What's a fair alignment price- GM W-body w/ camber

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just took my car into a dealer for a 4-wheel alignment today because I just got new tires. They charge $129 for a 4-wheel alignment (their "complex" alignment) and the guy on the phone said that camber was included in that. I took it in and a while later, he came out and told me that the camber was off and they didn't have a camber kit (bolts) in stock ($30). He also said that it'd be .9 hours of labor extra for the camber adjustment. All told, I'm looking at about $300 for this. Does that sound right? I think most places do charge extra for camber adjustment, but I'm not sure. Try somewhere else? I tried calling a few other places but they don't say much, saying that they want to see it to give a quote (understandable). Am I better off at a dealership or a tire shop?

(This is the same suspension as a Grand Prix or Impala of that vintage, needing bolts to adjust camber)

Hold his feet to the fire. $129 or go home and charge back the credit card.

You did your due diligence and asked about camber before approving the job.

I wonder what exactly the difference is between the $129 "complex" alignment and a cheapie.

The bolts can be changed in 2 minutes with an impact wrench, BTW.

I didn't pay cause they didn't do it (yet?). And unfortunately I don't know who I talked to when I made the appointment. Any idea on if that $300 is in the ballpark? I would have assumed that the complex alignment would cover such situations.

Sounds like the service advisor wants to take his girl friend away for the weekend. Talk to the service manager if you have to, hold firm on the $130 as mentioned. The Toyota dealer here regularly advertises $89 alignments.

edit: be sure to get before and after print outs of all readings. Have gas tank at the half full mark.

Last edited:
The extra time is probably to take it back off the rack and remove and replace the bolts, then put it back on the rack and reset it up for alignment. Theres no way to change the camber bolts with the weight of the car on the suspension. Its not that bad of a price, and what are you going to do say no, pay a diag or alignment check fee, and then take it to another shop to save 50$ max?

Originally Posted By: TmanP
I didn't pay cause they didn't do it (yet?). And unfortunately I don't know who I talked to when I made the appointment. Any idea on if that $300 is in the ballpark? I would have assumed that the complex alignment would cover such situations.

$300 sounds steep to me...He's making plenty at $129 plus the cost of the camber kit, IMO...

Originally Posted By: Audios
The extra time is probably to take it back off the rack and remove and replace the bolts, then put it back on the rack and reset it up for alignment. Theres no way to change the camber bolts with the weight of the car on the suspension. Its not that bad of a price, and what are you going to do say no, pay a diag or alignment check fee, and then take it to another shop to save 50$ max?

The alignment rack I used, an old POS at a dingy chain tire store, has little pads that come out of the middle of its frame to lift the car frame off so you can in fact monkey with the wheels off.

If that dealer lacks that technology they should get with the times. Not OP's problem.

Huh. And they didn't charge me anything, so I have no obligation to go back, depending on what you guys think. Just wanted to run it by you all. I can try somewhere else or go back.

$300 is a non-starter. I've never paid more than $70 for an alignment, and I always get 4-wheel alignments. The $30 for the kit is spot on though. That's exactly what I paid, my old grand am needed one after a rear end accident.

Buy the camber bolts from Rock for around 10 bucks, install them yourself and go for an alignment. The guy that does my alignments splits the knuckle/strut joint and elongates the strut bolt hole if needed (better than camber bolt), he charges me an extra $30 for $100 total.
He raises the front or rear right on the rack, no big deal. Find a better shop.

thts crazy, we charge about $90 for a 4 wheel alignment. "if" the car needs a "cam bolt" we charge $20 for a cam and $36 for each one we install.

Your car needs suspension parts replaced. Replacing parts is not included in an alignment.

Instead of speaking to the service advisor, ask to speak to the front end technician. Then explain to him why he should change parts on your car for free.

Quote:
Included Operations
•Position vehicle on alignment rack and check/adjust tire pressure
•Check ride height and adjust to vehicle manufacturer specifications
•Set-up gauges on all 4 wheels and check wheel run out and front suspension for wear
•Determine vehicle tracking by checking thrust angle to vehicle center line
•Center steering wheel
•Adjust front caster, camber and toe-in where applicable
•Perform vehicle manufacturer recommended shimming procedures ifnecessary
•Remove vehicle from alignment equipment
•Verify alignment by road test

Not Included Operations
•Diagnostic road test to determine if alignment operations are necessary
•Straighten or replace suspension parts and/or structural components
•Shift or align engine subframe/crossmember and/or axle housing
•Remove and install steering wheel
•Non-vehicle manufacturer shimming
•Adjust wheel bearings
•Adjust rear wheel alignment

A lot of the national chains like Goodyear, Firestone, NTB etc will offer anywhere from a 3 year alignment to a lifetime alignment warranty from $150-$200. I got a 3 year one at Goodyear for $145, that was $179 with a $25 rebate.

Typical 4 wheel alignment in my area runs $80 to $100 and frequently has a $10 off coupon. This using a computer alignment with a printed before & after. Ed

Originally Posted By: Ethan1

Instead of speaking to the service advisor, ask to speak to the front end technician. Then explain to him why he should change parts on your car for free.

Why does it take .9 hours to zip out a strut bolt and put in the camber bolt?

The rest of the alignment price is 100% labor, so it's double-dipping.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back