Cooper Cobra Radial Gt's

Status
Not open for further replies.

What do you guys think of Cooper tires. I am getting ready to replace my Futura (Cooper) 215/65R 15's with 235/60R 15 Cooper Cobras on my 86 Regal T Type. Like the look of the somewhat larger tire.

Cooper tires are fine, and in fact the CS5 Ultra is a BITOG favorite. But the Cobra Radial GT isn't the greatest tire around, but cool if you like the white letters (they are cool, so I can't blame you).

Pep Boys Futura tires are made by Cooper, and I think the GLS Sport (or whatever the white letter one is) is a rebadged Cooper Cobra GT.

Cooper makes decent quality tires, but the CS5 is MUCH better than the Cobra Radial GT.

I assume you want them for the looks with the raised white letters?

Honestly they are antiques. I had a set on my Century and they wore ridiculously fast.

I now have Cooper cs5 Grand touring wearing much better

That's a old school tire mostly for classic cars. Its not great at anything other than fitting old wheels and looking like a classic tire that could have come on it when the car was new.

Originally Posted By: Jimzz
That's a old school tire mostly for classic cars. Its not great at anything other than fitting old wheels and looking like a classic tire that could have come on it when the car was new.

+1

I had them on a 1991 Century and I clawed though some really rotten weather with them. I think partly because the 185 width cut the snow so well.

I did have a sidewall defect and have to exchange one in the first few days, but this was many years ago.

I have these on the front of my B2300; nothing bad to say about them. In fact I prefer them over the Discoverer HT I have on the back

I checked my records and I don't know when I put them on there. Suspect they have been on there 35K or so based on other maintenance items I've done.

Not sure what 'old school' tires are whether that means appearance only

i have CS5s all around on (2) other cars and I think you should entertain those.

Originally Posted By: 007
What do you guys think of Cooper tires. I am getting ready to replace my Futura (Cooper) 215/65R 15's with 235/60R 15 Cooper Cobras on my 86 Regal T Type. Like the look of the somewhat larger tire.

I'll let you know. I just put in an order for a set of 4 for my '66 Polara. Its had BFG Radial T/A's for years (currently date-coded 2003... yikes!!) and my Coronet R/T has (much newer) BFG's also. But I keep reading good things about Cooper Cobras, so I figured I'd give them a try. They are about $50/tire cheaper than the BFGs in the size I use on the Polara.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts

Not sure what 'old school' tires are whether that means appearance only

i have CS5s all around on (2) other cars and I think you should entertain those.

Tires like Cobras and BFG Radial T/As are still widely available in all the sizes that were common from the 60s, through the 80s. People like to sling the "old school" insult around, but the actual tires have been updated and refined endlessly. The Radial T/A you buy today is nothing at all like the ones I was buying in 1985, not even close. They're quite good, though they don't have the high speed ratings that tires like Michelin Pilots and the like do. Find me a Pilot in 255/60-15 and I'd be all over it. No way I'm worsening the already marginal handling by putting 20-inch donk wheels on a muscle car suspension designed for more compliance in the tire, though.

I had two VW Beetles, at different times, a 1963 and 67 and used those on both cars. That is my only experience with them. Which based on the vehicles and the age of them compared to modern ones is a hard comparison. For what it's worth they were great tires and I quite like them.

Originally Posted By: Lubener
Every Cooper tire I have owned had sidewall/tread cracking.

Which ones?

Which ones?

Several models. Discoverer for my truck, Lifeliner and Trendsetter.

Lubener said:

Which ones?

Discovers, Lifeliner Touring and Trendsetter. The Discoverers cracked and would get flat spots after parking and would go away after a few miles driving. The Lifeliners also could not get them to ride smooth at high speeds. The Trendsetters were pure junk. They were replaced under some kind of recall for cracking and ply edge separation. The replacement Trendsetters eventually did the same thing after a year or so. The tires I have been very satisfied lately are the Hankooks and would buy them again.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back