What is 5w40?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is 5w40 considered a 5wt oil or is it considered a 40wt oil? I understand that as the oil heats up it slowly goes down in numbers to about a 5 wt viscosity. But I have always heard the latter number was what the wt of the oil is considered, until I talked

to a spokesman on the Mobil website.

It's both grades depending on temperature. 5w at low temps and 40 grade at high (212 deg F.) temps. Read Motor Oil University on the home page for a basic understanding. Once you're read through those chapters, then come back with questions.

Motor Oil University

If you google it, and look for images, you can find the above.

The number before the W is measured different than the one after the W. If an oil meets both viscosity requirements, it can be labeled as both. So you can have an oil marked as a 20W, a 20, or a 20W20. The numbers are measured differently.

In a perfect world, a refiner could make an oil that would stay one grade all the time, irrelevant of temperature. In the real world, it can't happen. But refiners and oil chemists have devised blends that do not this as quickly as a straight grade. Your example is 5W (5 grade) at cool temps, and 40 grade at engine operating temperature (200* ~ 250*F or so).

Generally a good oil for many applications, especially when the miles start to add up
smile.gif

SAE 5w40
A (5W-) motor oil that is 40 GRADE oil for use in winter (W)that will not gell until below -35deg and will pump adequately at -30. That's all.

No such thing as "weight".

Me, I dont drive if its below -20.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Your example is 5W (5 grade) at cool temps, and 40 grade at engine operating temperature (200* ~ 250*F or so).

Except 5 is not a grade. It doesn't work that way.

In any SAE grade you are better off looking at the winter grade and the "regular" grade as two totally separate things that have no correlation to one another. A 5W-40 meets all of the specifications of a 5W which are measured at -30C and -35C with a minimum viscosity at 100C. Whereas the "regular" grade is the viscosity measured at 100C and 150C.

The two numbers are not correlated to one another in any way* and should be viewed as two totally separate properties of an oil.

*The one exception being the 20W and SAE 20 minimum viscosity at 100C

Whoops I realized I forgot what I was writing mid-sentence there: it should have said:
Originally Posted By: MotoTribologist
A 5W-40 meets all of the specifications of a 5W which are measured at -30C and -35C with a minimum viscosity at 100C and an SAE 40 in which the viscosity is measured at 100C and 150C.

Originally Posted By: john757
Is 5w40 considered a 5wt oil or is it considered a 40wt oil? I understand that as the oil heats up it slowly goes down in numbers to about a 5 wt viscosity. But I have always heard the latter number was what the wt of the oil is considered, until I talked

That's all backwards, it does NOT "go down in numbers to about a 5 wt. viscosity" at all. When its at operating temperature, its essentially the same thickness as a mono-grade SAE 40 would be at that same temperature. Where a 5w40 or 0w40 or 10w40 differs from an SAE 40 is what happens to it as it cools down to ~-30F. The lower the first number (before the "w"), the LESS the oil THICKENS as it cools.

So the easy layman's terms way to remember it is to flip your thinking around: The normal, natural state of an engine oil is not at room temperature, it is at engine operating temperature of about 212F and up. At 212F, all those oils that end in "w40" are required to fall within approximately the same viscosity range. Then, as you cool them off, that's where the number before the "w" comes in to play, and that's where they become physically different from each other. The lower the number before the "w", the LESS the oil CHANGES as you cool it to very low temperatures. But its not linear, so at, say, 20-30 degrees F (a cold winter morning in much of the US), a 5w40 and a 0w40 might or might not be basically the same. Odds are that the 0w will be thinner, but the difference only becomes really dramatic at very low, sub-zero temps.

A 5w40 is a 40 grade oil with 5 winter flow specs.

A 5w40, 10w40, 15w40 and SAE 40 will all fall into the 40 grade viscosity requirements at 200F BUT the lower W oils flow better at cold temperatures.

Oil is always thinner as it gets hotter

A 5w-40 oil is a 40 weight at operating temperature. So while you are driving around all day, you have a 40 weight oil in the sump. But when you are cranking over a cold engine (and the colder it is outside means the more this first number matters), then you have the cranking capabilities of a 5w.

As has been said, the two numbers (5 and 40) are based on differing scales, so it is not the same (makes me wonder though if you could have a 25w20??? heh

Anyway, this, I think, is my first time trying to explain. But the first number is how well it performs cold, then lower the better for extreme cold. The second number is how thick it is while at operating temp (or 212F).

Read your owner's manual though and I would probably encourage you to stick with their recommendation. But if you are racing or experimenting, then at least tell the next owner if you sell it. My truck prefers 5w-30 and when I bought it he told me 20w-50 Castrol. It was no big deal, but truth is always good. Knowledge sometimes is!

Originally Posted By: john757

The first number '5W' is the viscosity or weight of the oil before starting the engine or at cold temperatures. The second number 40 is the viscosity of the oil when the engine is at operating temperatures. - The Pennzoil Team

Originally Posted By: dblshock
I get it but what's confusing is that the '5' is much thicker than the '40'

Just accept the fact that oil viscosity increases as the temperature gets lower. At the subzero temperatures where the W-grade testing is done, oil has very high viscosity. A 5W oil is defined to have a maximum viscosity of 6600 centipoise at -30C when tested in the cold cranking simulator. A 40 grade oil will have a viscosity between 12.5 and 16.3 centistokes at 100C.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back