Help me pick an oil! PSA/Ford DV6’

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morning All,

I have a Ford Focus 1.5TDCi (120ps) the engine is basically an 8 valve PSA/Ford DV6 engine with a slightly smaller bore and a slightly modified head.

Currently the engine is standard but I will be looking to tune it in the near future, hopefully upwards of 170bhp/400nm. At the same time I need to be mindful that I need to get over 200k out of this car (on 50k now) so really need to consider longevity when picking an oil, even if that means loosing some fuel economy.

My car has a particulate filter but Ford nor Volvo seem to specify a C1/C2 or C3 oil, only Peugeot.

Ford recommend a WSS-M2C913D oil for my car.
Volvo who use the same engine recommend a 0w30 ACEA A5/B5 oil.
Peugeot/Citreon recommend a 5w30 C2 oil.

I'm currently considering using Mobil1 Turbo Diesel 0w40 oil. I hope to take advantage of the higher HTHS value, higher TBN but concerned that the Viscosity @ 40°c is higher than that of any of the other oils. Would this increase cold start wear?

The car will be doing a small amount of towing (max towing weight is just 1200kgs) and I do occasionally drive the car hard. Generally my commute is around 100miles a day mainly fast motorway and dual carriageways.

So can anyone offer advice over what oil to pick?

Sam.

Originally Posted By: Bailes1992
Morning All,

I have a Ford Focus 1.5TDCi (120ps) the engine is basically an 8 valve PSA/Ford DV6 engine with a slightly smaller bore and a slightly modified head.

Currently the engine is standard but I will be looking to tune it in the near future, hopefully upwards of 170bhp/400nm. At the same time I need to be mindful that I need to get over 200k out of this car (on 50k now) so really need to consider longevity when picking an oil, even if that means loosing some fuel economy.

My car has a particulate filter but Ford nor Volvo seem to specify a C1/C2 or C3 oil, only Peugeot.

Ford recommend a WSS-M2C913D oil for my car.
Volvo who use the same engine recommend a 0w30 ACEA A5/B5 oil.
Peugeot/Citreon recommend a 5w30 C2 oil.

I'm currently considering using Mobil1 Turbo Diesel 0w40 oil. I hope to take advantage of the higher HTHS value, higher TBN but concerned that the Viscosity @ 40°c is higher than that of any of the other oils. Would this increase cold start wear?

The car will be doing a small amount of towing (max towing weight is just 1200kgs) and I do occasionally drive the car hard. Generally my commute is around 100miles a day mainly fast motorway and dual carriageways.

So can anyone offer advice over what oil to pick?

Sam.

I chose an oil which isn't exactly mid-spaps, but is very close to it for my DPF equipped diesel. It also has a higher HTHS. I went for Total Quartz 9000 Energy 0w30 which has a TBN of 8.8 according to the data sheet and zinc/phosporous levels of a full saps oil. Calcium is lower than a typical A3/B4 oil, but higher than a C2 or C3 oil. Sulfated Ash is around 0.9%.

I paid about 5 euro per litre and bought enough oil to last the life of the car as these kind of additive levels don't have a place in the modern ACEA standards and are likely to dissappear.

Kinematic viscosity wise you're also between the Mobil and the lower HTHS offerings.

I have Pug Partner 1.6 8v, similar engine to yours, albeit only 90HP. It is specified for use of c2/psa something.

I used ACEA E6 commercial vehicle oil ( ash 1.0%, HT-HS 3.5+), and now Valvoline Synpower MST (C3). That would be my choice.

Last edited:
Still scratching my head over this. I like the Mobil1 Turbo Diesel 0w40 oil due to it's high HTHS figure and high TBN. I can also get it for a very good price, £30 for 5litres. However for some reason the ash content is putting me off. However the Ford approved oil for my car has an ash content of 1.24 and the oil approved for the same engine in the Volvo can use an oil with an ash content of 1.4. So why would an ash content of 1.3%wt really cause me any issues? Is there a reason Ford and Volvo think a Low SAPS oil isn't required?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jetronic
the 1.6 90 bhp was available without dpf, do they refer to that?

Mine being a Euro6 model has a DPF and Ford don't specify a Low or even Mid SAPS oil for it. I've looked at the data table of several WSS-M2C913-D oils which range from 1.07% to 1.24% sulphated ash.

As above, Volvo who use the DV6 again with a DPF specify only a 0w30 A5/B5 oil. Having a look a few oils for the Volvo fitted DV6 again seem to have a sulphated ash content by weight of around 1.04% to 1.4%.

Part of me thinks a 5w30 or 5w40 C3 oil would maybe be a better option but can't find an oil with a TBN anywhere near the Mobil1 Turbo Diesel oil.

Last edited:
no, you can't because the ingredients that push up the TBN also push up the SA.

When I worked for a Peugeot dealer we used Total Quartz 9000 5w-40 in all diesel engines, and we never had to replace a DPF. That's part of the reason I chose the quartz 9000 0w-30 for my car:

Higher TBN than can be found in any C2 or C3 oil but not quite as high as a current A3/B4 or A5/B5. But, the ZDDP content is right there, a good 20% up from a C2/C3 oil. Aolso, the base oil contains nearly 50% PAO, so isn't inferior to the mid-saps oils either.

I'll look for the comparison tables that Volodymir posted, so you can see how little difference in SAPS there is with a C3 oil.

Ordered 5litres of Quartz 9000 0w30!
Think you're right. It's a good compromise between SAPS, HTHS and it's also quite a heavy 0w30.

and it's not an expensive oil to boot! Not quite the cheapest either though...

I'd be interested in your observations; I can report a quieter running diesel engine with some heat in it. The engine goes into quiet mode before the coolant temp moves from it's stop, so below 50°C. I didn't get that when I used Castrol Edge Turbo Diesel 5w40. Less noise might not mean anything regarding friction or wear, but it's about the only thing I can qualify as a user.

The SynPower MST C3 5W-30 is ideal, with the Everglide EGC oil additive to up your mpg, and reduce wear and friction. Good to protect your parts too.

The Total Quartz 9000 0w30 went in last week. Can I notice any difference? Nope, BUT I do feel like it's better for my engine. Placebo? Probably.
I do think I can hear my turbo whistle a bit more at WOT but again the weather has just brightened up here in the UK so tend to have my foot down more and the window down to boot.

Just waiting for the UOA to come back for the Castrol Edge 0w30 A5/B5 which was in for 5400miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back