Graphic oil filter abuse

Status
Not open for further replies.
off a friends 02 Nissan Altima 2.5

He hadn't changed the oil since he bought it at 60k. has 90k now. The Grease Monkey sticker was from early 2015. replaced with a Fram Ultra and some Magnatec 5w30.

figured he got lucky that it didn't break apart into his engine too badly.

I also replaced the manifold cat which was so plugged up it had burnt off the upstream o2 sensor tip, tranny fluid to maxlife atf, and put new plugs into it

gHz8dyt.jpg

7CYfOQW.jpg

jvEdnRU.jpg

2N9mH9A.jpg

5JE0x8p.jpg

6pByI7u.jpg

CAFLXcd.jpg

jVIlqVW.jpg

Uvp4QEj.jpg

jF4mKZe.jpg

Originally Posted By: E150GT
how did the oil look when it drained? Was it chunky?

yea a litte bit,looked like curdled milk that was midnight black

Holy tear!! Or holes
frown.gif

Good on you for helping him. Take a gander at that "filth" on baseplate and oil
Looks like used HDEO stuff
37.gif

Well hey, you have him set up for another 30,000 miles.
crazy2.gif

Here we obsess over is 5000 miles too much for a basic Fram, yet here is a 30,000 miles jobber filter. Sure it was probably in bypass mode for the past 10,000 miles, but hey...

Originally Posted By: blupupher
Well hey, you have him set up for another 30,000 miles.
crazy2.gif

Here we obsess over is 5000 miles too much for a basic Fram, yet here is a 30,000 miles jobber filter. Sure it was probably in bypass mode for the past 10,000 miles, but hey...

Yep, those holes thru media are more "free flowing"
smile.gif

How's the oil consumption? My brother's '02 Altima 2.5 just passed 165K, he had to put a converter/header assy. & O2 sensors on it due to the sensor bung actually rusting off of it! It was full of dust when they took it off, but miraculously it's still not burning oil! Guess those full synthetic (usually PP, Valvoline Synpower or MaxLife Syn 5W30) & Fram Ultra oil changes saved it! Unfortunately his floorboards look like the pleats of that filter (total rusted out).

That is bad. Good call on the rest of the work with it. I imagine it's gonna take a bit to clean some of that out. I wonder what pics would look like with the valve cover off
smile.gif
?

Originally Posted By: car51
Holy tear!! Or holes
frown.gif

Good on you for helping him. Take a gander at that "filth" on baseplate and oil
Looks like used HDEO stuff
37.gif

thats what i told him when we were draining it haha. the shop wanted $1700 to do it which wasn't really doable haha. the car was obviously neglected though so I dont blame them for the high qoute.

so what made him decide to change the oil? I am curious why people pay good money for a car and dont maintain it. I am thinking maybe a light on his car went off?

Why do people pay good money for stuff and then treat it as though it's free?
I don't get it.
A nice, low miles older Altima treated like a POS beater?
Why?
He's lucky that you caught the engine killing manifold cat.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Why do people pay good money for stuff and then treat it as though it's free?
I don't get it.
A nice, low miles older Altima treated like a POS beater?
Why?
He's lucky that you caught the engine killing manifold cat.

+1000

I bet the new oil is pretty dark already after just a short time. Probably in a week it will be dark as midnight.

Originally Posted By: E150GT
so what made him decide to change the oil? I am curious why people pay good money for a car and dont maintain it. I am thinking maybe a light on his car went off?

only because i told him we should when we were workin on it

Edit- the original problem was loss of power due to the cat being plugged. also overheated when this was happening

Originally Posted By: Timo325
What did you recommend the interval to be on this run with the magnatec?

I told him we should change it in no more than 5000 miles due to probable sludge buildup. put the fram ultra on due to the likelihood that it would be on there a awhile haha

Last edited:
...and your friend will be wondering why the engine died before 100000 miles...

Originally Posted By: Kuato
...and your friend will be wondering why the engine died before 100000 miles...

yeah tellin everyone he knows how big of a POS Nissans are

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back