Oh that Yellow Pollen !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well , I am pretty much just going to keep the car washed for now as every day here in Austin at least twice a day that yellow pollen coats my car despite my best efforts. How do others handle a heavy onslaught of this during the spring season. Do you just wait it out. Tried the Optimum No Rinse Wash and Shine but I am not sold on the product yet but need to use a few more times before I give a final thumbs up or down.

I think that will be my best option then do a full detail after yellow stuff is gone. Stuff is very sticky and it takes more than just a quick detail spray to get it all off.

I do my best to park as far from the oak and pine trees in our complex as I can, and wash it once or twice a week depending upon how distracting the yellow haze is on my hood. I have a pet peeve for dirty glass, so I just step my wiping off to daily.

If you happen to find a product that helps repel it, I'd love to know!

Originally Posted By: mctmatt
Well , I am pretty much just going to keep the car washed for now as every day here in Austin at least twice a day that yellow pollen coats my car despite my best efforts. How do others handle a heavy onslaught of this during the spring season. Do you just wait it out. Tried the Optimum No Rinse Wash and Shine but I am not sold on the product yet but need to use a few more times before I give a final thumbs up or down.

North FL here and it's baaad. Nothing to do but spray her down every couple days and a proper wash once a week. If you can park indoors all the time it helps a lot, but rarely is that possible.

Originally Posted By: Timo325
I wait it out, if it gets real thick (every few days) I just rinse my cars off.

+1

Originally Posted By: SilverFusion2010
Originally Posted By: mctmatt

North FL here and it's baaad. Nothing to do but spray her down every couple days and a proper wash once a week. If you can park indoors all the time it helps a lot, but rarely is that possible.

I'm a Floridian also and the pollen is driving me MAD! I detail my car and it looks great for about an hour. The next day when walking out to my car to head to work it's completely covered again. I am an OCD detailing freak and this season really does drive me crazy. Can't wait for it to be over. I can't wait to wash it again sometime this weekend.

It gets tiring. Theres a period where the yellow pollen is worst, and a period where the maple flyers are worst. I just wait those periods out. Not much you can do that isnt wasteful and time consuming...

Me too. The sled is out of the shed as I'm woodworking, so she's getting covered. A few years back I switched to Dura-gloss. After I wash & blow most of the water off, I spray on Aqua Wax. Bird bombs, dirt & pollen won't stick. Rather amazing.

I keep a good coating of Opti-Coat on my car. This keeps it as slippery as possible. Most of the nightly yellow pollen blows off in the morning drive.

I'm just south of you and it's been really bad the last 9 months, MUCH more than usual.

Be careful rinsing the car. It won't get all of it off and when you dry it that will scratch the paint.

Just leave it for the next full wash.

You think the car feels bad just think how everybody's eyes and nose itch and burn. We have a foot of snow here......for now

Last edited:
I hate Spring!!! I wished it rained more often but I rinse my car off several times a week. When it's all gone, time to change that cabin filter.

This has to be as bad as I have seen in sometime. Bucket of warm water and good quality suds I guess will be my solution for now.

In North Carolina the winter was so mild I started seeing pollen around the MLK holiday. This is my first time ever seeing pollen in January.

FL here too. Crazy pollen! Car lives outside. With a decent wax job and otherwise clean car (i.e. no driving through rain, puddles, or mud since last wash), a California car duster has worked well for me to get the pollen off. I hit it at least every couple of days but it only takes 2 minutes max.

This is what some pollen looks like under a microscope. If you wipe it off dry you are scratching your paint and it will show up down the road in spades. Rinse it thoroughly first then wash it correctly. Oh, and obviously you simply wait it out until the pollen season abates.

Buy a gold-colored car. It won't look so dirty.

It was bad here about 3 weeks ago, and I took to parking the car in the back lot at my apartment, even though it would be in full sun, because it would be away from the pollen and the leaves. (Leaves fall from the trees here when the rest of you are getting new foliage.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back