Mystery Yamaha Motorcycle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still regret not getting that RZ500 back in the late Eighties when I bought the SRX600 thumper instead. Loved the old Thump but the ring-ding RZ would have been a hoot.

John.

Originally Posted By: ammolab
I had a 1970 H1 Kawasaki. Smooth, fast, pretty, and I loved that banshee 2 stroke sound at WOT. Engine seized twice and was pretty much worn out at 12,000 miles, didn't like that so much!!!
I had a 1971 H1 that bike ran and ran. A couple of friends also had the H1 and we would travel WOT until we needed gas. There wasn't much traffic in the early 1970s though. I loved that motors pull.

Originally Posted By: tomcat27
It sounds like maybe an RD250

Bingo
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: ammolab
I had a 1970 H1 Kawasaki. Smooth, fast, pretty, and I loved that banshee 2 stroke sound at WOT. Engine seized twice and was pretty much worn out at 12,000 miles, didn't like that so much!!!

Jetted wrong and oiled wrong. Done right they will go a zillion miles. But most riders never quite grasped the real heart of 2-stroke jetting ... First seize should have been the warning to get it dialed right
frown.gif

If it's maroon I think it's a 75 RD250. We have a 74 and it's gold. Super fun bike. Top end parts are tougher to find than the 350s but just about everything else is available as NOS or repro. When we first got ours the timing was off, got that set right and it screams.

Those were good starter bikes. Ok in town, but at highway speeds, a lot of vibration and it might top out at 75-80 mph. Plus it might get 35 mpg if you are lucky.

If you are looking for a street bike, I wouldn't recommend anything g under 400cc. I bought my daughter a Suzuki 250 GZ, which was an underpowered POS. I told her to keep it under 60, but she took it on the interstate, and it broke a valve. I bought a replacement engine and it also dropped a valve. Glad to be rid of it.

Originally Posted By: DukeOfFrontenac
If it's maroon I think it's a 75 RD250.

Example of the '75 RD250.

RD250B._1975.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back