Microgard and Hyundai

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone have experience using Microgard oil filters on Hyundai Elantras? Does that filter cause the ticking as with some other aftermarket filters? I'm looking for an alternative from the dealer and genuine filters that I can buy in an oil change special. O'reilly is the closest store. Thanks.

as far as I know I believe the Microgard filters are still made by wix unless that has changed recently, I see no reason why it wouldn't be fine to run.

or maybe just splurge for the Wix filter, you should be able find one at an Oreilly's store.

is this the cartridge style filter?

MGL51334 right? This lower tiered WIX filter uses a normal (non combo) bypass too. I use this filter on a few diesel Kubota lawn tractors with great results.

I believe the oil filter rattle TSB was for early 2000 Sonatas.

They are still made by Wix. I compared the Microgard to the basic Wix and they appear to be identical with the exception of the ADBV which is rubber in the Microgard and silicone in the Wix. My application takes the spin on filter.

Last edited:
Yes that is the filter. I wan't sure about the TSB. The general consensus on here seems to be that all Hyundais rattle without a genuine filter. I am going to give this a try though. The genuine filters are cheaper by themselves but it's a pretty far drive.

FYI. Last summer I bought a box of 6 OEM filters from EBay for $36. Cheap enough for me😎. Yours is probably out of warranty by now but was it one of the infamous Alabama factory cars? The one where they started cleaning the motor castings with air which left milling debris in the engine causing complete failure / destruction. Hyundai treated the early victims pretty shabbily blaming it on owner installed non OEM filter until someone flipped them in to NHSI as a safety issue due to sudden loss of power steering and reduction of braking ability.
Since the I use the OEM filters just in case even though my 2013 isn't affected.

Originally Posted By: Fordai
Yes that is the filter. I wan't sure about the TSB. The general consensus on here seems to be that all Hyundais rattle without a genuine filter. I am going to give this a try though. The genuine filters are cheaper by themselves but it's a pretty far drive.
That is a false assumption. Fram Ultras here on both my Hyundais with no problems.

Originally Posted By: Driz
FYI. Last summer I bought a box of 6 OEM filters from EBay for $36. Cheap enough for me😎. Yours is probably out of warranty by now but was it one of the infamous Alabama factory cars? The one where they started cleaning the motor castings with air which left milling debris in the engine causing complete failure / destruction. Hyundai treated the early victims pretty shabbily blaming it on owner installed non OEM filter until someone flipped them in to NHSI as a safety issue due to sudden loss of power steering and reduction of braking ability.
Since the I use the OEM filters just in case even though my 2013 isn't affected.
If anything the poor filtering qualities of the OEM Hyundai filters would let more debris to circulate unfiltered.

Mine is well out of warranty, just crossed 90,000 and is a salvaged title. I am suspicious of buying the OEM Hyundai filters online, so many fakes. The dealership can probably sell me a box of 12 or something at a discount. The filters are less than 5 bucks anyway. I just wanted a quick, cheap oil change special solution with a respectable oil and filter that wouldn't cause the infamous rattling.

I thought the Hyundai OEM filter was amazing. Again, what I gathered from the general consensus on this forum.

At Hyundai-Forums it is well regarded by some, but not everyone:

Is Oil Filter Special

As the owner of a 2017 Elantra I plan on just having oil changes at dealership. It seems like that is the business model for dealerships and Hyundai. Oil changes and tire rotations and overpriced Cheveron Techron with a Hyundai label. I have already been reminded to schedule my oil change at the dealership 5 times and only have a little over 1K on the car.

The owner's manual does not even list the oil filter part# which was a little frustrating to me. I am ready to have someone else do my oil changes and going to the dealership will ensure my warranty is not questioned.

My perspective is they make a big deal about Hyundai oil filters to ensure the dealership gets a lot of service work.

If I was in your situation I would not hesitate using an after market filter like Wix.

Thanks for your perspective. Good luck with the dealership. Whenever I went in for an oil change they always wanted to do something else. Timing belt, trans flush, coolant flush...They always said "it's due at xx miles" but that was never in line with the service timeline in the owner's manual.

Originally Posted By: Fordai
Thanks for your perspective. Good luck with the dealership. Whenever I went in for an oil change they always wanted to do something else. Timing belt, trans flush, coolant flush...They always said "it's due at xx miles" but that was never in line with the service timeline in the owner's manual.

I hear you. That is a concern of mine. I need to be well prepared mentally so when the push for services not needed I can say "no". I have a timing chain so I dodged one bullet.

Dealing with a dealership is an exercise is psychology. Their goal is to get my money. My goal is to keep as much as a I can within reason. Oil changes and tire rotations are not that expensive with a coupon. After 40+ years of doing things myself I am ready to dole out some car maintenance work.

Oil, filters, and all that stuff is just not that important to me now. It is time to focus on other things.
27.gif

Originally Posted By: Texican
And Carquest filters are no longer Wix made?

Correct. They are made by Purolator now. They were Fram made from 2015 to 2016, and Wix (and some Baldwin?) before that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back