm, JMHO.
blush.gif

That's why I was confused, Mobil is saying in their Product Guide that the TDT 5W-40 is now CK-4 AND SN. So, it is now updated for both specs. Yet, Mobil is saying it has 1300 of zinc, and 1100 phos.

It states SN, and has higher zinc levels, so, I was wondering how they did that.

Originally Posted By: zeng
blush.gif

I think they're okay if it's a non-ILSAC grade. Note that we do see A3/B4 40 grades in North America with SN and high phosphorus. The rules would have to be the same for the HDEO and the Euro oil, given that they both have the SN. In practice, though, as I mentioned, we have to see what formulators are going to do, and see some VOAs down the road.

I'm going to have to do some document hunting. The whole CK-4 rollout, between Ford's oddball position and Shell's different approach to the matter, has caused all kinds of confusion.

I really wish that Chevron offered Delo 400 15W40 in both an SM version and an SN version. I don't have a problem with CK-4, but for my needs, and probably most other Owner-Operators, is the SM version. Having the higher levels of ZDDP keeps me feeling warm and fuzzy. For folks who have mixed fleets, which include gasoline engines, the SN version would be to their benefit.

I'm keeping an eye on the UOA section. I'm hoping to see some UOA's on Delo's SN 15W40.
My Local Chevron Distributor seems to have plenty of the CJ-4 15W40 on hand, so I'll continue to run it in my Detroit until I can gather more information on their CK-4 version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back