Graphic oil filter abuse

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like seeing this kind of stuff.
27.gif

So I'm surprised nobody has asked this yet - Did you save a sample of the 30,000 mile oil to run a UOA on? I'd be really curious to know how bad that stuff really was.

Originally Posted By: SirTanon
So I'm surprised nobody has asked this yet - Did you save a sample of the 30,000 mile oil to run a UOA on? I'd be really curious to know how bad that stuff really was.

unfortunately there was no budget for that. i couldnt even convince him to buy a new air filter when i saw it was original.

Oh wow! I just cant fathom the idea of someone not even spending $11.44 for a jug of Supertech and three bux for an orange can.

Originally Posted By: Timo325
What did you recommend the interval to be on this run with the magnatec?

I'd go 1,000 miles max. The oil will be disgusting in that amount of time after coming into contact with what is surely a filthy engine.

It is a testament to how well engineered that engine is that it was SO abused yet still runs. Imagine what that would have done to an engine with 60s technology.

I'd take away his keys until he buys a bloody air filter. I've got a Brother-in-Law who has the same attitude toward cars as he does toward a light switch... use it, don't maintain anything. My sister is just as bad except she'll actually notice a funny noise and bring it to me or my dad for a listen.

Last edited:
The filter was cleaned by the free flow, or it hadn't any sludge. The oil was still tan.

Originally Posted By: OPR4H
The filter was cleaned by the free flow, or it hadn't any sludge. The oil was still tan.

oil was full when we started so I believe he had been topping it off periodically. also when I drained it back into the jug outside in the daylight it looked completely black

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Throt
Originally Posted By: Timo325
What did you recommend the interval to be on this run with the magnatec?

I'd go 1,000 miles max. The oil will be disgusting in that amount of time after coming into contact with what is surely a filthy engine.

I'm sure the new oil turned black the minute the engine was started!

This is funniest thread I've seen here in awhile. You guys are all doing great making funny comments. Keep em coming
smile.gif

And car51 I agree about the HDEO thought. I thought the same thing. Well done Captain.

While noble to help a friend out, I hope this "friend" and his automotive maintenance habits don't come to bite you when and if it breaks at some point.

Originally Posted By: blupupher

Here we obsess over is 5000 miles too much for a basic Fram, yet here is a 30,000 miles jobber filter.

My thoughts exactly. This makes changing the filter every other oil change = nothing.

Is your friend a cheap [censored]? I was going to recommend running seafoam in the crankcase for a bit to give it a good cleaning. Then drain the oil again, as others have said, it's probably black and nasty already, and refill with new oil.

Why wouldn't he change the oil on time?

I'm sorta with you. This is where I'd break out my "prematurely changed" oil jug, pour it in and add an engine cleaner and cheaper filter.

Run it for X miles and then do a real oil change. That poor motor!

Originally Posted By: Kira
I'm sorta with you. This is where I'd break out my "prematurely changed" oil jug, pour it in and add an engine cleaner and cheaper filter.

Run it for X miles and then do a real oil change. That poor motor!

Only on BITOG would somebody understand having a jug of "lightly" used motor oil to use.

I use my "old" oil from the wife's Scion (synthetic oil used for 5000 miles) as my top off oil in the truck or other vehicles that need it.

I use my "old" oil from the wife's Scion (synthetic oil used for 5000 miles) as my top off oil in the truck or other vehicles that need it.

I almost did that a few weeks ago. The Camry has 4600 miles on the PP right now, but it's been in there for 1.5 yrs, 0w20. But I had some almost free oil on hand for the Matrix. I could still use it though. Hmmmmm.

As an aside, I'd put the OCI for the OP's car in question under severe service and limit the current interval to 4000 miles. Have good day gentlemen.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Killer223
some people shouldn't drive.

...and shouldn't have anything requiring maintenance, including animals and children.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver

I almost did that a few weeks ago. The Camry has 4600 miles on the PP right now, but it's been in there for 1.5 yrs, 0w20. But I had some almost free oil on hand for the Matrix. I could still use it though. Hmmmmm.

Yeah, some "old" oil (Mobil 2 as I have heard it called) would have been a perfect flush oil for the Nissan.

I had debated just using the old oil from the Scion (both vehicles use xw-20) for a complete oil change on the truck, but some issues.
  • I get about 3.5 usable qts from the Scion during an oil change, and the truck takes 6 qts
  • I change the oil in the Scion every 5000 miles (about 5-6 months)
  • I change the oil in the truck every 6 months or so (at 7 months, 3,400 miles right now)
  • without a UOA, I don't really know exactly how much life is left in it, and doing a UOA kind of defeats the purpose of it.
I would need to change the Scion oil twice to get one fill in the truck.
In the truck I would still have to do 6 qts new oil once a year, then 6 qts used oil once a year (or could mix 3 qts new with 3 qts old, but again, don't know the life of the used oil for a full OCI).
With using the "old" oil as top up oil (truck uses ~1 qt every 1,500 miles), I have enough used oil to last the OCI (I add 1 qt @ 1,500 miles, 3,000 miles then change around 4,500 miles).
I am not that worried about how much life the used oil has left in it for topping off (I am sure another 3,000 miles on one of the qts and 1,500 miles on the other is not an issue).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back